Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

BFG's? or is time to replace the Nitto's with ET Streets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 07:50 PM

I'm only mad at GM for not making the F-body as light as the earlier mustangs
I am mad at GM for not factory-installing something similar to the 8.8 in Mustangs. I don't hold a grudge against GM for going with the 10 bolt though, at least they gave us more displacement.

As far as the tires, I have given up trying to hook on nittos. But with my 10 bolt I am weary of going to the ET street yet. Figured I wait and see if anyone has any luck with the new MT ET Street Radial that will be coming out soon.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by BlackIce
It took Fords gt 6 years just to catch up to franks 93z? And still not quite enough. I say chevy wins that one.
Gt was never competeing w/ the camaro powerwise, they sold a ton more I wouldnt be worried about it either..Look whos laughing now wheres the 03-04 camaro????? . The cobra was meant to compete w/ the SS & WS6 and the 1996 dohc hands down had more power then the 96 SS or WS6...Then came along the LS1 and the terminator has now taken care of that buy leaps and bounds.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Antz97ZNJ
1996 dohc hands down had more power then the 96 SS or WS6...
No. '96 Cobra motors put down about 255-260 rwhp stock. '96 LT1 6-speeds put down 250-265 rwhp stock and a lot more low end torque than the 4.6.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Antz97ZNJ
Gt was never competeing w/ the camaro powerwise, they sold a ton more I wouldnt be worried about it either..Look whos laughing now wheres the 03-04 camaro????? . The cobra was meant to compete w/ the SS & WS6 and the 1996 dohc hands down had more power then the 96 SS or WS6...Then came along the LS1 and the terminator has now taken care of that buy leaps and bounds.
Like steve y said there were close in horsepower, but horsepower dosent mean everything. The lt1 had more tq than compared gts. They stopped the camaro/trans am because they were getting to powerful and catching up to the corvette and gm didnt want people buying an camaro/trans am than paying more for a corvette. I hope those concept photos of the camaro eventually end up in production because they look real bad *** in show and power. The new 05 mustang isnt much of an improvement over the currents ones either, there not that impressive.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:16 PM

They stopped the camaro/trans am because they were getting to powerful and catching up to the corvette and gm didnt want people buying an camaro/trans am than paying more for a corvette.
That's the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever heard. If that was the case then they would have pulled the plug on the F-body 10 years ago when they stuck the LT1 in both cars and they performed pretty much equally on the straight line.

Can we please lay off this ridiculous "it took so and so car this long to catch up"

Who the **** cares? Do you people actually tell this **** to people that beat you when you're at the track? Sounds like noob **** to me.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Javier97Z28
That's the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever heard. If that was the case then they would have pulled the plug on the F-body 10 years ago when they stuck the LT1 in both cars and they performed pretty much equally on the straight line.

Can we please lay off this ridiculous "it took so and so car this long to catch up"

Who the **** cares? Do you people actually tell this **** to people that beat you when you're at the track? Sounds like noob **** to me.
IF thats the dumbest thing you ever heard you have problems. They didnt perform exactly the same 10 years ago nor look the same nor cost the same. Never got beat at the track or on the road, I know I could be alot of people but havent yet. Do you have bipolar disorder or something. No need to get so angry on a forum.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:24 PM

I won't say that it is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, but I would say it is quite inaccurate.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:28 PM

Thats what I have heard from multiple sources so really im just repeating what I have heard. Whats the real reason then?
Old 01-09-2004, 02:39 PM

Thats what I have heard from multiple sources so really im just repeating what I have heard. Whats the real reason then?
It has been told to me several times over the reason they stopped making F-bodies was $$$ were not there.

It's my understanding that sales were down so much that GM decided to pull the plug simply because it wasn't profitable enough to continue with. They couldn't sell the V6 F-bodies nearly as well as mustangs V6's sold so it became GM's decision to concentrate more on mini-vans, trucks, suv's and of course they still make the Corvette.

I personally blame lack of advertising but that's just me. I for one believe if they had enough of a market to sell lots of F-bodies they would still be in production. But so much of the market today is suv's, trucks, mini-vans and imports. That and the V6 mustangs sell like hot cakes to the female market which IMHO really hurt the F-body in the end.

That's my understanding of it any way. But I could be wrong.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:46 PM

Alot of that seems reasonable to me. I dont think they marketed them very well either. I can only remember one fbody video and thats the one with the trans am eating the other car. I still belive though it getting competitive with the corvette is another reason. Not that i'm saying it is the only reason but thats what I have been told.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:16 PM

IF thats the dumbest thing you ever heard you have problems. They didnt perform exactly the same 10 years ago nor look the same nor cost the same. Never got beat at the track or on the road, I know I could be alot of people but havent yet. Do you have bipolar disorder or something. No need to get so angry on a forum.
Dumbest thing I've ever heard in reference to the reason of the F-body being discontinued.. yes.

Tell me how how in straight line (couldn't be cornering as stock for stock the Vette can outcorner circles around the 4th gen f-body) for the past 10 years the F-body has not been just a few tenths slow than a Vette? And all this due to weight. So yes, for the past 10 years, Vette and F-body performance has been close. Not to mention the F-bodies of the 60's!

BTW, your post is bass ackwards.. what are you talking about??

Never got beat at the track or on the road, I know I could be alot of people but havent yet.
The reason I'm annoyed is the direction this post has taken...
Old 01-10-2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Javier97Z28

If that was the case then they would have pulled the plug on the F-body 10 years ago when they stuck the LT1 in both cars and they performed pretty much equally on the straight line.

Pretty much equally, which you said, is not exactly right. The vettes are faster and is why someone might pick one over an camaro/trans am.

You asked me if I told this **** to people I lost too and I told you I have yet to lose.

THeres plenty of posts I dont like but I usually dont say anything. Not make some ******* remarks because of a post.