Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

80 RS camaro - Failed emissions..

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 PM

80 RS camaro - Failed emissions..

So I have a 1980 RS camaro with a 305 5.0 L v8 engine. I bought the car in TN, when doing so the guy told me I should probably get antique tags because the car wouldnt pass emissions.. so I did.. Well now that I live in CO, they just brought back emissions and they have visual inspections. Anyways I went ahead and took my car in to see if it would pass and like the guy who sold me the car had told me.. it failed. It has headman headers, straight to pipes. No catalyic converters. Missing air injection reactor system, bracket and all.

So I went into muffler shop to get an estimate of what it would cost to pass emissions. He said 2,000 $.. With the air injection system using air tubes that attach to manifolds, I cant run headers. So I would need two catalyic converters, entire air injection system including brackets, replace headers for manifolds.. ect. ect..

I've been looking around for ways to get around it. The 79 camaro didnt come with an air pump.. Which is a 910L4 I believe... My camaro was manufactured in 09/79. I thought maybe because of that it would have 79 emissions equitment but most everyone has told me because its an 80 model it will have 80s emissions equitment.

They do have classic car plates in CO but the vehicle has to be 35 years old to be able to get them and even if you can get them you are required to pass one emissions test.

There are other counties in colorado that do not have emissions, I've heard of people saying get a P.O box in another county that doesnt require emissions and register the car there... but I dont think that would work.. Also heard of UPS mailbox that give you actual address.. which might work.

Basically.. I am asking if anyone knows of a way to get out of emissions, PO box, UPS mailbox, if any of that will work.

If vehicle is manufactured in 09/79 but is an 80 model would it have 79 emissions or 80 emissions.

They do have visual inspections but they do not actually see if they are working properly, they just have to be there basically. SO if i do need to get A.I.R, would an air pump, bracket,pulley, air tubes, be enough to make it look as if its there to pass.

I know the two catalyic converters I have to get to pass.. which I dont mind doing. It's the replacing headers for manifolds and buying every single part for A.i.r and doing it correctly...

Any feed back would be appreciated.. sorry its A LOT.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:20 AM

Re: 80 RS camaro - Failed emissions..

Oh another idea I had was to buy an emissions sticker thats for a 79 camaro and put it on my car. Do you think they would just look at that sticker and not even run the vin or would they figure it out?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:51 AM

I have almost a complete AIR system from my 92 in a bag in my basement that worked when I pulled it off last year.
IIRC it comes with the solenoid, tube that goes to each side of the engine, and the air pump. Don't remember if I took the bracket off or not and have since sold the old 305 in place of an lt1.

I'm not sure about the legalities or work arounds, but I can send you everything for cheap if you choose to go that route. I hope for you though, you don't have to screw around with it, because that system takes up too much room for nothing.

I would try the P.O box method, or maybe you have a family/friend that lives in another county or state that you can register your car in?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 AM

I wish I did have a family member that lived in a county that didnt test for emissions but I do not. All of them are in different states!

I really appreciate the offer but I do not think the parts from a 92 would fit my 80.