Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

New heads and cam suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:00 PM

Talking New heads and cam suggestion

Here what I ve got now below, looking for a good set of heads and an aggressive cam.

882 cast heads
air gap intake
comp 268 xe
750 dp
1 5/8 headers
KB flat hypers
Th-350 w/ transgo shift kit
TCI 3500 stall (freebie)
3700 lbs w/ driver

Thinking of AFR 195 s w/ comps xe288 hr, keeping shifts at 6K (nearly stock crank and rods) Any input welcome. Thanks again!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:12 PM

Smile Re: New heads and cam suggestion

Hay I have the same setup but vortec heads. My shift point is 6000 and it runs mid to hi 12's in a 3600 lbs car.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:35 PM
IHI

Re: New heads and cam suggestion

The heads are an excellent choice-but I'm baised to AFR for out of the box performance

whats the matter with sotck bottom ends? I've got 1800+ passes and 5-6K street miles on mine...so my motor proved to many in my area you dont HAVE to have a $1800 bottom end to make reliable horsepower..but I never sprayed either-all N/A.

With the 3500 stall your going to need to stick with a cam that has actual duration @.050 in the mid 23? range to maximize. othersie you'll be under the curve on the hit and will leave some on the table ET wise. How much are you going to drive it and how much work do you want to have to go faster as far as maintenance. A solid flat tappet will out power a hyd flat tappet everyday of the week and coupled with the better valetrain parts once it's all seasoned lash adjustiments/checks are few and far between providing you use good rockers with a stud girdle. Or if you want to get away from bi monthly lash checks, go with a shaft rocker set-up on your solid flat tappet or solid roller-best choice of all
Old 02-03-2006, 09:49 PM

What are you going to use the car for? Hard to tell what to build unless you have a target use for the car. Street, street strip, strip? Go from there. Auto, manual, what kind of tire? All of these will determine what direction you need to go. Fat chicks? Blondes or red heads? Legs or eyes? Oops. Sorry.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:32 AM

Glad to see a lot of input, anyway, this plans to be a street/strip car. I only drive it around 750 miles a year during the summer, not a daily driver so I plan on being a bit agressive with the new combo. My goal is sub 12.5 N/A on my M/T 275/60/15 drag radials. IHI, I dont see how much power I could gain by going to a solid cam considering the shifts will be fairly low (less float in the lifters) but im sure you know better than me. CR will be between 10 and 10.5.

Also:
1.52 CC RR
Flowmaster Exhaust with 2.5 pipes
90/10 fronts 50/50 rear shocks
PST front bushings w/ no sway bar
original 6cyl (250) springs

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/686985
Old 02-04-2006, 02:06 PM
IHI

A solid cam by design allows alot more agressive ramps to really snap the valve open quicker to start chamber filling sooner and then holding it open longer to allow as much air as possible in then snapping shut. It's not so much lift or duration but it's the angle of the lobe and that is where alot more power is made.

FWIW my shift point is 6K so building the motor to work lower is in your best intrest for low maintenance and durability. And since it's not a dialy driver, I would not even consider using anything but a solid cam of some sort weather flat tappet or roller if the budget is that open, quite a bit more power to be had going this route!
Old 02-05-2006, 11:45 AM

Thumbs up Re: New heads and cam suggestion

Would the CC XE274SR match up good with the afr 195s and the rest of the combination. The valve lift of this with my roller rockers would be in the .570 on the intake and .580 on the exhaust, great for the flowing characteristics of the AFR 195s. Or would I have better luck with Lunati or UD Harold's Bullet Cams? Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:58 PM
IHI

Personally (as I already did and will continue in the future) will deal only with ultradyne and let those guys pick my grind, considering many of them were the ones that desinged the cams advertised to death by the bigger makers (comp/lunati etc..) so knowing they were the ones that cam up with the popular split ground cams you know they have other tricks up thier sleeves. I had never ever heard of bullet until frequenting a hardcore racing forum and more and more guys were touting these cams as the best designs money can buy and making incredible power with numerically smaller grinds when compared to the typical Comp stuff, so I tried them and could not have been happier.

We spoke for a good 30 minutes as I listed everything I "wanted" and Bob was able to pick the cam I ran, and I was unexpectantly suprised at the power it made with the overall small lift and duration and EXCELLENT streeablilty which I told them was priority.

Either way, whatever the maker of the cam, the excellent flow of the afr's will really make it shine so your in great shape no matter what you decide.