Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Big HP guys running slicks, I need your advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
At one time I was using ET Streets on salad shooters with 16" high performance radials on the front and had no stability issues. The last combo, before retiring the car from the strip, was a 15" slick on the rear and high performance 17" radials on the front. No stability problems with that combo either.

Rich
You never felt any sway? Even in the 100+mph range?

What kind of pressure were you running? Did you have full suspension? Cage?

I'm not doubting you, my experience has just been different. My car was virtually stock suspended with the addition of ET streets. It swayed as soon as I put them on. I can think of at least 4 other racing friends that mentioned exactly the same thing.

Some of the sway could have just been newbies to the feel of a bias ply tire. But from my experience (all be it far less than many of the posters in this thread) slicks and radials together = sway.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Banned

You guys just aren't used to bias ply tires......
Old 07-05-2007, 07:28 PM

Rich is one of the most experienced guys on this board. I trust what he says over most.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by CALL911
Rich is one of the most experienced guys on this board. I trust what he says over most.
I wonder how much HP Rich was running with his 26" ETs (and had no problems), in compairson to your current setup?

WD
Old 07-05-2007, 09:36 PM

I believe he may be running more power than me.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:12 AM

convert to an auto
Old 07-06-2007, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by tireburnin

I ran the ET streets with street radials out front for a couple of years with no sway at all. But as I said in a previous post I put the air in the front to the manufacturers maximum to make them as stiff as possible and to make them run on just the center tread. But I never ever ran less than 16 psi hot in the ET streets as per Mickey Thompsons recommended minimum.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by The Engineer
I don't think your solution has anything to do with the front/rear tire combination. You're simply breaking-loose those small 26" ET Streets with the HP your car has. And you'll probably always be in the "danger zone" to some degree running those small 26" ETs at the track. And, you’ve pointed-out that is your wheel/slick preference and don’t plan to change.

For example; when I had a 12.40 car (cam and bolt-on's), I also ran 16" rims and the 26" ET Streets. Sometimes when I shifted to 2nd the ETs would break loose and the car would get a little scary.

However, now with a low 11 second car and the correct wheels and slicks, the car never gets loose.

WD

Exactly. I'm currently running 275-60x15 Hoosier drag radials and have zero traction problems.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6
I ran the ET streets with street radials out front for a couple of years with no sway at all. But as I said in a previous post I put the air in the front to the manufacturers maximum to make them as stiff as possible and to make them run on just the center tread. But I never ever ran less than 16 psi hot in the ET streets as per Mickey Thompsons recommended minimum.
Were you running your ET Streets (possibly 26") on 16" rims w/ low-profile side-walls?

WD
Old 07-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Retired

The 26" ET Streets are going to have a harder time holding that power than the ET Drags... why not get a pair of those? You can't drive either of them in the rain, so neither are really "street tires" in my opinion.

Also, the increased sway up top is due to you not running skinnies up front (actually it's due to you running such a wide tire up front).

If your car isn't setup properly for drag racing, don't expect it to drag race well.

Mike
Old 07-06-2007, 10:25 AM

There's a right way and a wrong way to go about this. Guess which one you have.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:39 AM
rje

If your not willing to change why did you ask the question?

Randy
Old 07-06-2007, 11:09 AM

lol you guys crack me up. Can't a guy ask how to do the best with his setup and get answers that don't include "change your setup"? Like I said, the car is used more on the street, and I just wanted to see if there was something I should know about running with what I have, or maybe utilizing what I have better thats all.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by tireburnin

I'm not doubting you, my experience has just been different. My car was virtually stock suspended with the addition of ET streets. It swayed as soon as I put them on. I can think of at least 4 other racing friends that mentioned exactly the same thing.

Some of the sway could have just been newbies to the feel of a bias ply tire. But from my experience (all be it far less than many of the posters in this thread) slicks and radials together = sway.

I can't say it was stable as a rock. But nothing alarming. The car has 1LE springs/shock/and swaybars along with a Spohn torque arm and tubular LCA's. I was running over 140mph and like I said, as long as you stayed straight, no problem. If the car got out of the groove, it was best just to shut it down. Of course, that is pretty much true with any car running that quick.

Rich
Old 07-06-2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by CALL911
lol you guys crack me up. Can't a guy ask how to do the best with his setup and get answers that don't include "change your setup"? Like I said, the car is used more on the street, and I just wanted to see if there was something I should know about running with what I have, or maybe utilizing what I have better thats all.
You also crack me up! Apparently you’re looking for the answer you “want to hear” (that those small 26” ET will work just fine) while rejecting the answers you really “need to hear” (bigger slicks to handle your HP and not break loose). And, you only use the slicks at the track, therefore it doesn't change your street package.

For example; when Rich implied the 26” ETs should work without any problem, you immediately cited Rich’s credibility on the matter, whereas about twenty other people told you they were too small for your HP and you discounted those inputs.

I sure hope someone on the forum will be able to provide you with the “magic set-up” to make those 26” ETs work for you without getting your car unstable when you break them loose at the track! Then you'll have the answer you're looking for. Good luck!

WD

Last edited by The Engineer; 07-06-2007 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Big HP guys running slicks, I need your advice...