Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

First Pass on new combo & BOOM

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 09:39 PM

Now theres 2 different scenarios.

Is the Torque Arm ripping or are the bolts being sheared off? A friend up here had the same incident last year, but I can't remember which it was on his.

Anyone notice what Grade of Fasteners are used for the Torque Arm mount? If they're just cheapies then a Grade 8 should do the trick. If they're supplying Grade 8 with the Rear, then maybe we should start looking into some $5+ apiece NAS bolts.

------------------
Kurtis Tamez
LT4-396.com
97 Z28 LT4-396
94 Firehawk LT1-396

Team NW F-Body
Old 07-18-2002, 07:04 AM
red

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rich Johnston:

I suspect that the problem was pinion angle created by the Moser. I had to do quite a bit of adjustment with my new BMR arm to get it within spec. Did you check your pinion angle with the Moser? My car only makes about 350-360 rwhp so it wasn't a power thing.

Rich

Rich
</font>
Sure did. I set the pinion the day before to -3 deg. Unfortunatly I did not check the mounting bolts. If that thought crossed my mind I would probably have saved myself alot of money and hassel.

BTW - I still have not recieved my new TQ arm from Spohn. I ordered it Monday with Next Day air. I called and left a message Wed and Thurs and have not been called back. I also send a email with no response. Now there is a message on there order line saying they are on vacay until Tuesday

Just another thing to **** me off. They better not charge me for overnight shipping if it does arrive before Tuesday.

------------------
95Z M6

and a few other mods
Old 07-18-2002, 06:37 PM
Rich Johnston

Mine was not caused by loose bolts, at least not the second time around. I had them really tight right before I went to the strip (because I thought loose bolts were probably to blame the first time). The torque arm did shear off the bolts, although one of the bolts was bent slightly as well. The Moser comes with Grade 8s. I replaced them after I broke one arm with new Grade 8s and the second TA broke the same way.

I'm not happy to hear about bolts stripping the threads out of the Moser housing. Even my new stronger torque arm would sold that. In fact, since the mounting plate is thicker I probably have fewer threads engaged...greatttt....

Rich

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by red:

Oh sure...now you tell me

</font>

Old 07-18-2002, 07:45 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rich Johnston:

I'm not happy to hear about bolts stripping the threads out of the Moser housing. Even my new stronger torque arm would sold that. In fact, since the mounting plate is thicker I probably have fewer threads engaged...greatttt....

Rich
</font>
A Longer bolt would fix the Thread count I'd assume.....

If you want to take the bolt strength to the next level contact RJ Race Cars or their Mail order division at www.quartermax.com and look into getting some NAS Hardware. If you're still have problems.... well theres gotta be more serious issues causing it.... In actuallity, shouldn't even need to go this far, LOL.

http://www.quartermax.com/catalogpages/Hardware-NAS.php

Good luck!

------------------
Kurtis Tamez
LT4-396.com
97 Z28 LT4-396
94 Firehawk LT1-396

Team NW F-Body
Old 07-18-2002, 09:13 PM
GP Moderator

Exclamation

My Moser liked to back the the bolts out. Nothing to do w/ a weak bolt...the bolts just didn't like to stay tight.

I ended up cleaning everything up, drenching them in Loctite, and tightening the living **** out of them.

I had a stock torque arm until I destroyed it....luckily, I didn't tear it off. Just bent it and cracked it in a couple of places. My Spohn has held up much better.

------------------
94 Firebird Formula Ram-Air, M6, T-tops, N2O, 12-Bolt, Bolt-Ons; was running 11's internally stock.432.8 RWHP / 588.4 RWTQ
No new times or dyno numbers with new top end (CC306, 1.6RR's, ported heads, etc.)
Old 07-19-2002, 04:10 PM

I am about to be using a Spohn Torque Arm and Moser 12 Bolt. Whats the way to not have this happen? Lot's of Loctite and tighten the bolts really good or is it a different problem? I would prefer the LS1 Driveshaft to be the weak link in the drivetrain and not a expensive torque arm and rearend!
Old 07-21-2002, 09:43 AM

I tore the stocker off myself, broke the driveshaft, ebrake lines got severed, pinion yoke went bye bye as well
Oh the fun
Make sure you got the longest bolts in there and tighten the **** out of them. If you are running a stock ta weld a plate on top and bottom of the ta where the bolt holes go through and reinforce that area some.

Steven

------------------
383 Inches of stroked turbocharged fun.
If one is good shouldnt 2 be great?????
TURBO=TORQUE
TORQUE=FUN

My Car