Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

Aftermarket Ignition Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:21 PM

Aftermarket Ignition Questions

I have some ignition questions that I need some help with. My father used to race Stock Eliminator until the mid 80's. He parked the car around 86-87 and it was in storage until a couple years ago when he retired. He took it out of storage a, threw a set of street tires, mufflers & turn downs, and put a thermostat back in. He makes a handful of short cruises during the summer, but that is it.

I've been bugging him to take it to a show and go this year and run it, but he won't do it because he says the ignition system was already dated when he parked and he doesn't want to run it unless he upgraded that. Since he doesn't have any plans to race it again, he doesn't have the need or desire to upgrade the ignition set up. So I was going to buy one and remove his excuse. I know he has mentioned a Crane system a few times, but I don't know which one. I do know he wants the retards and stage delay functions - as well as the ability to change them.

So the questions:
Does anyone know which Crane system fits that bill and can still be used on the street? What coil would I need to buy with it? The distributor it currently has in it is an Accel dual point distributor. Would I need a completely new distributor (If so, what kind?), or could I just upgrade the points to an electronic module?

Other info that may be needed - it was an A stock car, so it's a 427/425 with a 4 speed and 5.38 gears. It ran low 11's @ 125-130, shifting at 7k.

TIA!

Last edited by drasgear; 06-02-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 PM

Is it the mechanical tach drive distributor?

I am sure Pertronix has a module that would drop right in. I would buy one of their coils at the same time if that's the way you decide to go.

Pertronix also has affordable billet housing distributors that work great as a drop-in replacement if you don't need a tach drive. MSD Makes a tach drive replacement distributor.

The crane ignition systems are top notch, and they should work with a pertronix system.