Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

bfg drag radials..

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:51 AM

bfg drag radials..

How good or bad are they? I'm needing tires, it seems the bfg's are only 150.00 each compared to the others at 185.00-190.00 each, can i get them to work good with an M6 & bolt-ons? Or should i just get some MTs or Hoosiers? My lauches will be high as possible, i'm running a 9" with 4.11s/spool, BMR TA, custom driveshaft, solid joints.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:25 AM

If you're going to leave them on an drive the street get the MT ET Street radails, they have an actaul tread pattern.
If they are a track only tire then the Hoosier drag radials rock, they are D.O.T. but they have no tread, just a couple of lateral grooves.
''testemonial'' I pull 1.45 to 1.50 sixties every pass and have never spun a launch on any track with them on the car in my sig. auto/4.11s/spool@3340 raceweight
Old 07-28-2008, 06:37 AM

We ran them back when they were the only game in town with pretty good success, granted they aren't as good as the MT's. With a stick it will be a little trickier but they beat the pants of any "normal" radial tire.

We used to street race a car that wore a set of 235/60/15's (smallest 26") with a big block and on the hose I won a ton of cash with that car.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:06 AM

The main tire that i really am looking at are the hoosier DRs because they have an 83 circ. vs. the others at 82, i 'm not going to run these tires back & forth to the track, i'll take them & change them out when i get there, at least thats the plan anyway, i'm just trying to save some change this time, i'm broke after shelling out for the rearend upgrade lol, i was highly pissed when i went to the track & ran slower do to these street tires, so i need to do something, i have heard conflicting stories about the BFGs, but it could be owner error too, my power level isn't that high, its just the M6, i need to leave at or around 5K to get some decent 60ft. times. I know for sure the ET streets will do the trick, but i'll have to heat then up more to get them to hook over a drag radial, but thats where a line-lock will come in handy, plus i'll most likely have to screw the rims & run tubes also, thats why i'm wanting to stay drag radial for these reasons, unless you guys think i'll be fine/better off with ET streets instead.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by tomcowle
We ran them back when they were the only game in town with pretty good success, granted they aren't as good as the MT's. With a stick it will be a little trickier but they beat the pants of any "normal" radial tire.

We used to street race a car that wore a set of 235/60/15's (smallest 26") with a big block and on the hose I won a ton of cash with that car.
So you did this on the BFG's? what kind of tire pressure did you run in them?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:40 AM

16 to 18 lbs of air, 1.54 60-foots when tested on the track with this car.

If your changing them out at track, just get a dedicated drag tire that is the best bet.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Banned

I used bfg dr's for about 6 years 275-60-15

Was pleased with them.

recently tried a set of MT dr's on another car, they simply work great.

I would never use any of them on the street.

If your going to swap them out then go with MT, or a slick but I guess you probly run street class and need a dot tire
Old 07-30-2008, 09:29 PM

Hands down, the #1 DR on the market is the MT ET DR. I run a little bigger tire (325 50's) and cut 1.3's all day long. It's almost like cheating
Old 07-31-2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by AF96Z28
Hands down, the #1 DR on the market is the MT ET DR. I run a little bigger tire (325 50's) and cut 1.3's all day long. It's almost like cheating
Have you run any of the other modern drag radials? Like the Hoosiers?
It may be the most well known, the most popular by word of mouth, but is it really, imperically tested, to be the best? Point me to the test data.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:03 AM

Al, get ahold of MT and ask them. My good friend is a field engineer for them and they test everybodies tires on a regular basis and they have reems of data from these test sessions.

In most cases where Hoosiers are better in back to back testing is when the Hoosier tire has more run-out and more width than the competitors tire. Hoosier tires (10.5 style and some radials) have a hard time meeting the "go or no go" guage, for example earlier in the year Hoosier was selling (actually giving away) a 33x10.5 w tire used in Outlaw 10.5 that had 4" of more rollout than the same MT and it measured 13 at the tread (that tire was outlawed now hoosier is selling something that will pass.

Its hard to get a true comparison between a given size because for whatever reason engineers have a hard time with measuring tires or at least labeling them.

Currently the fastest Outlaw 10.5 car wears MT tires
Currently the fastest ADRL 10.5 car wears MT tires
Currently the fastest ORSCA Outlaw 10.5 car wears MT tires
Currently the fastest ORSCA Limited Street car wears MT tires
Currently the fastest ORSCA Drag radial car wears MT tires
Currently the fastest PSCA drag radial car wears MT tires

The fastest nitrous powered drag radial car wears MT tires
The fastest blower equipped drag radial car wears MT tires
The fastest turbo equipped drag radial car wears MT tires

I don't think its by chance that all those cars run MT tires because the name is more common.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:54 PM

I was really thinking of the Hoosier 255-50-16 DRs over anything else, i've heard they are just as good as the MTs, if not better, i know the QTP Bias are just as good (if not better) then the ET streets, the only real reason i'm leaning towards the Hoosier over the MTs are the height, 26.4" & 83 cir. Hoosier vs. 26.2" & 82 cir. MTs, now if this won't make much of a difference, i may go MTs, but the main problem at hand also is there still on back order in this size, unless someone knows who has them.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:35 PM

don't forget that the larger roll-out or circumference helps traction,
the diffrence in height between those two probably wont have an effect on power
Old 07-31-2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by LJM97Z
I was really thinking of the Hoosier 255-50-16 DRs over anything else, i've heard they are just as good as the MTs, if not better, i know the QTP Bias are just as good (if not better) then the ET streets, the only real reason i'm leaning towards the Hoosier over the MTs are the height, 26.4" & 83 cir. Hoosier vs. 26.2" & 82 cir. MTs, now if this won't make much of a difference, i may go MTs, but the main problem at hand also is there still on back order in this size, unless someone knows who has them.
Call MT directly and ask them who has what, on another board there was a guy bitchin about that his size was out of stock making a big deal out of it and all, then a person who works at Summit responded to him that they had 10 sets in ohio.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:33 AM

If i can't get the MTs tomorrow, i'll go with the Hoosiers.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by tomcowle
Al, get ahold of MT and ask them. My good friend is a field engineer for them and they test everybodies tires on a regular basis and they have reems of data from these test sessions.

In most cases where Hoosiers are better in back to back testing is when the Hoosier tire has more run-out and more width than the competitors tire. Hoosier tires (10.5 style and some radials) have a hard time meeting the "go or no go" guage, for example earlier in the year Hoosier was selling (actually giving away) a 33x10.5 w tire used in Outlaw 10.5 that had 4" of more rollout than the same MT and it measured 13 at the tread (that tire was outlawed now hoosier is selling something that will pass.

Its hard to get a true comparison between a given size because for whatever reason engineers have a hard time with measuring tires or at least labeling them.

Currently the fastest Outlaw 10.5 car wears MT tires
Currently the fastest ADRL 10.5 car wears MT tires
Currently the fastest ORSCA Outlaw 10.5 car wears MT tires
Currently the fastest ORSCA Limited Street car wears MT tires
Currently the fastest ORSCA Drag radial car wears MT tires
Currently the fastest PSCA drag radial car wears MT tires

The fastest nitrous powered drag radial car wears MT tires
The fastest blower equipped drag radial car wears MT tires
The fastest turbo equipped drag radial car wears MT tires

I don't think its by chance that all those cars run MT tires because the name is more common.
Yep I think I'll call MT and ask them what brand tire is the best. That's like saying to call GM and they'll tell you that their cars are the best. Darn you'd think that you work for MT not your friend.
And what does all the above info have to do with what drag radial will work best on a street car at our level of performance?
A lot of those cars wear MTs because they work AND because MT pays big contingancy money if you win on their tires. I would too But their's no contingency money at my races.
I just ran out my Hoosiers and as I said they never once let me down. That's way more than can be said about the QTPs or ET Streets that I've tried in the past. Next up is a set of MT ET Street radials. We will see if they work as well for me as the Hoosiers.

Last edited by AL SS590 M6; 08-01-2008 at 03:07 AM.

Quick Reply: bfg drag radials..