Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

On the bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 08:50 AM

On the bumper

I am just about ready to give up on stock suspension. Car is a PITA!

http://cz28.net/gallery/v/LTLHOMER/vince.wmv.html

Vince
Old 09-28-2005, 12:41 PM

Re: On the bumper

Car ok?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:50 PM

I second the cameraman's comment "Holy sh**"

Hope everything is still in 1 piece. Why no bars for that thing?
Old 09-28-2005, 03:31 PM

Someone posted that vid. in the LT1/LT4 Engine Tech. forum a couple of days ago. The cameraman definitely did sum it up well. Hope the car will be okay.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:04 AM

Damage wasn't to bad. Bent the K member and broke the rack. Killed the oil pan and hurt one header a bit but not beyond repair.

In the class I run Wheelie bars and slicks aren't allowed.

I am getting tired of this crappy torque arm deal. The ford stock suspension works much better without the bars and without a really sticky tire. I might sell this roller to somebody who wants to race in a less powerful class like super stock or stock eliminator.

Vince
Old 09-29-2005, 12:41 PM

I couldn't watch the video (problem on my end) but, I can only imagine there was some wheelstand involved.

All in all if you're going 9.0 on the stock suspension, thats pretty good. It shows the capability of the stock rear suspension.

I'd look at front and rear suspension spring rates and shock settings, maybe limit front end travel. Otherwise look at geometry changes with the torque arm.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:38 AM

Your correct on the geometry changes idea but I really don't feel like pionerring anything more. I am thinking ladder bar. Thanks for the ideas. I have already done the spring rate shock adjustment to death and the limiters are on tight as they can go.

Vince
Old 10-03-2005, 08:22 AM

I saw the video lotsa lift. Yikes!

I figured you have done quite a bit already and tackled the obvious. Great car!

Seems like a modified version of a pinion snubber would eliminate some of the weight transfer. Maybe let the front of the torque arm float.

A shortened troque arm mounted up to the reinforced floor area where the stock "drive shaft loop" is mounted. Or again leave the torque are long and let the front end float.

Some guys have installed traction bars. It seems like if you could slam the rear end down you could eliminate enough of the font end lift. Redirect the lifting force. Or use ladder bars.

Sounds odd but you could start moving weight to the front of the car or just add weight!

Like you said any of this could take months to work out, but so will setting up a new car. Fords are excellent cars by the way you are going to love 'em.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Keep the front end from coming up with front suspension limiters, and double adjustable shocks...... 8.60@160, and this is as far off the ground as it ever got..... Totally "stock style" suspension, including mostly Spohn components, Afco double adjustables and coils in the front/QA1's and my stock Formula springs in the back, Wolfe sway bar. No wheelie bars.

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun...B/IMG_0710.jpg
Old 10-03-2005, 05:31 PM

Pulled from another forum. Check out the f-body that pulls 3 wheels off the ground and pops the rear hatch. No video, just pics.

http://www.davemilcarek.com/091005a/index_3.htm
http://www.davemilcarek.com/091005a/index_4.htm
Old 10-05-2005, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Keep the front end from coming up with front suspension limiters, and double adjustable shocks...... 8.60@160, and this is as far off the ground as it ever got..... Totally "stock style" suspension, including mostly Spohn components, Afco double adjustables and coils in the front/QA1's and my stock Formula springs in the back, Wolfe sway bar. No wheelie bars.

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun...0710.jpg<br />
Already have the front end tied and the extension on the double abjustable strange shocks are on full stiff. Remeber a NOS car has to leave much harder then a forced induction car. Thanks for the help.

Vince
Old 10-05-2005, 12:45 PM

You may have already done this, or someone may have mentioned it, but what is your pinion angle? That maybe something to change depending on where you have it set.
Also if you've tied everything down and are still getting to much lift you may need to add some weight to the front lower portion of the car. 50lbs can make a big difference and not slow you up a significant amount.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:43 AM

Thanks for all the help guys/gals. The pinion angle is fine 1.5 degrees. The problem is the geometry of the torque arm itself. This didn't become a problem until we tried to run in the mid to bottom 8's. Like everything you never stop learning and no solution is a cure for all problems. The fix to make the car go faster probably would have slowed it down back when I had less power. Take care

Vince
Old 11-01-2005, 11:40 AM

Vince email me the video if you have a chance jason@jandjspeedshop.com

Also when you coming to hang out with the Buffalo boys. We have been doing Tuesday night meetings at Buffalo Wild Wings, and also some Friday nights. Let me know if you wanna come down for a fun filled weekend
Old 11-02-2005, 10:21 AM

Can't get the video to work.

Quick Reply: On the bumper