Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

03 Cobra vs. 99 Z28 Supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by scott9050
Why GM didn't put forged internals into such a powerful engine I will never know.
It's probably along the same lines as what you said about Ford and how they built the Mustang. They didn't put the "best" of everything on the car from the factory, so the door is still open for owners to come back and upgrade the parts to higher performance, stronger parts. I know that GM is far from being "perfect", and it's probably just a pi$$ing contest to try and determine who is better between GM and Ford. Each of them have their own marketing strategies and what not. I actually wish GM would have had the sense to market and advertise the F-bodies the way that Ford advertises the Mustang. Why did they suddenly end a (healthy) 35 year rivalry?

At the end of the day though, I still like going to the track with my relatively stock car, and blowing the doors off the average Mustang that shows up, whether it's an old 5.0L, or a newer GT! And EVEN a new Cobra would need a good driver, cause otherwise the run can still be close...........I've seen cars capable of 12's only run in the 13's before.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:31 PM

Would you like cheese with that whine? Ford could have gone with the 5.4 from the Cobra R and stomped the **** stock vs. stock out of the LS-1 with no blower and less displacement. Cobra R produces the same HP with no blower and ran 112-113 stock in the R, so your argument holds no water. They weren't going for the LS-1 in the first place, why set your sights on a dead car? It is stock. This has to be one of the most retarded arguments I have ever heard on this board, and it is funny as usual to see LS-1 owners whine and cry like little rice boys "whaaa, they had to put a blower to beat my LS-1, whaaaaaaaaa

Get over it already.
IMHO--ALL THINGS CONSIDERED--the '03 Cobra in stock form as a 1/4 mile drag car is a pig. Did you see what I just said? A P-I-G.

In stock form, this car was supposed to be the answer the Ford guys had been waiting for. I'll say it again--the car is a P-I-G. I hear all the talk about how quick the car is and all the one's I've SEEN run anywhere from high 12's to high 13's. I've driven one and raced against one at the Muscle Car Shootout at Brainerd MN. They are not---I repeat---not what everyone from the Ford camp WANTS the car to be for the following reasons (just to name a few):
1. Weight
2. VERY hard to launch--wheelhop
3. Shifter awkward
4. Air induction system VERY restrictive
5. Exhaust VERY restrictive

Whenever a conversation starts about this car, guys from the Ford camp (especially ones that don't own an '03) talk about Evan Smith's 12.43 run at Englishtown. Let's see...a blown 32valve w/forged internals running a 12.43 at Englishtown in cool air where DA is sometimes BELOW sealevel is impressive????? Bring the same car & driver out here to Minn @ 1200ft with average DA of 1800-2500 ft and the car is a 12.80 car at best. Take Evan Smith out of the equation and you're struggling to get a high 12 out of it. Most are low to mid 13's which is about the same as my STOCK LS1 ran.

Last point...from my experience with driving the '03 and recently slaughtering one at BIR, you obviously don't NEED a blower in order to match up with or beat one.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:01 PM

hahaha.i wouldnt say theyre pigs.but they do need alot more hp to run the same ETs as ls1 but its easier and cheaper to make it with them.

but youre correct in saying as i keep saying that ls1s are not overmatched against these cars.theres plenty of ls1s running with cobras that are NA.once you get into serious HP both cars need extensive alterations to reach their goals.

lets stay away from what ford couldve came out with whatever because then i can say GM couldve came out with a SCed ls1 and stomped ford.whats out is out and live with it.

Z28SSman you have a strong running car with your mods.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:20 PM

FWIW I went to a dyno day today and saw some pretty sweet cars. One was a 2000 cobra w/ bolt-ons and a centrifugal supercharger (I think vortech but I never got to look close). He put down 500 at the wheels!
Edit: He said he was running 14lbs of boost and it was on the stock bottom-end.

Then, a few newer gt's (99+) all strugled to even break the 200 mark (this is a mustang dyno by the way).

The showstopper was the completely handbuilt by a bunch of fbody guys 94 (or 96 not like it matters) twin turbo 355 camaro. He had a forged bottom-end with afr 220's (ported by TEA) and all the other little goodies. These guys did everything themselves including MAKING all the exhaust components (manifolds, downpipes, etc) as well as all the intake pieces as well. Again, 100% built by people who don't do this thing for a living. On only 11 pounds of boost on pump gas (they haven't turned up the wick to their goal of 18 pounds on a racegas mix and tune) it put down 600 at the wheels! They expect close to 800 once they turn up the boost and load the racegas tune. It is still on the stock computer btw. The numbers were on an m6 car through a 9-inch rear, sae corrected from a MUSTANG dyno. Pretty crazy! Can't wait til the guys turn up the boost and take that car to the track. The kicker is the car looks bone stock from the outside. Open the hood and .

600rwhp on pump gas and low boost
Old 10-13-2003, 03:32 PM

Why GM didn't put forged internals into such a powerful engine I will never know. [/B]

GM didn't put forged internals in the LS1 for a few simple reasons. Low revving 0-6500rpm N/A V8 engines do NOT need forged internals running under 500hp. When you mass produce an engine with forged and the same engine with non forged parts there is going to be a HUGE cost difference. If anyone thinks they need forged internals for 350hp N/A they need to get off the crack. Not trying to flame you or anything. I think the s/c motor ford makes is awesome. I just felt like stating that.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by ltlhomer

600rwhp on pump gas and low boost

Is that possible? Got a link or anything?
Old 10-13-2003, 04:37 PM

Don't have a link but I saw the car in person and I know the guys who built it personally. Of the other guys who worked on it, one had a stock bottom-end twin-turbo ls1 that put 660rwhp and matching torque before he ripped it apart (Matt Harlan for those of you that know him). It will soon be together I hear and it should be one hell of a beast. I believe he's a moderator at ls1tech or one of the ls1 boards. Joe (stenod) has a 600 rwhp (on racegas mix) twin turbo ss and I think he puts 500+ at the wheels on pumpgas. These guys are very familiar with the turbo cars just by messing around with their own. The guy with the tt lt1 (marcus) still uses stock lt1 intake manifold which is pretty sweet in my book. Honestly, Marcus's car is the sweetest lt1 camaro I have ever seen. Total sleeper and it should go 9's easy once they turn up the boost and throw in some racegas. I'll talk to joe and see if I can get some pics for you guys.