Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

1st time to the track, EXTREMELY disappointed!!! ---

Old 05-03-2007, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by godspeed1976
Yeah it is a waist of tread to burnout a street tire. I know people do it, but the tread compound doesnt benifit from heat on normal street tires.
Wasting tread is the least of the problem. Doing a burnout on street tires will actually melt the tread, and you'll end up doing your launch with a slimy layer of melted rubber. It just doesn't work!

I have 3.42s in right now, and have a set of 3.73 in the shed waiting to go in. I had to replace my gears so I figured why not just get 3.73s. 4:10 will definately get you moving, but without running a little higher in the RMP range people tend to start to run out of gear. I dont know the specifics of your car now so I could say for sure, but 3:73s work great with a stock cam, and 6K shifts, and wont have you pulling 3500RPM (<--fictious example number, read as "to high for comfortable cruising speed") on the highway.
It's generally agreed that your gear ratio should put you at the top of 4th gear (but NOT into 5th) as you go through the traps in the quarter mile. 4.10 gears and a 6000 rpm redline will get you to 111mph in 4th gear. If you're planning on going faster than that (and you should be, with a sprayed LE2 stroker), you'll want less gear.

3.73's will get you to 122mph, and 3.42's will carry you to 133.

I don't know how fast you want to go eventually, but I'm thinking that a 125 shot on an LE2 stroker could potentially get you into 3.42 territory.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:40 AM

You got some LCAs, and Relocation brackets huh? Now your in the same boat as me cause we now have incorrent pinion angle. You need an adjustable torque arm to correct your pinion angle to -2 to 0 degrees. Mine is probably +6 now with the Pro Kit I also have installed. Tell you what it never ends....
The statements in red above aren't true. You have been misinformed. Pinion angle is controled by the TA. Changing LCAs, doing relo brackets, even lowering the car has almost no effect on the pinion angle. And if it did it would be more minus, not plus degrees.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:46 AM

Look and see if your rear tires are centered in the wheel well. If they are sitting more toward the rear of the well chances are your pinion angle is off, and needs to be adjusted. 1blk93z is a member here and he just set his not that long ago. He said its pretty easy to do, I would shoot him a PM and ask him about it. His name is Erik.

Again the statement in red is wrong. The position of the wheel in the wheel opening fore and aft is controlled by the length of the LCAs and (if you have them) the way that the relo brackets were installed. It has absolutely nothing to do with the pinion angle.

I'm not trying to pick on you but this info is wrong and others might believe it and spread it around even farther.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
It's generally agreed that your gear ratio should put you at the top of 4th gear (but NOT into 5th) as you go through the traps in the quarter mile. 4.10 gears and a 6000 rpm redline will get you to 111mph in 4th gear. If you're planning on going faster than that (and you should be, with a sprayed LE2 stroker), you'll want less gear.

3.73's will get you to 122mph, and 3.42's will carry you to 133.

I don't know how fast you want to go eventually, but I'm thinking that a 125 shot on an LE2 stroker could potentially get you into 3.42 territory.
Wow you have woke me up a little. I was redlining in 3rd, then JUST shifting into 4th before hitting the line at 95mph the other night. I thought getting the 4.10's would help me pull 4th a little more. I should STOP setting my car up for the way it is NOW and keep the future in mind.

Its hard to say what my RPM is in 6th at 60 because they say the stock TACHS arent dead on....but it looks like it is around 1550 rpm The 3.42's and 3.73's are so close!!! ---

Last edited by AlwaysCode390; 05-05-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:20 PM

Sounded like rocks up front? Sounds like detonation. What octane gas were you using?
Old 05-05-2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Loadre
Sounded like rocks up front? Sounds like detonation. What octane gas were you using?

Did I miss something?
Old 05-05-2007, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Loadre
I took a friend on a ride and he said that is the sound of my car bogging? I was using 93 octane, lol thanks ---
Old 05-06-2007, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6
The statements in red above aren't true. You have been misinformed.
That is awesome to hear. I like that I dont not need to go out and by an adjustabler torque arm to correct this. Do you know of any places online that have more information that I can educate myself further on this?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:45 PM

So is my rpm consistant to 3.42's or 3.73's? Can you link me to a way to check myself....or do you want to know certain rpm's in certain gears, at certain speeds. I am sure its pretty hard for me to pinpoint 60mph in 6th gear from a 3.42 to a 3.73 with our crappy stock tachs, lol THANKS---
Old 05-14-2007, 05:20 PM

Exclamation

I just got the ET Streets in the mail , I plan on going to the track tomorrow night.....so just making sure. Do a SMOKEY BURNOUT or a quick spin on them? Go THROUGH the water , or around it? Thanks .... I am excited!!! ---
Old 05-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

I believe that Mickey Thompson recommends that you do a burnout until the tires get sticky enough to pull down the engine RPMs. You'll be able to hear it.

That might have been just for slicks... I'm not sure.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:09 PM

Smokey burnout. Now you're running a softer compound tire that likes to have some heat in it. I'm not sure but for the first burnout it should be bigger than normal. 4 or 5 seconds i believe. After that when you see smoke count to 2 then roll out with it.

Here's how I do a burnout, roll into the waterbox, Don't go all the way through yet, you want to pick up water. When the guy gives you the ok do a quick spin to get water on the tires and pull forward just out of the box. When you get the go ahead burn em off. When you see smoke in the rearview count off 2 seconds and then roll out. Don't just let off the gas and keep holding the brake. Let off the brake and ease out of the gas, just don't do a funnycar burnout past the line. They frown on that!

Or you can do what jake said, which is pretty much the same. That's about when my car starts to bog.

When you get back to the pit after your run stick you fingernail into the tire, you will really notice a difference as to how soft drag radials are compared to street tires.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by fasteddie94
Smokey burnout. Now you're running a softer compound tire that likes to have some heat in it. I'm not sure but for the first burnout it should be bigger than normal. 4 or 5 seconds i believe. After that when you see smoke count to 2 then roll out with it.

Here's how I do a burnout, roll into the waterbox, Don't go all the way through yet, you want to pick up water. When the guy gives you the ok do a quick spin to get water on the tires and pull forward just out of the box. When you get the go ahead burn em off. When you see smoke in the rearview count off 2 seconds and then roll out. Don't just let off the gas and keep holding the brake. Let off the brake and ease out of the gas, just don't do a funnycar burnout past the line. They frown on that!

Or you can do what jake said, which is pretty much the same. That's about when my car starts to bog.

When you get back to the pit after your run stick you fingernail into the tire, you will really notice a difference as to how soft drag radials are compared to street tires.
sweet post....
Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 PM

cam it, gears it, rear end it, nuff said kidding, but just get 2.0ish 60s and youll be fine
Old 05-15-2007, 07:18 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fasteddie94
Don't just let off the gas and keep holding the brake. Let off the brake and ease out of the gas, just don't do a funnycar burnout past the line. They frown on that!
Now THAT was some good advice. I literally dreamed about that lastnight....I wasnt quite sure how to "end" the burnout without stressing the drivetrain too much.

I am on my way to install the Line Lock RIGHT NOW, woo hoo this is going to be FUN ---

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st time to the track, EXTREMELY disappointed!!! ---