Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

LS1 PCM on LT1.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:06 PM

What ever happened to this? anyone got to do this in the end?

Thx
Old 07-14-2008, 05:20 AM

i have everything needed but the 411 with vats deleted.. where is the best place to get this?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:14 AM

you can get them on ebay

So what is actually needed here?

Can the ecm be any 411 or does it have to be from the express van...which model, 1500 3500 etc
So a vortec crank wheel and crank position sensor can be used on the crank and the 96/97 front cover?
What wiring harness do you need? Could you just repin the LT1 and add a few wires for the CPS and the knock sensor? Or would you be better of finding an LS2 harness... that's some money from what I've seen.

CPS where is this signal coming from?
could you just weld a plate onto the front of the LT1 front cover and mount a LS2 CPS to it.
Then machine a wheel that bolts onto the stock LT1 cam gear with the rise on it like the LS2 cam gear to trigger the CPS? emachine shop should be able to do this but it would be a bit pricey.

Does anyone know how close the CPS has to be to the wheel to work?

That really seems like everything other than what is going to happen to the other knock sensor?

Why hasn't someone done this?
Am I missing something?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by nov194
you can get them on ebay

So what is actually needed here?

Can the ecm be any 411 or does it have to be from the express van...which model, 1500 3500 etc
So a vortec crank wheel and crank position sensor can be used on the crank and the 96/97 front cover?
What wiring harness do you need? Could you just repin the LT1 and add a few wires for the CPS and the knock sensor? Or would you be better of finding an LS2 harness... that's some money from what I've seen.

CPS where is this signal coming from?
could you just weld a plate onto the front of the LT1 front cover and mount a LS2 CPS to it.
Then machine a wheel that bolts onto the stock LT1 cam gear with the rise on it like the LS2 cam gear to trigger the CPS? emachine shop should be able to do this but it would be a bit pricey.

Does anyone know how close the CPS has to be to the wheel to work?

That really seems like everything other than what is going to happen to the other knock sensor?

Why hasn't someone done this?
Am I missing something?
all 411's are the same. they are just flased diffrently.. i dont think you want to use the express van flash as its not set up for indiviual coils.

i will do this swap.. the only problem is that i am running out of money from my twin turbo project. also my friend with access to a laser/punching machine moved on to a new job.. now i will have to pay a premium to get some wheels cut out..

my plan is to use a camaro ls1 harness in a lt1 car. then mount a external crank sensor, and modify the opti for cam sensor.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by The Highlander
What ever happened to this? anyone got to do this in the end?
EFI Connection was able to get the LT1 running with coil per cylinder using a 2002 Camaro/Firebird PCM and calibration in July. Click here for a video of the engine running on the test stand.

We have one LT1 running with this system and two gen1 small block engines (with Ram Jet 350 intakes and electronic throttle) running with this system. We're currently working on a final 24x crank reluctor design and a better way of getting the cam signal from the LT1 timing cover.

Our focus lately has been to get one of the Ram Jet 350 engines on a dyno for final testing (in the upcoming weeks if all goes as expected). We're using an S10 for the prototype and dyno work. The S10 is equipped with the following...

- 1987 5.7L L98 Engine (bottom end)
- Ram Jet 350 Intake Manifold
- GM Performance Parts Vortec Heads
- LT4 Hot Cam
- 1.6 Rockers
- LS1 Corvette Electronic Throttle
- 4L60E
- All Wheel Drive (a 93 Typhoon drivetrain)

The 24x crank signal is coming from within the Vortec timing cover. The 1x cam signal is coming from a Vortec distributor.

If you want to keep up with our progress on the availability of the components to use this system, please email mike@eficonnection.com and request to be added to the email newsletter.

Mike
EFI Connection
http://www.eficonnection.com

Last edited by S10Wildside; 09-01-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:32 PM

So the 411 ECM should have the same pinout as shown here?
http://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/enginetorques.htm

I'll start working in Emachine shop and see if I can come up with a wheel design to bolt on top of the cam gear for a reasonable price. This seems fairly straight forward from what I can tell.
I've got a spare LT1 harness I can repin for the new ecm and adding some connectors for the crank and cam sensor should be easy enough. A bit tedious though.

If anyone has any measurements they can share on the LS2 cam gear ridge post them up.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:51 PM

I remember seeing on this forum someone already did something like this using the opti back plate and shaft...

I haven't been able to find the pictures.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:10 AM

If you are in need of a laser to cut wheels or something else I can make it happen. I would need the details and preferably a design in AutoCad. A good firend of mine has 2 CNC lasers at his shop and cuts stuff for me all the time. I would love to help this project, either way hopefully something is availible by the time have my camaro ready to assemble.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by IDAREU
If you are in need of a laser to cut wheels or something else I can make it happen. I would need the details and preferably a design in AutoCad. A good firend of mine has 2 CNC lasers at his shop and cuts stuff for me all the time. I would love to help this project, either way hopefully something is availible by the time have my camaro ready to assemble.
sent you a pm
Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 PM

This is great news for the LTx crowd....
Old 09-04-2008, 09:12 AM

subscribing
Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ray@NitroDaves
subscribing
same here!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:46 AM

Wrong thread!
Old 10-21-2008, 01:35 PM

subscribing, I may not need to go carb to get higher RPM's I was looking for, and I didn't want to spend the money on a fast or other piggy back setup...
Old 11-19-2008, 07:34 AM

We've just about finished testing with the S10...

Dyno Tune
Done. Smooth pulls resulting in 311hp/334tq.

Drive by Wire
Runs just like a newer vehicle.

Integrated Cruise Control
Instant response, no more lag (like the vacuum type systems).

Closed Loop
Works just fine.

24x Reluctor Availability
Available at http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn..._cylinder.aspx.

LT1 Availability
Almost. We're finishing up testing for the cam sensor pieces. More details when this is done.

LT1 Conversion Harness
A complete plug and play replacement to the original LT1 engine harness. (prototype pictured)

Mike
http://www.eficonnection.com

Last edited by S10Wildside; 11-19-2008 at 07:37 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 PCM on LT1.