Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

ls1 swap in to a 67 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 01:52 PM

ls1 swap in to a 67 camaro

Ok , i have really been debating on what motor i wanted to install in to my 1st gen and have decided that a LS1 would be kickass. I know that others have done this but i was wondering is there any write-ups on this kind of a thing ?

I would really like to see what problems that others have ran in to.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2004, 01:03 PM

Re: ls1 swap in to a 67 camaro

I might know someone who's done that...

What kind of info would you like?
Old 12-08-2004, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by 67 LS-1 & T-56
I might know someone who's done that...

What kind of info would you like?
I would be interested in knowing a little about what was involved in the installation and the problems you had to overcome. My biggest question is what did you do about the electrical stuff and the computer?

I don't know what kind of time you have, but a write up on this subject could be very useful for many enthusiats across the country. I tell ya what, if I knew more about it, I would consider doing this to a certain 69 camaro that's sittin in the garage right now... ...it's waiting for the 396 to get some new heads but an LS1 would be neat.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:47 PM

Yeah I wanted to know about this as well. I have a 67 camaro and wanted to know what kind of modifications needed to be done - especailly with the wiring since they need computers,etc,etc
Old 12-09-2004, 02:03 AM

If you find a complete ls1/trans and computer/wiring, there are places that can modify the wiring, or you can do it yourself probably or just buy a painless wiring kit now. I'm not an expert on the LS1 swap because i havn't done it but i'm pretty sure you can get the motormounts from yearone maybe...

William
Old 12-09-2004, 02:07 AM

To begin with, it wasnt easy by any means. If your going to undertake a project of this magnitude it would be a good idea to map out your budget from a financial and time investment standpoint. I started this project my senior year in highschool, and it took me 3 years to complete. My swap could be considered a "budget pro-touring" setup, or thats how I would describe it in any kind of "write up" I completed it step by step very slowly. I went into the whole thing without any understanding of conceptual design or planning, I basically said "I want to to put this LS1 into this car, and I want to do it with the money I make at my part time job, in the time I have while im not in school". This thing became my life, and I'll be graduating college a year late because of it, not that I regret anything, I love the car, as you guys could imagine. I've probably invested at least $10-12k in the project over the past few years, and remember, this was done on a tight budget.

Now for specifics:
LS1 and T56 : salvaged from 1998 Camaro Z28, included PCM
PCM programming from MTI
Serpentine pulley system from Street and Performance
Wiring from TPIS
High PSI fuel system with Aeromotive A1000 pump
4th Gen electric fans
stock 67 camaro cooling system
adaptor plates for hydraulic cltuch assembly
custom headers and exhaust
Stuff I cant think of right now, Ivebeen studying all day

heres a few more details:

http://www.afbforums.com/index.php?&...CODE=12&CID=81

The list goes on and on, and trust me its all worth it. For ALOT of details chec k out www.ls1tech.com They have an entire forum devoted to LS1 swaps. You'll probly notice some cars like Tony Watley's that put mine to shame, but hey, I drive mine everyday, and im a commuter student. I get about 25 mpg, and Ive put 22k problem free (give or take) miles on the car in the past year since the swap was completed. Any more Q's?
Old 12-09-2004, 03:02 AM

your 67 sounds very sweet...i think it can be done alot cheaper now due to the ls1's dropping in price and it's alot more common to swap that now, so parts can probably be found cheaper...i applaud you putting it together with money you made in a part time job around (for the most part) school.

VERY well done,
William
Old 12-15-2004, 01:41 PM

I am in the process of doing the same swap. I'll see if I can chime in here what I've found out:

There are two companies that sell "install kits" for LS1 motors:

Street & Performance: www.hotrodlane.cc
S&P makes a motor mount, which sets the motor further back, you can re-use your stock accesories but not the AC, you'll either have to notch the subframe or run one of thier expensie serpentine systems. They also make a shorty header to go with these mounts and you'll also have to notch the oil pan. They sell these as well or offer the service.

BRP Hotrods: www.brphotrods.com
BRP makes a motor mount as well, which sets the motor further forward. This enables you to retain all accesories and the AC, and the oil pan can be left stock. But you must ditch your stock rear-steer and run one of their retrofit 4th gen rack & pinion kits. This requires notching the subframe and they give you instructions to do this yourself, or they offer the complete service. The sway bar is moved to the rear of the a-arms, and the main advantage to this setup (besides the rack & pinion steering) is that it enables you to run long tube headers. Now there is a company called Stainless works which sell these and they are the only "bolt-on" longtube for LS1's desgined for 1st gen's. But you must use the BRP motor mounts and rack & pinion steer. BRP also sells a T56 install kit.

That narrows down the hard install of the motor.

For the T56, like I said before BRP sells a kit, but American Touring Specialties (ATS) also sells a more complete kit: www.t56kit.com I also think Kiesler engineering sells a T56 kit.

For wiring there are some options:
Painless makes a wiring harness for LS1's, although I think it's only for 98 PCM's but I may be wrong. You can also get a custom harness from Street & Performance or you can get www.speartech.com to modify your stock one and re-tune the computer. The modifying includes removing Vats, Air & Smog equipment. There are various companies that can tune the computer: LS1speed, MTI etc.

For fuel is where I am a bit stumped. Most guys use these Rock valley stainless tanks: http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/catalog.htm you can also buy narrowed versions from Detroit Speed & Engineering if you are mini-tubbing and running 335's. You can also do fuel cells, other custom tanks or modify a stock tank. The Rock valley tanks are big $$$. Not sure if you can run a stock tank with an external inline pump only.

For cooling you can run a donor rad and fan setuo from a 4th gen, or an aftermarket rad like Be Cool or others.

I found most of this info on www.ls1tech.com and www.pro-touring.com
Old 12-17-2004, 10:33 PM

I'm pretty sure you cant just run an external inline. I talked to a place that makes them and it's a supplimental pump only, not a stand alone. I just picked up my stock tank that i had modified by a local machinest to house the factory pump from the LT1 car that i'm pulling the guts from. External inline electric pumps are for boost in pressure only, they cant pull enough to supply the fuel.

William
Old 12-18-2004, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by will69camaro
I'm pretty sure you cant just run an external inline. I talked to a place that makes them and it's a supplimental pump only, not a stand alone. I just picked up my stock tank that i had modified by a local machinest to house the factory pump from the LT1 car that i'm pulling the guts from. External inline electric pumps are for boost in pressure only, they cant pull enough to supply the fuel.

William

Ive been running an external pump and a stock tank for almost 2 years now.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:48 AM

What pump and what pressure does it push? I was under the impression from vortech (I was looking at the t-rex pump) that the external inlines were supplimental only...It's ok though because i picked up my stock tank that has the factory 94 pump installed and got it done free

William
Old 12-23-2004, 05:01 PM

Aeromotive A1000 pump, its supposed to be good for about 80 psi. Those Vortech pumps are purely supplemental.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:55 AM

Wow wish i had known that and i would have just bought an external instead of fighting with using an intank...Oh well hind sight. If this doesn't work then maybe i'll look at that pump with a new tank

William
Old 12-26-2004, 04:58 PM

The new 'Best of Tech' magazine out on the stands has an article on swapping an LS1 into a 67-69 Camaro. Looks like just what you need.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt Reynolds
The new 'Best of Tech' magazine out on the stands has an article on swapping an LS1 into a 67-69 Camaro. Looks like just what you need.
Where can I get this magazine? I've never heard of it....

Quick Reply: ls1 swap in to a 67 camaro