Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

2 Bar Stock PCM Speed Density Tune for >6psi (Forced Induction)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:03 PM

Thumbs up

Nice.

So this constant only stops the re-calibration at 3500 (~WOT) conditions right?

there still needs to be a way to fix the start-up calibration? or are you just planning on scaling the PE tables or injector constants to compensate?... hense the talk above about re-mapping (excuse the pun ) the tables beyond 100kpa.

Also, anyone have a link to the new C.A.T.S. definition file? I just checked their site and didn't see a new update on there (is this a email-only update?).

Kudo's to TunerCAT for finding the constant... turbo's are sounding more and more friendly.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:54 PM

No you set the Baro reset to 0 meaning it only logs at start up which is perfectly fine because it will not change while driving and atmospheric changes are insignificant at key start up to make any impact on our tuning, once logged at start up at 54KPA (2bar) it will always stay there, I confirmed this as well, that was the happiest email when I emailed them the night before and got one back the next day with the update They've done this for me and a friend in the past, my friend emailed them a few month back to find the closed loop timer table, within a few days they found it and it's now in tunercat as well.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:18 PM

Have you heard anything from the LT1_edit guys at carputing?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 PM

If possible I would hold off emailing Tunercat or LT1_Edit since today they are looking into re-scaling the MAP tables from 25-100 with resolution of 5 to 50-200 with resolution of 10. This DOES NOT mean full 2-bar support this just means 7psu should be about 150kpa in the editor instead of ~75kpa the way it is done right now. I dont know how it will show up in Datamaster.

"So this constant only stops the re-calibration at 3500 (~WOT) conditions right? " Yes and no, stock the PCM resets BARO all the way from 0-3600rpm at WOT (or over about 36%TPS (or close). Changing it to say 500rpm completly stops BARO reset at any rpm/load/boost other than intial Key On and below 500rpm (like older GM's used to do). You could enable 1000rpm limit that way if you lug it and WOT you get a baro reset - this would be helpful when driving low to high altitude in the mountains - RPM is low enough were boost shouldnt be affecting the actual BARO reading.

They are quick and very helpful Im suprised of the amount of support on this one.. I think I may have helped them nail down one of the problems with running 2bar MAPs on LT1's and that is why they are helping? I dunno. Ever since I emailed them with detailed description of the problem they seemed to say they searched the code and found what I was talking about and have found ways to make it work better.

Right now LT1_Edit is modifying my file for me, sending it back and I test it. Tunercat sent me updated definition file to test. Both work.
Now waiting to see if they can rescale the MAP columns and what affect it has in Datamaster or on fueling. Sounds like it wont affect anything other than labeling... would be worth it if Datamaster reports the same scale, if not it would be very confusing.

I fully expect to pay for updated LT1_Edit and Tunercat if the features become available, should be very cheap and give these guys the motivation to keep helping!
Tunercat did say adding tables for complete full bar support would be difficult (didnt say impossible).

Last edited by dookie454; 03-11-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:57 PM

For sure, all I know it's so much better now with this definition file, as soon as I got it I tested it out and it was a big relief
Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM

If possible I would hold off emailing Tunercat or LT1_Edit since today they are looking into re-scaling the MAP tables from 25-100 with resolution of 5 to 50-200 with resolution of 10. This DOES NOT mean full 2-bar support this just means 7psu should be about 150kpa in the editor instead of ~75kpa the way it is done right now. I dont know how it will show up in Datamaster.
is that really doing anything but making it look correct? is the computer actually going to know what those numbers are... is it going to see 100kpa as 0 vacume or 200?
just not sure if your still going to have to scale the rest of the tables up to compensate.

thats really cool that they are working with you on this. hopefully this will make it easier for the rest of us down the road
Old 03-12-2008, 05:24 PM

Heck after eight years we have it!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:23 PM

Fixed another problem with my huge injectors having rich idle and very rich decel (just above the limit of Decel Fuel Cut Off)...Plus there was this nasty surge upon injector re-light since injectors were over fueling.. I compensated with reduced timing upon re-lite but now the problem is gone... the right way. In Tunercats the stocker shows minimum pulsewidth set at 1.4mS, On slight decel and idle mine was 1-1.3 depending... changed it to just below what I saw requested in Datamaster and all fixed... hold 14.7 on decel and 14.7 on idle. Pretty amazing control that stock PCM has I think.

Last edited by dookie454; 03-12-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 PM

Sent you a pm with a few questions, so far my car doesn't like the 2 bar setup yet.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1982z28with18s
Sent you a pm with a few questions, so far my car doesn't like the 2 bar setup yet.
Yea, I would expect that. There's so much stuff I've changed as the result of my 83lb injectors not reacting like they should.. or not reacting like some people say they did for them. I dont know if it's the AEM injector driver or the brand of Injector but I had such bad lean tip in stumble with the "correct" settings I was about ready to sell the 83's and go back to 42's and attempt a FMU and huge pumps.

I've got my Injector Flow entered as 27lb/hr now and it is SO perfect I almost cant believe it. My LTerms are only 1# apart and my idle so far is also 0-1# apart. I really cant believe it. Time will tell on this one seems too good to be true.

Basically Before with the resettig BARO your BLMS were always moving around depenging how long after startup you floored it for the first time... damn that was really a messed up tune looking back. ha... problaby why my BLMs are so good cause I triple sealed the exhaust.. built an extention pipe in the TB to INTAKE IAC passages... etc.

Glad that's over.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:02 PM

Just received moments ago from Tunercat:

"I've set up this version of the Definition File for the 2 bar MAP sensor. You'll find that all the MAP parameters have doubled and the MAP scales on MAP indexed tables have been modified accordingly. I've modified the cylinder volume parameter scaling to adjust the speed density fuel calculation to adjust for the 2 bar MAP sensor so you'll have to reset this value to the correct value. After resetting the cylinder volume you should be able to reset the injector flow rate to the correct value for your injectors.

I'm a bit confused though why you previously had to halve the injector flow rate and the VE values as these changes would counteract each other. Try out the modified Definition File and let me know how it works out."
Old 03-14-2008, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by dookie454
Just received moments ago from Tunercat:

"I've set up this version of the Definition File for the 2 bar MAP sensor. You'll find that all the MAP parameters have doubled and the MAP scales on MAP indexed tables have been modified accordingly. I've modified the cylinder volume parameter scaling to adjust the speed density fuel calculation to adjust for the 2 bar MAP sensor so you'll have to reset this value to the correct value. After resetting the cylinder volume you should be able to reset the injector flow rate to the correct value for your injectors.

I'm a bit confused though why you previously had to halve the injector flow rate and the VE values as these changes would counteract each other. Try out the modified Definition File and let me know how it works out."
So does this mean the VE tables won't only be 17 columns wide anymore, but now 34? Please tell me so and I need that definition file asap from tunercat if so.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:31 AM

This is getting better by the day!!!!! woot
Old 03-14-2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1982z28with18s
So does this mean the VE tables won't only be 17 columns wide anymore, but now 34? Please tell me so and I need that definition file asap from tunercat if so.
No, same resolution just changed the labeling. He also made other changes so all MAP values should be right but these changes are only in the definition file... not the PCM file (at least I dont think so).

Because of this I dont think logging software will display the updated values so really it would make tuning harder since the logging software will report 1/2 the value as the TUnercat menus.

I would be excited for the BARO reset since that's the only problem holding us back all this time and it's been fixed.. there's enough resolution for a 2bar.. probably not enough for a 3bar.

Once I have time to confirm the logging vs the Tunercat updated I'll post but Im pretty sure that's the case.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:20 PM

I'm looking at it as well, it definitely won't change what the PCM reports, it can't do that, its for our eyes only which is fine, it helps in some ways, now we just need a VE master that tunes only up to 50 kpa, that would be ultimate

Quick Reply: 2 Bar Stock PCM Speed Density Tune for >6psi (Forced Induction)