Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

This is a different PG, th350, th400 vs m6 question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 PM

This is a different PG, th350, th400 vs m6 question

I know that m6 requires actually slicks usually to get good 60ft times when automatics can get away with drag radials, so the m6 can lose some mph doing the drag run. But I figured you also don't lose the same amount of horsepower through an m6 compared to the auto's. So figured it was even.

Anyhow to my questions. Are auto's really faster or they just consistently fast, where as the m6 you can get it just as fast(if good at driving) just typically not consistently? or am I wrong?

The reason I ask is because I'm not bracket racing or anything like that. So if I can get my m6 just as fast, even if its not consistently, I'm not going to change to an auto right now.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:14 PM

All I know is a good friend of mine goes 9.0's at 155mph with his 6 speed. I think it would go 8.70's with an auto.

Looks like a 6 speed needs a lot of refining to get it to work really good. An auto is really just stab and steer. A 3 speed is more forgiving than a 2 speed(powerglide) if you get a converter that is a little too tight on the stall speed.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:12 AM

Like Autoroc said. A driver that can drive the snort out of an M6 car still can only get within a few tenths of an auto in the same car.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:32 PM

Manuals are fun, but autos are the transmissions of choice for 98% of the people looking for the fastest and most consistent set-ups. There are a few gifted people when it comes to manuals but it's still brutal or even more so on driveline parts.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:34 AM

If you like shifting, stick with your M6. It's as simple as that for someone in your situation, IMHO. As far as your questions, there are not any clear cut answers but in general a three or four speed auto with the right converter is going to be quicker (lower ET) and nearly as fast (trap speed) as an M6. The power lost through the converter is more than compensated for by the quicker shifts of the auto and the converter allowing the engine to stay in the fat part of the power band. A T56 is just not made for drag racing. The ratios are wrong and it cannot be shifted quickly (unless it's heavily modified).

OTOH, the absolutely quickest and fastest drag racing tranny are "manuals" like the G-Force and Lenco which can be shifted w/o the clutch. Also, the title of your post mentions the Powerglide. Don't even think about a 'glide in a car as heavy as a 4th gen unless the motor somehow produces 1000+ft.-lbs of torque. The first gear ratio (typically 1.76:1) just doesn't produce enough torque multiplcation for a hard launch.

Rich
Old 09-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Administrator

There are extremely few manual drivers who can keep pace or exceed the performance of an automatic with all other things being equal. However... These people do exist in real life and you never know when you may encounter one of them.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:24 AM
rje

Originally Posted by rskrause
If you like shifting, stick with your M6. It's as simple as that for someone in your situation, IMHO. As far as your questions, there are not any clear cut answers but in general a three or four speed auto with the right converter is going to be quicker (lower ET) and nearly as fast (trap speed) as an M6. The power lost through the converter is more than compensated for by the quicker shifts of the auto and the converter allowing the engine to stay in the fat part of the power band. A T56 is just not made for drag racing. The ratios are wrong and it cannot be shifted quickly (unless it's heavily modified).

OTOH, the absolutely quickest and fastest drag racing tranny are "manuals" like the G-Force and Lenco which can be shifted w/o the clutch. Also, the title of your post mentions the Powerglide. Don't even think about a 'glide in a car as heavy as a 4th gen unless the motor somehow produces 1000+ft.-lbs of torque. The first gear ratio (typically 1.76:1) just doesn't produce enough torque multiplcation for a hard launch.

Rich
I beg to differ with the statement about the PG. My cars raceweight is 3300lbs and has the same 60ft as my old TH350, (1.39-1.45), and actually ran faster with PG and it has a 1.76 1st gear and only make around 600hp.

Randy
Old 09-16-2009, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by rje
I beg to differ with the statement about the PG. My cars raceweight is 3300lbs and has the same 60ft as my old TH350, (1.39-1.45), and actually ran faster with PG and it has a 1.76 1st gear and only make around 600hp.

Randy
Same or different converter?

Rich
Old 09-16-2009, 11:12 AM

Rich
you could get a 63 impala (3400 lbs) with a powerglide and a 283 producing a whopping 140HP.

If they can survive w/ a PG, an fbody can as well.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:50 PM
rje

Same or different converter?

Rich
Granted it's a different converter, and not to say I wouldn't have picked up with the TH350 had I had this new converter, but the point is that the PG is a option and won't kill 60ft with the proper converter even with a 1.76 1st gear. Another benefit to the PG, for me anyway, was that it made the car a whole lot calmer off the line, even though the 60's are the same. The car leaves about knee high now vs chest high with the TH350.

Randy
Old 09-16-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by reamo04
you could get a 63 impala (3400 lbs) with a powerglide and a 283 producing a whopping 140HP.

If they can survive w/ a PG, an fbody can as well.
I had a Chevelle with a 454 and a PG and it was a dog until I installed 4.56:1 gears. Even then, it wouldn't launch hard. Of course, converters weren't what they are now but still...

I wouldn't put a 'glide in anything as heavy as a 4th gen unless it was blown or had a healthy nitrous shot, but that is just one mans opinion. Also, it is not what the OP has, which was really my point.

Rich
Old 09-20-2009, 12:59 PM

I have seen many of the fourth gens go on the rear bumper and tear stuff up on the landing. I can leave with 350hp of spray with my powerglide and not have that type of problem.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:34 PM

My glide has a 1.76 first gear. I use a 6000 stall converter and 4.86 gears to a 32" tall tire. My engine produces enough torque to get a low 1.3x 60' time and I carry the front wheels for at least 20'. The torque to the wheels according to the Moser axle calculator only requires 31 spline axles which is a lot less torque to the wheels as many 3+ speed cars producing less engine torque.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 AM

The other benefit to a PG is that it eats up less horsepower in high gear.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by racer12306
The other benefit to a PG is that it eats up less horsepower in high gear.
How do you figure that?

Rich

Quick Reply: This is a different PG, th350, th400 vs m6 question