Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Chip to retard performance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:11 AM

Chip to retard performance?

My son just bought a 1995 z28 and I took it for a ride the other day and had to change my pants when I got home. I have never felt the power and speed in any car I've ever owned.
Since he is a new driver, and not very experienced, I was wondering if I could back off on the performance to make it a little more drivable for him and let me sleep better at night?
A friend told me I could replace a computer chip (behind the glove box) to retard the performance a bit. Everything I'm seeing on line is for improving it and making it go faster!
Thanks in advance for any advice
MikeyD's Dad, Wayne
Old 06-03-2012, 11:16 AM

Re: Chip to retard performance?

Oh, by the way. It's a 95 z28, black with 69,000 miles on it. It's a beautiful car, well maintained. He got a great deal on it ($5,800)
17" wheels. Borla Cat Back Exhaust and I think it has a shift kit.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:34 AM

Not that I know of.

Run 87 octane, put a more restrictive exhaust on it, and get hot air intake.

This car is made for performance. There isn't much you can do to slow it down that wont damage it. The only thing I can think of (and I'm not sure it would work) is a rev limiter along with a top speed limiter.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:53 AM

Your car doesn't have a chip - the computer is flash programmed - the PCM is in the engine compartment on the pass side under the windshield cowl. I suppose it would be possible to detune it - hell, I could probably do that if I wanted to. However, I have never heard of anyone detuning a car or known anybody to do that. Doesn't mean it couldn't be done, though. Maybe get under the hood and put a throttle stop on it.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by 97z28k&N
The only thing I can think of (and I'm not sure it would work) is a rev limiter along with a top speed limiter.
What if he sent the PCM out to PCM's for less for an example, and had it tuned for a 65 MPH speed limit and a 4000 RPM limit. Just a thought.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by jloshotz
What if he sent the PCM out to PCM's for less for an example, and had it tuned for a 65 MPH speed limit and a 4000 RPM limit. Just a thought.
That's what I was thinking.

Or he could buy a Hypertech programmer. That way he could edit the limiters whenever he wanted to use the car. A bit pricey, though...
Old 06-03-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28k&N
That's what I was thinking.

Or he could buy a Hypertech programmer. That way he could edit the limiters whenever he wanted to use the car. A bit pricey, though...
Hmm. Actually about to return mine to stock and get a mail order. Didn't even think of this. Not a bad idea..,,definitely pricy to buy new, agreed. Lowest speed limit would still be 110 iirc though correct? Have to pretty much rely on rev limit, but it should work

Last edited by jloshotz; 06-03-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:09 PM

Hmm. Actually about to return mine to stock and get a mail order. Didn't even think of this. Not a bad idea..,,definitely pricy to buy new, agreed. Lowest speed limit would still be 110 iirc though correct? Have to pretty much rely on rev limit, but it should work
I'm not sure what the lowest is, I just remember reading about what it does and saying, "wow, if only I had $300!"
Old 06-03-2012, 01:11 PM

LOL! I'm sure you were trying to pull overtime like crazy!
Old 06-03-2012, 01:13 PM

LOL! I'm sure you were trying to pull overtime like crazy!
I actually had to talk myself out of it because I always end up spending so much damn money on this car............
Old 06-03-2012, 01:20 PM

I completely feel your pain there. Hoping I can get my 12 grand back out of it someday. (sarcasm lol)
Old 06-03-2012, 01:31 PM

I completely feel your pain there. Hoping I can get my 12 grand back out of it someday. (sarcasm lol)
Old 06-03-2012, 01:47 PM

IMO just a top speed limiter is not what you are looking for. I would venture to guess most teenage driver problems even those associated with excess speed or horseplay happen at speeds he should have access to.

I am sure custom reprogramming could help and in detuning could probably make 87 octane an option but the real solution would have been to be the parent and not let a kid buy a 300hp car because if there is any more work to it than just the catback it is a 300hp car.

My first car was an '82 F-100 with a straight 6 and a flat cam on one cylinder. I still managed to get stopped for 85-90(flat out all the truck had) in a 55mph zone a month before I turned 18. With something like a V8 f-body though rate of acceleration is going to be a problem. I have seen inexperienced adults have cars get away from them. Breaking loose on a shift can send an inexperienced driver for a spin.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:09 PM

quick and easy adjust the throttle cable so it can only go so far. say 60% that makes a lot more sense then a tune or a more restrictive exhaust. may take a bit of fiddling but shouldn't be to hard. my cars torn apart at work so im not sure but if you cant adjust it in the cable then I think there's a throttle stop screw.

now the real problem will be living with your son after. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:06 PM

Thanks, PaxtonLT1, that's the best advice. I know even my 4 cylinder pickup truck can zip along at 60-70 mph. (it takes about 15 mins) So any new driver can get into trouble no matter what they drive but my main concern was how fast this car launches. I stepped on it, fishtailed, got it under control then chirped 2nd gear and it's an automatic! I'll check into adjusting the cable and maybe sleep a little better. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Chip to retard performance?