Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Throttle sticking

Old 03-26-2016, 08:59 PM

Throttle sticking

When going through the gear the throttle is sticking on intermittent spots causing a high idle. I have had as high as 8% TP angle while foot is off of the accelerator. When I snap the throttle it will go back to normal.
While looking at the TP angle and voltage it indicated that the throttle is definatley hanging up but not sure on what. With the engine not running it never hangs up at all. I have even pulled it in to the garage while idling high at around 3% TP angle, jumped out, popped the hood and manually pressed the throttle linkage back to slow the idle back to normal. What boggles me is it will only do while driving the vehicle. Makes me wonder if the ASR module is hanging it up.
I have removed the Arizona speed and marine Throttle body and checked for any rough articulation, and even cleaned the blades as a matter of precaution. Not sure what to do here, the vehicle was running fine one day and now it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Worse as in it is getting stuck on a faster idle.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Re: Throttle sticking

Any problems with the blowoff valve? Is it possible the boost is not being rapidly released as the throttle suddenly closes and has damaged the bearings, bent the shaft, or somehow bent the blades?
Old 03-27-2016, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the blades when I cleaned everything and they appeared to be in good working order. It only happens when car is warmed up. During normal driving condtions. If I run through the gears hard I have no issues, only during light to normal acceleration.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:04 AM
Administrator

I guess I interpreted "When going through the gear" as something different than "light to normal acceleration".
Old 03-27-2016, 11:13 AM

When I go through the gears hard I have no issue. Not too long ago I was fighting the issue of the car wouldn't idle, and after a 100mile trip it was fine. Now the darn thing wants to hang up. Thinking about ordering a new throttle body. I was considering the 58mm holley, any suggestions?

Last edited by Z28ELECTRICIAN; 03-27-2016 at 03:15 PM.