New scammer lookout!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:57 PM

New scammer lookout!

I got this email the other day in response to my camaro for sale here. Keep an eye out for scams like this. Have heard its happening more and more.

Hello thieman, we have concluded, making the payment
Thanks for your email and update on the bottom price($8,000),it was
accepted by my clientand he has directed us to issue payment to you. I
would need your assurance that the property whose payment we would start
processing,is in a good condition as the only view our client had of the
vehicle was on the internet and this purchase is hinged on his personal
judgement of what the property's state and output would be like,in
comparison to models of its category. However,he made out a certified
cashiers check of($13,000) before he travelled for a conference,for a
previous vehicle and its shipment charges etc,but it wasunfortunately
sold. The amount on the check he deposited for the vehicle is bigger than
what should be paid to you now, so the check is now meant for the total
expenses which includes the purchase of your vehicle ,its pick up from its
present location and the shipping charges/other necessary shipping
arrangements.However he has instructed us to bikery on with this
transaction. So when payment gets to you, you're required to deduct the
cost of your vehicle ($8,000) and send the balance of($5,000) to my client
shipping agent to enable him offsett shipping charges/arrangements. Once
the transaction is concluded, My client shipping agent will be coming for
the pick up of the vehicle from its present location, on an access to a
prepaid shipper for shipment,and also conclude other necessary shipping
arrangements. So you dont have to bother yourself about the pick up and
shipping rrangements, while title papers and other necessary documets will
be sent by you via fedex courier . Please Confirm this and provide (1)
NAME (2) CONTACT ADDRESS AND CONTACT PHONE NUMBER(s) for check payment to
be delivered to you via regular mail immediately , please remove the add
of the vehicle from the internet to avoid complications from other buyers
Old 02-07-2009, 11:42 PM

i deal one way w. cars hand me cash for my car i sign title and hand over keys... done easiest thing goin lol
Old 02-08-2009, 10:00 AM

bastards
Old 02-08-2009, 08:01 PM

I cant believe people still fall for the over payment trick... Its the oldest trick in the book and people still fall for it.

Thanks for the heads up but I'm with the other guys. Hand me cash or you get nothing.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:13 PM

This type of scam has been going on for years.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:37 PM

yup put my truck up for sale on craigslist and got 2 emails from 2 seperate guys the same night, ide really like to know where they were cause ide show them the tactical choke on my remington and wash their mouths out with buckshot!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:01 AM

obviously people still fall for it or they wouldnt keep trying. Amazing.

Another one still all over ebay is they are out of the country on buisness. Wire money to Zimbabwe and their brother here in the US will ship the item 2nd oldest trick but people still fall for it.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 AM

Let him send you the check, which will be worthless- try to deposit it, and promise to send him the difference he is asking for- DON'T DO IT, THOUGH- the check will not clear, but it will probably take a week or 10 days for your bank to figure that out- send him promises, tell him about your bank problems, etc- just don't send him any money or let anybody take the car until your bank can absolutely tell you the check is okay- and, because it is most likely an international check, it will take probably more than a week to find out the 'certified check' is no good-

Meanwhile, you can have fun with the scammer, keep making promises and tell him about all the problems your bank is having with the check- If he is anxious to have the car picked up, make arrangements with the police to be there so they can arrest his accomplice- for fraud -
Old 02-10-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wild *****
Let him send you the check, which will be worthless- try to deposit it, and promise to send him the difference he is asking for- DON'T DO IT, THOUGH- the check will not clear, but it will probably take a week or 10 days for your bank to figure that out- send him promises, tell him about your bank problems, etc- just don't send him any money or let anybody take the car until your bank can absolutely tell you the check is okay- and, because it is most likely an international check, it will take probably more than a week to find out the 'certified check' is no good-

Meanwhile, you can have fun with the scammer, keep making promises and tell him about all the problems your bank is having with the check- If he is anxious to have the car picked up, make arrangements with the police to be there so they can arrest his accomplice- for fraud -
They will never come to pick up the car they don't even want the car. All they want is your cheque for the difference. My company went through this with a guy who recreated our cheques and sent them to people to pay for room and board also over paying them hoping that even a few of the people were TRUSTING enough to send them the difference then we would report our cheques as a fraudulent once we discovered it and the cheque would be returned and the poor people that sent them money were out the overpayment.
Another friend got an email like that for his boat when he asked my advice I told him it would be a scam. So he asked them for a bank draft and told them he would not ship the boat for at least 3 weeks to give the cheque time to clear. They agreed at first but they never sent anything. Then one day they contacted him and wanted to do a Western Union wire transfer and that’s when they get you. They get your info and then wire money to their account. Unfortunately with Western union it’s not traceable so you get screwed.
In the end you need to be very weary of a good deal.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:53 PM

Had an a$$hole try and pull this on me a month ago...he lived in England, wanted my 85 k5 diesel blazer. HA...ok so ill sell it to you for my asking price of $4000. He then wants to send me $6800 so i can pay his shipper via western union....rrrriiiiigggghhhttt...i go with it, get the check and head to the bank to ask my banker to verify funs. Sure enough...account closed due to fraud. Ok...i email the guy back some really nice words. That was that. His email was something like truemike @ yahoo...with somehing else in there...beware guys.. Cash talks.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:26 PM

That Sucks

Craigslist is horrible for that. I had the same crap happen when I was selling a watch. I was asking 300 and the buyer "accidently" sent 1300. I was suppose to take the 300 and give me 1000. I was like yeah right. He sent a bogus check and I turned it to the fraud department for Bank of America. 2 Days latrer I got another check for the same amount in the mail from a different sender lol... Check came from a bank in california and the sender was from texas lol.. Name was Jose something lol. I don't deal with Craigslist anymore. Any email that has to do with Western Union, Client, larger words to make it sound more intelligent, etc. lol..
Old 02-17-2009, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sunsetmaro
I don't deal with Craigslist anymore.
Craigslist has nothing to do with that.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:38 PM

Funny payback story...
http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/
Old 02-24-2009, 10:40 PM

I have a chipper for rent!!! You must clean it after your done with it.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:20 PM

After reading that I told him to send me the money. Its supposedly on its way now lol.

Quick Reply: New scammer lookout!