Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

handheld tuner or mail order tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:27 AM

handheld tuner or mail order tune

hello all, i recently bought a 2000 a4 z28 after my insurance totaled out my 97 lt1 (minor accident, deemed not worth repair through insurance). the previous owner had it for a short time. the owner before him appeared to tune the car to fit his needs. it appears he hardened the shifts and possibly did some small tweaks to it. well now that it is my DD i am looking to fix a couple issues. it seems he had way bigger tires on it (im just running stock right now) because my speedo is way off, also havent checked to see if rear end gears were changed (rpo code states 3.23 gearing). speedo will say im going about 95, when in actuality im going about 80. also it appears the speed was limited (SES light was on when i tried, now off so dont know if it limits speed, havent tried since got light off) to 120. with winter approaching im not too worried about jamming past 120, but with the speedo off i max out at about roughly 103ish.

im not looking to do much to it within the next year or so, but these are issues i would like fixed sooner than later. i was thinking about buying diablosport intune (yes i know actual tuning is better) read it should be able to fix my problems, plus i can monitor how it is running. mail order tunes are cheaper/better , but also require no pcm for a bit and not being able to tweak things when i want or monitor basic functions (hate dummy temp gauge) ... without calling any shops (closed till monday) has anybody had the speedo calibrated at a shop before? and they do it with a tuner i presume? would a small shop be able to take off speed limiter? i dont need a LS specialty tuner right now... i would like to spend least amount of money (more money for mods )

thanks
Old 10-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Re: handheld tuner or mail order tune

You don't have to send your PCM in for a mail order tune. They can send you a programmed PCM for a core charge, then you return yours. Or they can send you a new file to upload to the PCM yourelf.