Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Bolt-On LT1 guys... who's shooting for the record???

Old 03-15-2005, 07:51 AM

Re: Bolt-On LT1 guys... who's shooting for the record???

You cant run the proted intake for bolt-on record
Old 03-15-2005, 10:16 AM

LS1's can change their intake for the bolt-on records....

I sure hope we can I was planning on that being one of my mods for the bolt-on record....

Not like I will get their any time soon.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:34 PM

Hey roadtrip, are you gonna be at the track this Sunday (march 20th)? Id really like to see that thing run. Also was it very hard to do your gear swap? Im thinkin my 78 TA needs some gears but I don't know anyone thats ever done it.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by darkangel95
LS1's can change their intake for the bolt-on records....

I sure hope we can I was planning on that being one of my mods for the bolt-on record...
Ls1's get hp from an intake change, Lt's dont. Unless you sheel out the 1400-2000 for and LTx intake or sheet metal. The ruling is nothing oil based Except the rockers for the bolt-on record.

Originally Posted by cc89formula
Hey roadtrip, are you gonna be at the track this Sunday (march 20th)? Id really like to see that thing run. Also was it very hard to do your gear swap? Im thinkin my 78 TA needs some gears but I don't know anyone thats ever done it.
Ya I'll be there if the snow clears up. I put the gears in my self but i am missing a few tools to install any others. Its not to bad just time consuming.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:04 PM

Sweet ill be there too, in the black 89 formula and ill be with the Top of Texas Trans Am group if you get a chance id like to talk to you and check out your car.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:50 PM

I agree...intake work should be alowed. But thats all I'm saying..hehehehe
Old 03-15-2005, 10:44 PM

Sar2k

how much Hp were you pushing when you set the record??

Race Weight??

How about a ruling on the Intake question, Are we, or arn't we allowed to have ported/aftermarket intakes????

I understood nothing oil based, except rockers, but the LS1 have them( I know the LS1's are not oil based). But i figured if you had one then the rest of us could run them if we chose. Just asking to clairify
Old 03-16-2005, 06:32 AM

I don't see how an aftermarket intake would not be a 'bolt-on'. You aren't removing stock engine parts, and it doesn't require any machine work to the block, I fail to see how its any different than adding headers. Take off the old, bolt on the new. I don't see whats so hard about it.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by TQdrivenws6
I don't see how an aftermarket intake would not be a 'bolt-on'. You aren't removing stock engine parts, and it doesn't require any machine work to the block, I fail to see how its any different than adding headers. Take off the old, bolt on the new. I don't see whats so hard about it.
the problem with that is, take out the old cam, put in the new, take off the old heads put on the new, they dont require any modifications either, in that case you will need ALOT more than an 11.9 to beat the "bolt on" record
Old 03-16-2005, 11:15 AM

I suppose, but I see an intake manifold as an intake manifold. If you have to drain the oil or coolant to do a job I think thats going past a bolt on.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by TQdrivenws6
If you have to drain the oil or coolant to do a job I think thats going past a bolt on.
Luckily the LTx intake is dry so you can pull it without the coolant problem and if I seal up an intake i usually dont do an oil change.....
I have not thought about the intake as an upgradeable part with the stock cam.....
Old 03-16-2005, 11:40 AM

first..there are no intakes out there for the lt1. I would think converting to a SBC intake would kinda put the car in another class besides bolt on and the LTx from steve Q would get you nada on a stock motor. You really have to get up in the rpms to take advantage of his great design. But I think that if you wanted to do something to your stock intake and bolt it back on it should be allowed. Thats really kinda like free mods if you do something yourself. The ls1s are putting on the ls6 intake but we dont' have that kind of option since the lt4 doen't really work on a stock lt1 head.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 95Bird
first..there are no intakes out there for the lt1. I would think converting to a SBC intake would kinda put the car in another class besides bolt on and the LTx from steve Q would get you nada on a stock motor. You really have to get up in the rpms to take advantage of his great design. But I think that if you wanted to do something to your stock intake and bolt it back on it should be allowed. Thats really kinda like free mods if you do something yourself. The ls1s are putting on the ls6 intake but we dont' have that kind of option since the lt4 doen't really work on a stock lt1 head.
Exactly what I was thinking, I wasn't talking about putting on an SBC intake, but what would be wrong with working over the stock intake. If the issue is about oil touching it then oil is all over the rockers and from what I understand the LS1 guys aren't allowed to touch the rockers. Hell alot of guys at least gasket match their intakes when they fix the intake mainifold leaks. Since we have no cost effective intake replacements I think that it shouldn't be a problem. If I decide to go for the record and I have a ported intake would that make me the bolt-on + ported intake record holder....

I think in the end it is our choice anyway, it is not like their is a committy to decide the rules for what is considered bolt-on. Maybe we should do a poll.

Last edited by darkangel95; 03-16-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:29 AM

I've been following this thread with a little interest. Not that I'm going for "the record" or anything, just out of interest.

Anyway, perhaps "bolt-on" could be further clarified as exactly what it says: Bolt-ON. Someone mentioned a cam. That is a bolt-IN part. Pistons, rods and cranks are bolt-in parts. You can further clarify a non bolt-on part if it's something where you have to drain the oil and/or coolant and disassemble major components of the engine to install them and they sometimes (but not always) require machine work to work right. Heads would obviously fall under the catagory of non bolt-on.

However, if you classify something as not being a bolt-on because you have to drain coolant and/or oil, then technically you are going to have to exclude throttle bodies because in original form they have coolant running through them. And I think rockers are a gray area: They are wetted parts
Old 03-19-2005, 12:50 AM

Here is a bench race for everyone

I just beat a consistant cammed LT, 12.5 at 110mph , by two cars

From a 30 roll, he was close to track form. I was on 17x11 Zr1's, i have 15x3.5 pro stars and 245 nitto's for the track. He even has the same 1.86 60ft as me. Sounds like i need to take my little LT to a nice/ lower altitude track

MAd props Silver bullet, your car runs good

B-Rad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bolt-On LT1 guys... who's shooting for the record???