Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:35 PM

Help

Help needed.

I just got a scrap camaro z28 92 year. Am
From Zambia and this camaro ecu was stolen. Been sitting there for a very long time and managed to convince the owner to scrap it for me

Anyways, it's my first American machine . Need some help or advise

1) I need an ecu. What else do I need with the ecu ? Do I need to program the ecu ? If so is it possible to get a programmed ecu since I know no one in Zambia can do it and of course not possible to send the car to America just for programming ?

2) if I go carbureted, what do I need to change and do I still need an ecu or not ?

3) I'm a newbie to this America. V8. Please bear with me
Old 01-26-2017, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Re: Help

You are probably going to have to find a used ECM (engine control module in "GM-speak") in the USA, have it programmed here for your specific engine, and then shipped to you in Zambia. Probably find one on ebay, but not everyone ships outside the USA. If there is any sort of GM dealer in Zambia, they could program the ECM.

In order to have it programmed, you have to provide the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) for your car. That will include a letter or number in the 8th position that designates the engine that was installed in the car when it left the factory. It will be either:

F = 305 cubic inch LB9 205 HP (230 HP with G92 performance axle)

8 = 350 cubic inch B2L (245 HP) or L98 (245 HP)
Old 01-26-2017, 09:37 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: Help

Originally Posted by YounusZambia
2) if I go carbureted,... and do I still need an ecu or not ? ...
Yes