Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

03 Cobra vs. 99 Z28 Supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 09:04 AM

Who really cares if my cup is full of holes i can still drink out of it. I know with money all bets are off. What i dont understand is why does a Mustang guy feel that he has to hang out on a GM car based site just to protect a car he doesnt even own????????? Whos whining. I run with the new Cabro's just fine. Bolt on for Bolt on. So what... who really cares..... i just like stirring $h!t thats the only reason i even registeredand to say whats up to my friend Johhny who started this thread. I really do laugh when i see how this really gets peoples underwear all up in a bunch. Laterz
Old 10-09-2003, 11:13 AM

The new cobras seem to be very nice hp numbers with et's that don't really back up the power. Example, bone stock 03's are supposed to be 340-350 at the wheels (mustang dyno). I have seen at least a dozen run at the track w/ a few bolt-ons and they can't trap over 110. My car put 350 at the wheels and did 112+ w/ a messed up tranny. I should see 115 once I get one in there that works. Also, there was a video floating around of an 03 cobra with 450 rwhp (dynojet) against a bone stock 47x flywheel hp (I think) amg 55. The amg is clearly heavier and must have less hp at the wheels but why does it beat the 03 cobra? The 03's put nice dynos down but I haven't seen many back up those great numbers. That's also a trend I see with any supercharged car. For some reason, a supercharged car putting 500rwhp will always lose to an all motor car putting out 500rwhp. Power under the curve? I have no idea I'm just telling you guys the trends I see after watching many many races. I'd rather build an 03 cobra than ls1 because not having to mess w/ the bottom-end is a huge plus! The 03's bottom end rivals the inline 6 from the supra as far as reliability and ability to hold big power. Can't knock that!
Old 10-09-2003, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by ltlhomer
Power under the curve?
I agree I have noticed that supercharged and twin turbo cars that boast peak HP must have a lower HP curve overall. It might come down to the fact that the peak HP gain is usually at higher RPM than n/a. Anyway, area under the power/RPM curve probably equates pretty well to track performance given that the vehicles get equal traction. At Milan everyone gets equally no traction...

Interesting that Ford had to put a blower on their car to finally beat up on LS1's. If GM has put a blower on the f-body it would have went to a strong bottom end also for duribility. (smiley just for you scott, sorry I took your earlier comments as derogatory towards me when apparently that was not your intention, you just lack tact)

Brian
Old 10-09-2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by NASTY-TA
Who really cares if my cup is full of holes i can still drink out of it. I know with money all bets are off. What i dont understand is why does a Mustang guy feel that he has to hang out on a GM car based site just to protect a car he doesnt even own????????? Whos whining. I run with the new Cabro's just fine. Bolt on for Bolt on. So what... who really cares..... i just like stirring $h!t thats the only reason i even registeredand to say whats up to my friend Johhny who started this thread. I really do laugh when i see how this really gets peoples underwear all up in a bunch. Laterz
And I have to wonder why a newbie with 2 posts who doesn't know jack **** about me is making WRONG assumptions. I have owned 3 f-bodies and I still own 3 GM vehicles. If your best reply is "you shouldn't be here" then it shows how really sad this board has become. No one can make an argument based on facts, all they can do is whine
Old 10-09-2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by ltlhomer
The new cobras seem to be very nice hp numbers with et's that don't really back up the power. Example, bone stock 03's are supposed to be 340-350 at the wheels (mustang dyno). I have seen at least a dozen run at the track w/ a few bolt-ons and they can't trap over 110. My car put 350 at the wheels and did 112+ w/ a messed up tranny. I should see 115 once I get one in there that works. Also, there was a video floating around of an 03 cobra with 450 rwhp (dynojet) against a bone stock 47x flywheel hp (I think) amg 55. The amg is clearly heavier and must have less hp at the wheels but why does it beat the 03 cobra? The 03's put nice dynos down but I haven't seen many back up those great numbers. That's also a trend I see with any supercharged car. For some reason, a supercharged car putting 500rwhp will always lose to an all motor car putting out 500rwhp. Power under the curve? I have no idea I'm just telling you guys the trends I see after watching many many races. I'd rather build an 03 cobra than ls1 because not having to mess w/ the bottom-end is a huge plus! The 03's bottom end rivals the inline 6 from the supra as far as reliability and ability to hold big power. Can't knock that!
The Cobra is very heavy. Best time I have heard of for a bone stock one was with Evan Smith driving, a 12.43 at 113. He took off the sway bar and removed some dead weight and it cracked the high 11's at 116 on DR's, but you have to remember that this guy is an expert driver.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Y2kPewterSS

Interesting that Ford had to put a blower on their car to finally beat up on LS1's. If GM has put a blower on the f-body it would have went to a strong bottom end also for duribility. (smiley just for you scott, sorry I took your earlier comments as derogatory towards me when apparently that was not your intention, you just lack tact)

Brian
I just have a low tollerance for bullsh!t, especially the past few weeks with all that has happened to me. The only one I have had any derogatory feelings for in this thread is MR. 2 post questioning me being here.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:52 PM

Just like i said i only posted this to get a rise out of you...... for ****s and giggles.......... I didnt mean any harm by what i said... I only have 2 posts on here becaus ei never post here...... i just did becaus emy friend that started this post was over at my house. Man its amazing how personel people take these things.......... its only words..... and who really cares.......
Old 10-09-2003, 05:18 PM

I could care less about which one is faster, it's just hilarious seeing the LS-1 guys getting bent out of shape when the '03 Cobra is mentioned and saying " a stang guy shouldn't be here" when they have no comeback.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by scott9050
Again apples vs. oranges. When people replied with the 99-01 Cobras that all you needed was gears to run side by side with an LS-1, people whined and cried that all that mattered was stock versus stock. Funny how the shoe changes foot when the LS-1 is no longer king.
I'll admit, I know very little about Mustangs, and their history. I've held a general assumption that they've been slower than Camaros (on average) ever since Camaros were built (with only a few exceptions, like maybe the old Cobra Jet 429's, or maybe a few years of the 5.0L days when the L98's weren't the best 350 SB that Chevy ever built ).

While I don't think I fall under the "whiny LS1 owner" category, I must admit that I find it *a little* funny that Ford had to resort to a blower just to make more power out of their 4.6L when GM is already pushing over 400 HP with the LS6. Like I said though, I don't know much about Ford's engine inventory, so maybe the 5.4L Cobra-R engine is more powerful already N/A? BUT, I don't think the Cobra-R is mass produced like the Z06 is? (or is it?! ).

Also, I realize that I'm not comparing the Cobra to the LS1 anymore, but I still think that an LS1 with a blower bolted on should be VERY competitive with an '03 Cobra, especially since LS1's are already into the 12's with minimal mods above and beyond simply traction mods!
Old 10-09-2003, 08:52 PM

oh man now you did it.ill check back in a little while to see what respones you got from that remark.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:56 PM

ls1 no longer king?whats a z06?yes,its an ls1 derived motor and yes it beats a cobra.

please dont respond by saying it costs more or its not in its class BS.its GMs fastest production car beating fords fastest production car.game over.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by scott9050
And I have to wonder why a newbie with 2 posts who doesn't know jack **** about me is making WRONG assumptions. I have owned 3 f-bodies and I still own 3 GM vehicles. If your best reply is "you shouldn't be here" then it shows how really sad this board has become. No one can make an argument based on facts, all they can do is whine
its the same thing over at svtperformance.com. some guy actually asked who all wanted to ban all NON FORD driving users. everywhere has a little bias toward their maker. its ok until it starts HUGE flame wars. what people need to understand is that without the mustang's who would us f-body owners have to beat(lol, j/k) and vice versa
Old 10-09-2003, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Capn Pete
).

Like I said though, I don't know much about Ford's engine inventory, so maybe the 5.4L Cobra-R engine is more powerful already N/A? BUT, I don't think the Cobra-R is mass produced like the Z06 is? (or is it?! ).

The argument was that Ford HAD TO put a blower on to compete with the LS-1, which is simply not true. Cobra owners in large numbers put blowers on their cars. Ford just went ahead and put the entire package into one for sale on the showroom floor, some of that being the heat from the tuner cars beating Fords best offerings. The Cobra was deliberately kept down in power to meet with noise requirements. The exaust is very restrictive, the single screw blower is not the best etc. An example of what Ford can do is their 5.0 DOHC crate engine, 415 hp from a stroked 4.6. This is available in their performance catalog. Ford has been known for years to put out an underpowered engine only to rake in the cash selling high performance parts to enthusiasts through their aftermarket operations. For example, soon after the 96 GT came out Ford released the PI heads and intake combo,a combo which should have been on the car from the factory. Now they release revised cams and a diferent intake since the Romeo heads bumped the power up to 260 on the GT. I personaly believe that the Cobra is not meant to beat any GM product, I believe that the intention was to send the current platform out with a bang in it's final year (was supossed to be replaced in 04, pushed back to 05).

[quote]
Also, I realize that I'm not comparing the Cobra to the LS1 anymore, but I still think that an LS1 with a blower bolted on should be VERY competitive with an '03 Cobra, especially since LS1's are already into the 12's with minimal mods above and beyond simply traction mods! [quote]

I agree totally, but you are still going to have issues pushing the boost on the LS-1 eventually. Why GM didn't put forged internals into such a powerful engine I will never know.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by ULTIMTEORANGESS
ls1 no longer king?whats a z06?yes,its an ls1 derived motor and yes it beats a cobra.

please dont respond by saying it costs more or its not in its class BS.its GMs fastest production car beating fords fastest production car.game over.
Uhmmmm, Fords fastest production car is the GT, which by all accounts should rape a Z06. The whole thing is silly, buying speed has never impressed me. Someone who can build a car to be fast has my total respect.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by 95_LT1_Z
its the same thing over at svtperformance.com. some guy actually asked who all wanted to ban all NON FORD driving users. everywhere has a little bias toward their maker. its ok until it starts HUGE flame wars. what people need to understand is that without the mustang's who would us f-body owners have to beat(lol, j/k) and vice versa
SVTPERFORMANCE is a bunch of retards then. Honestly this is one of the reasons that I rarely visit the Mustang sites unless I have a tech question. That and the fact that I want another 3rd gen eventually. It's not practical living in a lake effect snow belt.

Quick Reply: 03 Cobra vs. 99 Z28 Supercharged?