Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

4L60 Settings for Drag racing

Old 06-27-2015, 07:33 AM

4L60 Settings for Drag racing

So, what settings can you recommend work to ensure quarter mile times are consistent and quicker times.
Within tuning there are converter lock up mph, pressure settings etc.
What settings can you recommend for a 4L60 non electronic...
Old 06-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Re: 4L60 Settings for Drag racing

I looked at the 93 Corvette A/T-ECM wiring diagram, and it's no different than the 93 F-Body. It only has 5 wires that connect the ECM to the trans. One is for TC lockup, and the other 4 are connected to switches that tell the ECM what gear the trans is in. Not sure how the ECM would know the line pressure or control it.

The TC lockup programming may use the tables you are seeing. The 93 F-Body factory manual indicates that the following are considered with regard to TC lockup:
-cruise control release switch
-throttle position
-(intake) manifold absolute pressure
-vehicle speed sensor
-engine coolant temp sensor

The manual further indicates that the TV cable controls:
-line pressure
-shift points
-shift feel
-part throttle downshifts
-detent downshifts

I have also seen online descriptions that indicate that the TV cable adjustment is very critical to the life of the trans, leading me to believe you don't want to mess with it.

But I'm no 4L60 expert, so this is just opinion, and an attempt to stimulate discussion.

Best place to post this would be the "Drivetrain" forum. Get's more traffic, and more likely to produce the answers you are looking for. I can move the thread there if you want.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:11 PM

Thanks Fred, I know you are a busy person on this forum, amongst others I am sure. I looked at all the electronic tables and the one that concerned me was the threshold for locking. It was set to 64 mph. It made sense because it was locking at low speeds at WOT. So, after researching I noticed many had it at 99-130MPH, to keep it from locking at WOT at the track.
The one I dont understand is the kick down feature, with regards to mine. 93's are a bit different as we have the TV cable with ASR. I did the adjustment per FSM, and it works great. But, it doesnt always kick down from 4th to 3rd. I need to know how these tables at TCC unlock/lock at TPS5 vs mph. I need a table from someone who has modified them, so I know if changing mine will make a difference to help with kick down. If it it does at all due to it being a non electronic 4L60.
Originally Posted by Injuneer
I looked at the 93 Corvette A/T-ECM wiring diagram, and it's no different than the 93 F-Body. It only has 5 wires that connect the ECM to the trans. One is for TC lockup, and the other 4 are connected to switches that tell the ECM what gear the trans is in. Not sure how the ECM would know the line pressure or control it.

The TC lockup programming may use the tables you are seeing. The 93 F-Body factory manual indicates that the following are considered with regard to TC lockup:
-cruise control release switch
-throttle position
-(intake) manifold absolute pressure
-vehicle speed sensor
-engine coolant temp sensor

The manual further indicates that the TV cable controls:
-line pressure
-shift points
-shift feel
-part throttle downshifts
-detent downshifts

I have also seen online descriptions that indicate that the TV cable adjustment is very critical to the life of the trans, leading me to believe you don't want to mess with it.

But I'm no 4L60 expert, so this is just opinion, and an attempt to stimulate discussion.

Best place to post this would be the "Drivetrain" forum. Get's more traffic, and more likely to produce the answers you are looking for. I can move the thread there if you want.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Since only the Corvette combines ASR with the non-electronic 4L60 (F-Body did not get ASR until 95), you may need to pursue this particular topic on a Corvette forum.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:39 AM

Upshifting and downshift are controlled by governor pressure vs throttle valve pressure, hence why tv cable adjustments are critical not only for line pressure, but shift points as well. The correct way to change that is with governor modifications. If you already have one meant for"high performance" so to speak, then you're likely having throttle valve issues in the valve body itself, and they make a repair kit for that. As far as lockup goes, you can change it to 99mph or put an interrupt switch in the control ckt
Old 06-29-2015, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by blown94
Upshifting and downshift are controlled by governor pressure vs throttle valve pressure, hence why tv cable adjustments are critical not only for line pressure, but shift points as well. The correct way to change that is with governor modifications. If you already have one meant for"high performance" so to speak, then you're likely having throttle valve issues in the valve body itself, and they make a repair kit for that. As far as lockup goes, you can change it to 99mph or put an interrupt switch in the control ckt
Thanks. TV cable is set and pressures are spot on according to FSM. Its a fairly fresh rebuild by ProBuilt automatics.
Maybe I need to change governor weights.
I need to see what throttle valve kits and issues so I cam trouble shoot.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:28 PM

The throttle valves tend to stick when they wear out, especially when cold, but I assume pro built installs a new valve and sleeve into every rebuild. I suspect you have a sticking governor. I would assume they install the correct one for your setup, but it's hard to say without driving the vehicle
Old 07-01-2015, 07:33 PM

By the way, I read your concern was kick down from 4th to 3rd. That's for nothing to do with lockup or its tables. That is strictly a balancing act between gov pressure and tv pressure, as with all shifts. What happens if you give the cable 1 click tighter? It should boost line pressure a tad, and might move your shifts up a little, but what we're after here is a slightly earlier kick down which should improve your 4-3 down shift. Give it a try
Old 07-01-2015, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by blown94
By the way, I read your concern was kick down from 4th to 3rd. That's for nothing to do with lockup or its tables. That is strictly a balancing act between gov pressure and tv pressure, as with all shifts. What happens if you give the cable 1 click tighter? It should boost line pressure a tad, and might move your shifts up a little, but what we're after here is a slightly earlier kick down which should improve your 4-3 down shift. Give it a try
My 4L60 has ASR attached to it on the Vette. Its a little different to adjust and critical. I am not sure I can change the pressure via the TV cable without ruining something. I emailed Dana at Probuilt, hopefully I can get some data back on this too.
Here is a video.