Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

In need of 434 SBC twin turbo advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 PM

In need of 434 SBC twin turbo advice.

Hello.. I am new to the site and a die hard gear head with moderate experience with SBC building...but hardly a pro. I was building 400's with high compression and great power success with major failures. I kept cracking the blocks around the head bolt holes. I purchased a 434 shortblock from wheeler power in Florida and topped it with pro comp 220 aluminum heads . The engine is supposedly comparable to a dart...however I cant confirm or deny this. It definately is unlike any small block I have ever seen. I have a 550 solid cam and the compression is 10.5 w/ JE dish pistons and H-beam rods. The engine was set up for nitrous and the rings are moly.

My situation is I want to either go nitrous or twin turbo...although it can pull a bridge off the foundation...I am craving more. Knowing little about nitrous and even less about twin turbos...here I am. I am open to suggestions..lol..I have found turbo kits with what seems to be everything needed. However I dont want destroy my engine because of garbage parts or too much of this/ not enough of that. If anyone knows a proven combo...I would be greatly appreciative.

I also have an 817 virgin 400 block, steel crank for a 377, dart iron eagle heads w/ 215 cc and 54 chambers, 60. over cp forged pistons with less than 2 runs, h-beam rods...a 750 double mechanical...I no longer need them and I am taking best offer...

heads around 300
block 100
crank 150
h-beams 150
holley
buy it all and I will throw in the pistons and 377 spacers w/ bearings new in the box!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:45 PM

I'd try to enjoy it AS IS if you're old routine was major failure. Can't recommend much without knowing what the car is used for either. More Info.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:12 AM

On these block that have been cracking, are you using Bolts or Studs?
If I were doing a twin turbo of this size I would start with one of the thick deck after market blocks and ARP head studs. There has been discussions in "Advanced Tech" about the need to do a partial block fill on an engine like this, you may want to do a search on there. Also there is a FI (Force Induction) section, you could check.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:20 AM

You are probably right Autoroc...It is a street/weekend warrior strip car...It has a 4000 stall and built trans w/ brake. The car is an 85 cutlass with a 9 inch and spool. With this motor I hope for 11's. My dream is 9's however...I am running on pump fuel now...I am looking for a serious power adder that I can hop up on the weekends for the track and tame for the street. I know how hard nitrous is on the engine...so I looked to turbo power...I am hoping adjustable boost will give me versatility and serious power.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 AM

Thanks Z28sorr...these are the bits I need...I dont want cooling issues as I drive it mostly on the street...the turbo is out...this wheeler block has a 5/8 deck thickness...but after my 400 problems I am not pushing my luck...I was using ARP head studs...w/ 15 to 1 compression...From what I have read online...its common for a 400 to crack with high cylinder pressures....many people have success...but not me....both engines were professionally built by Sam Gellner..Sam has been in Hot Rod many times and is the gold standard around here....splayed 4-bolt caps coated/screened/plugged lifter galley...water jacket reducer plugs...windage tray....clearanced and deburred everywhere...etc.. Its a shame I have a complete set up for the 400...brand new parts...the pistons were custom made CP forged..over $900.00 just for those...but now they scare me...so I bought the 434 and on the shelf it went..lol...I thought about throwing the new 400 in the machine shop and building it...I have everything for it from the old one....then putting it on E-bay...but I would feel bad if this one cracked on somebody...been there and it sucks!...I really appreciate all the advice...I cant afford anymore mistakes!