Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

Hard to start, then blows white smoke out carb and backfires badly when started. HELP

Old 06-06-2002, 08:51 PM
Banned

Arrow Hard to start, then blows white smoke out carb and backfires badly when started. HELP

Ok guys. the '79 TA listed below decided to give me fits starting it up tonight when i got off work. it had been raining hard today, and the structural integrity of the engine bay is not that great due to the half *** shaker i got on there. so some water does make its way onto the manifold for the most part. but could get other places. so anyway, it gave me so much fits to start that i had no juice left after a while of trying to start it up. it would crank, but not catch. so i got a ride to the house, and brought the WS.6 TA down there with cables and a flashlight. i found a loose plug wire, and thought that may be it. so i hooked up the two TA's and went to crank the '79. I got juice now, so no prob there. but still won't catch.....and it blows out big puffs of white smoke out thru the top of the air element. so it came from the carb. what the hell is that all about? so after this white smoke display a number of times, it starts up eventually. and man let me tell you that it let out he most hellacious backfires out the header dumps. VERY loud. then it just wants to shut off after popping out the exhaust and kinda stumbling around for the most part. i have to keep on the gas to keep it going......but with the popping out the exhaust dumps, i couldn't even do that. had to shut it off. i started it up a few more times and got the popping and shut off deal again. so someone please tell me why a car would blow white smoke out the carb and not start.....then backfire like mad and shut off when it does start? sorry to sound like an idiot if its obvious. but hey, i am not a big carbed engine genius. i am scared to start it up tommorow when i get back to work, yet i hate to have it towed. the wires all seem to be hooked up, and the distributor is not wet. but maybe other loose plug wires could cause this? or did the carb or engine soak up some water? running extremely rich? not sure, any ideas appreciated. thanks.

------------------
96 WS.6 T/A, A4, Black w/ white 30th ann. stripes , polished chrome WS.6 rims, all options. Factory Ram Air w/K&N, AS&M 58MM TB, port Matched Intake, !TB, 160 Thermo, Fastchip custom tune,Aero AFPR, 30# SVO Injectors, Hooker Longtube Headers, Flowmaster 3" catback, Cutout, 3200 PI TC, Transgo Shift Kit, B&M Supercooler, LT4 Hotcam, 1.6 GMPP Rockers, springs etc., LT4KM, Hypertech Crank Pulley, Motive 3.73's, TA Cover, Nitrous Express #20920 Kit.

1980 T/A Metallic Blue Stock '73 400ci YN bottom end, Speed Demon 750 carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, K&N X-Stream Assembly, Edelbrock Performer RPM 72cc Heads, 1.5 roller tip rockers, Cam: custom grind hydraulic roller, dur. @.050 234/244, lift .488/.510, Hooker Supercomp Headers, dual 3" cutouts behind headers.
TH-350 Tranny, shift kit, Vig 3600 Stall converter, Hurst V-Matic. Richmond 3.90 Gears, ET Streets. 150 NOS Sniper coming soon!

1995 Eclipse GS-T, Auto, TurboXs BC, Brode Upper I/C pipe and MAS->Turbo pipe, TurboXs RBV-BOV, Blitz Timer, K&N FIPK, Autometer gauges.

http://www.fbody.com/members/rycekiller/eclipsesig.jpg
http://www.sffba.com/images/sigpics/badblack.jpg
Old 06-08-2002, 01:08 PM

Sounds like water in the distibitor making it cross fire causing you're backfiring. Dry the cap and blow air in the dist. If it has alot of water in it, if you dont blow it out of the dist it will vaporize and go back to the top of the cap and start cross firing again.
Old 06-08-2002, 02:06 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TAYLORMADE:
Sounds like water in the distibitor making it cross fire causing you're backfiring. Dry the cap and blow air in the dist. If it has alot of water in it, if you dont blow it out of the dist it will vaporize and go back to the top of the cap and start cross firing again.</font>
That is what i thought it may be. this guy in the parking lot that joined in said the same thing yesterday. so we popped it off and it seemed dry as a bone. the electrodes were white (normal?), but dry. maybe the MSD box got wet? at this point it needs a jump to start it up every time. so i am just going to have it towed to my mechanics. if i tow it to my house and can't figure it out, then i have to tow it again. it will turn out to be something stupid i am sure.

[This message has been edited by BAD BLACK WS6 (edited June 08, 2002).]