Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Scan9495: Free OBD1 scan app for 93/94/95 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:30 PM

re: Scan9495: Free OBD1 scan app for 93/94/95 LT1

I will do my best to check it tomorrow, its a little late now, and a friend has my multimeter i use. Ill try to get it tomorrow and test it. If it comes up bad, ill either be waiting over a month to get anothermplug from china, or ill just pay for a $60-70 that WILL work. Thanks for all your help so far Gary, will get back to you ASAP
Old 06-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

ALDL USB Cable
Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 PM

Does that require being cut and wired together..? It has two separate cables in the picture. If it does, i may just go with the other one on your first post in the thread as it is already put together.

I found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diagnostic-T.../221299356073? Yes, im aware it is 12.99, and one can be had for a few $$$. However it is located in Cali and would be a huge improvement over 1 month Chinese shipping. I plan on asking for more pics to see the ends, just to 100% sure.

Last edited by 16Sammy61; 06-23-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:29 AM
Prominent Member

No, the Red Devil River cable at $55 is ready to use. The extra cable you see in the photo is a common USB cable in order to make it long enough to use. It plugs into the main cable.

That cable you posted would be the same as yours and it has no electronics inside. The electronics is inside the other one with the USB connector. If the cable is defective, that would be the most likely one to be bad.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:00 PM

Well, i got my multimeter. Turns out the RED was the ground. With almost no wire left to wire it, i attempted it. I had just enough and it worked! I want to thank you for all the help. And while i, here, how can i save the file to keep all the info and DTC's? I see some people save it and share on here. Or send in an email. Can you tell me exactly how to do that?
Old 06-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by 16Sammy61
how can i save the file to keep all the info and DTC's? I see some people save it and share on here. Or send in an email. Can you tell me exactly how to do that?
There are 3 ways to do that. The first is to check the Auto Save Scan File checkbox on the engine tab. The file will be created as the scan is run. Since this uses a small amount of time to do and that slows the scan slightly, you may not want to do that. Instead, you can click on the Save Scan to Log File button after the scan is finished. If you fail to do either of those, when you exit the program, you will be asked if you want to save the file or not. The files, in any case, will be saved in the same folder as the app using the current date and time and VIN.
Have you downloaded the User Guide?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:14 PM

it saved it as an excel file in the folder with the app and instructions. i can open it in excel, but i only have the trial version, however it still lets me view all the info. i just cant read it and figure out what wrong with it. i know i can just copy the file to an email right? but idk how to post it on here. yes i have the user guide, just havent read it fully, only part about installing drivers.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Prominent Member

People frequently describe this file type (.csv) as an "Excel file" but that is not really the case. It is a simple text file with the items separated by commas. Any text editor can open and view it (Notepad, Wordpad, Word, etc....). Excel has a built-in feature that automatically opens these type files and places the contents into a spreadsheet. When you install Excel, the pc probably assigned an association of ".csv" to Excel by default. Then when you view these files in Windows Explorer, they are labeled "Excel file".

By the way, you can download a free version of Apache's "OpenOffice" which has a program ("Calc") that is pretty much equivalent to Excel. It also has free versions of programs like "Word" and "Access".
Old 07-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Administrator

If you want someone to look at the file, you either have to e-mail them the complete file (in .csv format), or upload the file to an FTP site like mediafire. Copying and pasting the file into a post here is not going to produce anything very useful. You will generally lose the formatting, and end up with a jumble of numbers that would take someone hours to rearrange into a meaningful table. Then they would have to stumble through thousands of lines of data.

I always open the .csv files with Excel, then save as an Excel file. That allows me to format, arrange the columns in the order I prefer, look at data range max/average/min values, convert from degC to degF, kPa to "Hg, etc.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by bobdec
Gary, latest version and Users Guide looks great... going to send you back that simulator chip, never got to hooking it up.. IMO your app, cable and a PC s/b required tool set for any DIY on these cars..
i have windows8 and downloaded to software. sorry to say it does not work. it says i am communicating with my ecm but it does not show any datastream or anything. does not tell me any trouble codes. does not work period
Old 08-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by LeePrice
i have windows8 and downloaded to software. sorry to say it does not work. it says i am communicating with my ecm but it does not show any datastream or anything. does not tell me any trouble codes. does not work period
Lee..... calm down. This software is proven to work perfectly. I have analyzed dozens of data logs for people, produced by this software. In many cases I have been able to point them to their problems.

I would venture to say you either have a connection problem, comm port problem, or you are not following the instructions. Or your cable has a problem.

GaryDoug put a lot of effort into making this software available at no cost to the many 94/95 owners who have difficulty accessing an OBD-1 scanner that will work with these cars. Gary often comes here to help sort out the problems like you are having. This is all free, volunteer work, solely for the benefit of the 94/95 owners - Gary doesn't even own an LT1 vehicle. He will respond to a PM.

Please exhibit some patience.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Prominent Member

What kind of cable are you using? What is the manufacturer, or did you build your own?

If the cable has lights (some are hidden under translucent casing) see if the lights flash briefly when the cable is plugged into the pc. Leave the cable plugged into the pc and then, when the cable is plugged into the car and the ignition is switched on, see if the red light flashes continuously. If either of the above does not occur, the cable isn't working correctly. It may be defective or the pc driver may be incorrect or not installed.
If the above is ok or if your cable has no lights, check the com port this way: Unplug the cable and start the app. Make note of which com ports are available, if any. Plug the cable into the pc and restart the app. If a new com port does not appear in the list, the cable or driver is not working.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 08-10-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
What kind of cable are you using? What is the manufacturer, or did you build your own?

If the cable has lights (some are hidden under translucent casing) see if the lights flash briefly when the cable is plugged into the pc. Leave the cable plugged into the pc and then, when the cable is plugged into the car and the ignition is switched on, see if the red light flashes continuously. If either of the above does not occur, the cable isn't working correctly. It may be defective or the pc driver may be incorrect or not installed.
If the above is ok or if your cable has no lights, check the com port this way: Unplug the cable and start the app. Make note of which com ports are available, if any. Plug the cable into the pc and restart the app. If a new com port does not appear in the list, the cable or driver is not working.
I bought a 16 pin ALDL to usb cable from OBD Diagnostics. The scan9495 software shows that it is scanning and that I have trouble codes but it will show me what the codes are. I have tried everything. I have done it by the instructions the software came with.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:42 PM

I bought a 16 pin ALDL to usb cable from OBD Diagnostics. The scan9495 software shows that it is scanning and that I have trouble codes but it will show me what the codes are. I have tried everything. I have done it by the instructions the software came with.
I also tried the later that you mentioned.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:35 PM
Prominent Member

What indication do you have that it is scanning? How does it indicate there are trouble codes? Are there any numbers in the engine tab entries, like in the attached diagram (3 arrows pointing right)? What value is shown in the Scan time box (4th arrow)? Please be specific, so I can get this working for you.
Attached Thumbnails Scan9495: Free OBD1 scan app for 93/94/95 LT1-scan9495-engine-tab.png  

Quick Reply: Scan9495: Free OBD1 scan app for 93/94/95 LT1