Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Don't Street Race (8 killed)!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by buzz12586
This place is a great place to race if idiots aren't doing 100 mph with their lights off.
You definitely don’t get it! Eight dead, others injured and you give the organizers and racers a free-pass because they race the "safest way possible" (on a public street of course) and then hold a driver who stumbled into everything at fault! Brilliant!

WD
Old 02-17-2008, 01:22 PM

This place is a great place to race if idiots aren't doing 100 mph with their lights off.
The idiots would be the ones out there racing and watching without having there backs covered.
We had a spot that was as "FOOL" proff as it gets. It was actually safer than an old track they closed down around here. But nothing is totally safe, even a race track. But yours odds are much better at the track.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:53 PM

track (legal) racing is the safest and only way to have an organized race IMO

but i do run the occasional guy at a red light but nothing crazy
Old 02-17-2008, 08:08 PM

And you know this how?? Because the people breaking the law said so??? Give me a ****ing break. So a bunch of people breaking the law said the lights on a car that has automatic lights were out and he was doing 100mph. Do you suppose their radar guns were calibrated??? You gotta be kidding me.

So its ok for the people to be standing in the smokey road in the dark at 4am, but it is obvious to you that the poor sapp that was minding his own business driving down a road was at fault. Makes perfect sense to me??????

So the drag racers are ok driving 100mph, but its not ok for the regular guy in the crown Vic.

I read somewhere that one of the dead guys had his 27 year old daughter there with her 6 year old son. AT 4AM MY 9 YEAR OLD IS IN BED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Banned

Payoffs....

But they are not actively looking for the drivers who were taking part in the illegal race because they were not directly involved in the crash, Lewis said.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...FafXQD8US89880
Old 02-17-2008, 09:19 PM

I know these people. I have been out with them numerous times and I believe what they say. Why would these people step into the road if they saw headlights coming? Does that make any sense to you?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Banned

I know these people. I have been out with them numerous times and I believe what they say. Why would these people step into the road if they saw headlights coming? Does that make any sense to you?
none at all......

You can see/hear a car coming......why wouldn't they get the **** out of the way........

The real story will come out, but noone will want to hear it.

And they will be out there again next weekend( maybe not, cause the track opens next week)
Old 02-17-2008, 10:16 PM

It really doesnt make much sense to me to be in a smokey road in the dark in the first place. So whether they saw headlights or not, why were they in the middle of the road to begin with?

So the ones breaking the law and standing in the middle of the road watching a street race are given a pass by you and the one you think didnt have his headlights(even though that hasnt been proven and the car had auto headlights) on should be hung?? OK that makes sense. LOL.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mnypitTA
It really doesnt make much sense to me to be in a smokey road in the dark in the first place. So whether they saw headlights or not, why were they in the middle of the road to begin with?

So the ones breaking the law and standing in the middle of the road watching a street race are given a pass by you and the one you think didnt have his headlights(even though that hasnt been proven and the car had auto headlights) on should be hung?? OK that makes sense. LOL.
How do you know they were just standing in the middle of the road? how do you know they weren't on the side of the road...or running in the ditch....

I like how they took pics of the vic after they pulled it out of the ditch to make it look like it never left the highway.

Let me ask you this......if the road was filled with smoke....and I don't think it was. Would you hear a car coming down the road doing the speed limit? 55mph? even with no lights on you would hear it and get the **** out of the road.

Your a little too hyped up man placing blame on people standing in the road and calling names......I don't think anyone left home trying to get killed or kill anyone else. We don't know the facts...but what has been put out there does not add up. And its nice how you never heard anything else about it today......makes you wonder. They do anything they can to get a story even if it is stretching the truth
Old 02-17-2008, 10:52 PM

I think its you guys are stretching the truth. You so want to think that people who were breaking the law can be "truthful" when in fact, they have a very real and legal interest in lying to minimize their culpability. Whatever. Stay fooled if you want. It's habit forming so just be careful.

1) The late model Crown vic is equipped with auto headlights which have a very low incidence of failure.
2) A car doing 100 MPH is traveling at 147 feet per second. The car, after hitting its brakes, and hitting the people, traveled only 130 feet after impact. Forensics will most likely show that it couldn't have been doing 100 MPH when it had the accident, for the damage to slow the car to a stop in only 130 ft. would have been terrific. We dont know the initial speed of the car, but it was probably typical of the same kinds of speeds that we all drive at night: 60 MPH.

Facts are that the Crown Vic had a legal right to be in that road whereas the people did not. Let's be sensitive to both sides where there are victims: That driver of the car is a victim, too. Don't attempt to make him out to be the bad guy when there's no proof whatsoever, except some hearsay from people who are most likely in legal trouble for assembling for what is an illegal and dangerous sport.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 AM

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, as I am not very familiar with the specifics of this incident..., but the numbers and the story seem kinda messed up...

Lets say your driving down a long highway at night with your brites on and you see a giant smoke cloud, or w/e could be blamed for corrupting his vision, by the time you got to the thing wouldn't you have at least slowed down enough were you didn't go 130 feet after impact? This kinda sounds like he was either drunk, high, extremly stupid, or he couldn't see very far down the road... Soooo whats up with that?

The spectators were dumb as well...

WOW, none of this really makes sense does it?
Old 02-18-2008, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by ws6transam

The car, after hitting its brakes, and hitting the people, traveled only 130 feet after impact.
How long were the skid marks before impact?

Does anybody know if most of the people were hit on or off the road?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:08 AM

Despite what some people say there is a way to drive fast on the street. Am I condoning street racing? No its illegal and can get you into very serious trouble. Having said that I have been street racing since I was old enough to buy speed parts. I am now 38 years old. I am not out in the scene very much anymore but there was a time when I went out every weekend. My driving record is completely clean, no tickets, no accidents. And I was in the thick of it for years.
The fact of the matter is you have to take responsibility for yourself. The guys racing the cars did not make those idiots stand out in the middle of a hiway at 4 am. If your that dumb you need to be taken out of the gene pool.
Sorry if this sounds harsh but I am so tired of people blaming someone else for thier bad decisions.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:24 PM

Couple of quotes from people who know the area. Seems like street racing has been going on this stretch of road since the 60's. Quotes are from the fellow who has the GTO with the 2 stacked blowers. You probably seen it on u-tube

OK.....I had friends who were there. I know one of the guys killed. This is what happened.

A guy named (name deleted) had just raced a Nova and won and came back to the starting area. He already had another race lined up. That race started and as the two cars began passing the crowd lined up along the sides of the road, the people inevitably wander into the road to get a better view of the finish of the race. As they did, a car that wasn't participating in the race nor in the group of cars pulled to the side to watch the race, came flying down the road with NO LIGHTS ON and plowed into the crowd of spectators. The car, a Ford Crown Vic, sent bodies flying into the air and all along the road. The car slid down the shoulder and almost into a parking area filled with more cars. The Crown Vic was tore up and actually had spectators body parts inside of it when it came to a stop. The road was littered with shoes, clothes and body parts. Many od the spectators were injured and limped into their cars to get away from the scene before the cops showed up. As they drove away, they had to do an obstacle course around the bodies. Some stopped in a 7-11 down the street and were discussing it when another car came in and said a tractor trailer had come through and run over the bodies and hit another person.

My firends said it was unreal. They said it sounded like two cars collided when the car hit the people. As it turns out, I know one of the guys killed, knew of one of the other guys killed and may know more when thry finally release the names. It is now up to 8 people killed with many more injured. All of the injured people aren't being reported on TV because they left the scene and may have gone to other hospitals to avoid getting into legal trouble for being at the scene. There is also at least one video of it.

As far as the family gathering part, street racing in the Washington DC/Baltimore area has always had a big following. I know of fathers who flagged their own sons street races and sons who flagged their own fathers races. Lots of people around here have passed on the tradition of street racing, good or bad.

Originally Posted by 71 Ventura II
BUT why would people wonder out into the middle of a major highway? JD"

"Well, there were over 100 people (some say 200) that were watching the street race. If you stand at the start line and the cars leave, people tend to wander out in the street to get a better vantage point to see who wins the race. If the people watching the race are lined up down the road (like they usually are), once one person leans out to look around somebody the person behind him leans out and then the next steps out and so on. It's like being at a football game or whatever and the guy in front of you stands up.....You have to stand up to get a better view. Then the guy behind you stands up.

The road where this happened is a pretty rural road and isn't heavily travelled except during rush hour. At 2-3 in the morning it's pretty well empty. That road has been used since the 60's for racing. I used to be there almost every weekend during the 80's-early 90's. That particular racing spot showcased the "faster" cars, not the fart pipe imports. I have watched dragsters come out of a trailer and make a pass against Pro Stock type cars for big money....over $10K. (this particular race this weekend was for $2500)They never had an issue making a pass, even without lights on those cars. That's why I am curious about the Crown Vic and him not being able to see.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:36 AM

So, it's nothing to do with "street racing". It has to do with a moron in a Crown Vic who should be charged with manslaughter, or something like it. I am no longer an advocate of street racing, but I'd be lying if I said I never did it so to completely condemn it would be hypocritical and this has little to do with it anyway.

Rich

Quick Reply: Don't Street Race (8 killed)!