Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

3 bolt ons and Im in the 11s for under $700

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 01:33 AM

I definitely believe it . I've seen a few low 1.7 60's on street tires, so a 1.69 is definitely possible.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:35 AM
Administrator

No offence taken. It is just that I have not come close to seeing that type of 60' performance on street tires.

I will admit however that this week end I did something unusual in the 60 foot area... I found a new way to lose. It is called "running the 1/4 mile with the "e" brake on.

Yup. I turned a 1.69 sixty foot time with the emergency brake on. My opponent passed me by 2/3 track. I thought I threw a plug wire or something.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:03 PM

LOL Hub,

I have done near the same thing.I waited in the staging lanes for nearly one hour a few years back.Got to the lights and stalled it up (not wanting to purge to show I had nitrous) and what do I do?
When I took off I squeezed the purge instead of the go-go button.OMG it was funny,for the first 15 ft I was purging
I was so humiliated I almost just kept going out the exit.

Later
Old 09-23-2002, 04:49 PM

Mikie aint lyin guys...
Nice runs BTW Mike... I'm prollt gonna put eh spray on my ride this winter...
Old 09-23-2002, 05:08 PM

Now that would be a sight to see.

LMAO

Purging while going down the track
I bet that never happens again....
Old 09-23-2002, 07:12 PM

Yeah, Ive got the video , but as we speak it is bieng burned
------------------------------------------------------------------

Z97LT1,
Sweet man,
If you need any help on the install just yell.I know it would be a long drive from Raleigh(3.5 hrs) , but we could do it on a saturday if you wanted.

Later bro,

Mike
Old 09-23-2002, 07:25 PM

Yea, a local guy was knocking 1.8 seconds off his et in a 98 TA A4 w/2.73s on street radials and a 175 dry shot. What pill are you using? You must be spraying close to 200 to get 148 at the rear wheels. Do you have any delay, or are you spraying off the line? Ive heard of 60' times close to yours, but at a track prepped for a national event.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:36 AM

Jack,
Im just using the old fashioned momentary pushbutton and spraying about 5 feet out once the tires get moving.
Im spraying the single sloenoid dry kit that has a number 73 jet in it.

Talk to you later
Mike
Old 09-25-2002, 10:24 AM

Why can't my car do that!?!

I wished I could have been there to see it!!!

Brad
Old 09-25-2002, 01:47 PM

Brad,
We were gonna try Mooresville tomorrow night , but if the rain keeps up then we may try for next thurs...you up for it?

You spray the big shot like me and you will do the same thing

Later
Mike
Old 09-25-2002, 03:38 PM

Damn, where'd I put my flag. Just kidding with you Mikie. I didn't see the run but I have known Mikie for a long time and he doesn't lie about his car or the performance of it. I would say Mikie, don't get used to cutting 1.6s all the time, especially after I flatten your tires when we race.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Mikie
Brad,
We were gonna try Mooresville tomorrow night , but if the rain keeps up then we may try for next thurs...you up for it?

You spray the big shot like me and you will do the same thing

Later
Mike
Yeah sure!!! E-mail me tomorrow sometime and let me know if you are still going.

I spray a big shot like you I won't have a car that runs the next day.

It won't be long!!! It's almost rebuild time!!!

Brad
Old 09-27-2002, 07:23 AM

let's see...an A4 with 2:73's spraying a 150 dry shot after about 5 feet to 60ft a HIGH 1.6 ?

Totally believable! and i've seen people cut even lower 60ft times on regular radials

Track prep and bottle a car with 2:73's almost right outta the hole with a dry shot (which hits alot lighter than if it were a wet shot) i don't see why it's so hard to believe...just cuz the rest of you can't do doesn't mean it can't be done..
Old 09-27-2002, 08:26 AM
red

Originally posted by badass_2000_z28
let's see...an A4 with 2:73's spraying a 150 dry shot after about 5 feet to 60ft a HIGH 1.6 ?

Totally believable! and i've seen people cut even lower 60ft times on regular radials

Track prep and bottle a car with 2:73's almost right outta the hole with a dry shot (which hits alot lighter than if it were a wet shot) i don't see why it's so hard to believe...just cuz the rest of you can't do doesn't mean it can't be done..
I am not saying Mikie is a liar and he has people to back him up but don't try to make it out like we are nuts for doubting a 1.6 on street radials. I have stood on some of the best prepped tracks in the world and know the world of difference between a "national event" prep and the normal Sunday prep. Hell, the difference between the two preps on the same track will make you think you are in bizzaro world. The fact of the matter is most tracks don't have the equipment or won't spend the time/money to prep the track that well for street cars and I can tell you that no street tires ever see a track prepped by the Safety Safari.

Secondly, to accelerate a 3500 lb. car with the low torque multiplication of 2.73's and minimal traction of Goodyear radials to a high 1.6 60' is pushing the envelop well past it limits.

Third, we all know that N2O only works at WOT. We also know to get a street radial to put down any decent 60' times you need to softly roll in to the throttle even on a stock motor. Add the extra 150 HP when you hit WOT, even if it is a "soft" dry shot, does not give much room left to reduce your time.

Bottom line is I would like some info on these cars that have cut even lower 60' times, as well as, the tracks they ran at.

Again, not flaming you Mikie I am just skeptical about these cars since the lowest 60' I have ever seen reported on street tires is a high 1.8.
Old 09-27-2002, 06:29 PM

Red,
No problem bro, I know your not calling me a liar.Im actually glad I posted this now because It has turned into a good thread for others to chime in with thier 60' experiences or witnesses.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to all who have replied, but please lets not throw jabs at each other.We are all F-bod bretheren and should stick together.

If anyone else reads this and has experienced sub 1.8 60's on regular street tires please chime in with your oppinions or comments.

Later
Mike

Quick Reply: 3 bolt ons and Im in the 11s for under $700