Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Dash lights freaking out

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 05:34 PM

Dash lights freaking out

So I'm 'restoring' my 97 SS. the engine, trans, K member are all out. I installed an aftermarket wheel (clockspring is out, resistor placed in the airbag wire), I never went in past the steering wheel lock plate. I reconnected the battery and turned on the ignition so I could confirm that the air bag light goes off. What I actually see is both turn signal lights come on and stay on, the air bag light comes and and keeps flashing, the brake light comes on and stays on (parking brake is not pulled), security light comes and keeps flashing, and the low traction control light does a slow flash and with each flash the antilock module in the engine bay clicks loudly. Ive never touched the wiring under the dash or in the column. The wiring harness is completely factory and in great condition (the car only has 30k miles on it). Turning the key back to accessory works fine, everything come on that should with no lights on dash. Im hoping this is normal behavior with the engine/kmember/brake harness completely unplugged but it doesnt seem right. It seems doubtful anyone would know because who would turn their ignition key on with all this unplugged (again I only did to check the airbag light with new steering wheel)? Anyone know? I hope Im freaking out over nothing.

1997 Camaro SS