Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Tech 2 clones come way down in price

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Tech 2 clones come way down in price

I just bought my 2nd one of these "Tech-2" clones, and so far I can find nothing wrong with it except a dead 12v power pack (which I can replace for $5). The first one, that I bought 2 years ago, is still going strong. That does not mean I trust they will last a long time, but for the money I can't complain. The first one cost over $700 and I knew when I ordered it that it could never be updated and probably could never be professionally repaired . Also I knew I might never get a meaningful refund, even if it was DOA. This newest one cost only $290, including 5-day shipping from China. The only difference in this one is that it does not include a plastic carrying case, not that I like the first case anyway. It is too clumsy and easily breakable.
For those who agree with this rant on ebay: GM TECH 2 Diagnostic tool - A quick word before buying on Ebay | eBay
I have to say that I have not experienced the "junk" of which he complains.
For those who would like to be able to tell the differences between this clone and the Bosch and Vetronix originals, there are some listed in the above linked location. Also, I noticed that the labels sent with this unit have the same serial number that appears in ALL the advertising photos, so take note of this number. And the labels do not fit properly, as shown in the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails Tech 2 clones come way down in price-tech-2-clone-kit.jpg   Tech 2 clones come way down in price-tech-2-clone-sample-screen.jpg   Tech 2 clones come way down in price-tech-2-clone-labels.jpg  
Old 06-26-2014, 10:14 PM

Re: Tech 2 clones come way down in price

Why did you buy a second unit? Just to get an updated one?
Old 06-27-2014, 08:13 AM
Prominent Member

Folks keep asking me to borrow it, sometimes out of town. I did't want to loan out the 1st one unless I could accompany it. Also, I assume I could never get it professionally repaired if it broke, so wanted a backup. It is identical to the first one that covers 1991-2013.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:45 PM

I know an old thread, but where are you getting these for $290? I'll take 2 at that price!
Old 07-22-2015, 11:06 PM
Prominent Member

This guy:
DHL Free Shipping 2015 Best Quality GM TECH2 Full Set Support 6 Softwares(GM,OPEL,SAAB ISUZU,SUZUKI,HOLDEN) GM Tech 2 Scanner-in Code Readers & Scan Tools from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

No case at this price, but I don't really like the case anyway. Apparently it costs a lot more for shipping with the case.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:44 AM

Can you flash programs on modules without having a subscription to GMs service? Maybe not newer things, but fbody cards and such?
Old 07-23-2015, 07:01 AM
Prominent Member

I have done very little with that programming feature. I have updated the PCM once for a 98 Firebird V6 that was not up to the latest rev. But that required the USB dongle that is not provided with this unit and the use of a pc (WinXP with a serial port works). The dongle costs under $20 typically. I don't see any feature to download the data for storage and use that for programming. Perhaps there is an undocumented procedure of which I am not aware. The data for the update was on the DVD.

2014 Lowest Price Top Rated GM Tech2 TIS 2000 Software CD and USB dongle TIS2000 USB KEY for gm tech2 scanner-in Car Diagnostic Cables & Connectors from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Theoretically you could use a Serial port-to-Usb adapter, like for OBD1 scanning, to take the place of the hardware serial port. But, I don't know if the TIS2000 software will run on anything newer than Win XP.

GM Tech 2 USB Adapter Kit No Need for A Serial Port | eBay
Old 07-23-2015, 10:38 AM

Gary, I think you've made my day! I'm sure I can make it work on a windows 8 machine and maybe get me covered there.

Now to solve the bricked PCM in my other thread.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:38 PM

I will add to this by saying I just bought this unit and it works for everything I need it to. It has 2 way communication, all of the special functions, etc.

I have a 94 Z28, 99SS, 2000 Silverado 1500, 07 Z06 and 2010 Yukon. This unit works on all of them with zero issues.

Thanks Gary!
Old 09-05-2015, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Looking at the reviews on that site a buyer complained that it won't read modules on 07-11 Yukons and Sierras. The seller replied that he is aware that it wont work on those vehicles but doesn't say that in the description. Have you run across any other vehicles it doesn't work on?
Old 09-05-2015, 10:31 PM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Looking at the reviews on that site a buyer complained that it won't read modules on 07-11 Yukons and Sierras. The seller replied that he is aware that it wont work on those vehicles but doesn't say that in the description. Have you run across any other vehicles it doesn't work on?
I really haven't tried it on any trucks or truck-like vehicles. Note that the poster before you reported it worked for his 2010 Yukon. It should work for any vehicle that it worked for when it was sold by Vetronix or Bosch. It is the same exact software.
It is also probable that the 07 and newer vehicles require use of the CANDi module (included) and they may not have attached it.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 09-05-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Administrator

But in the post immediately above yours, he indicates it works on a 2010 Yukon????
Old 09-10-2015, 10:30 PM

"works" is very vague. The specific complaint was reading other modules on the 07-11 Yukons and Sierras. Guessing things like not working on BCMs, ABS, etc. While it could work on the ECMs and TCMs. Like I said the seller even admitted that they had that problem. But I guess for the price and it most likely being a clone one shouldn't expect perfection.

Last edited by 2xLS1; 09-10-2015 at 10:32 PM.