1997 Camaro SS- Black, fresh 383, M6

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:56 PM

1997 Camaro SS- Black, fresh 383, M6

I am the second owner of this SS (bought it in early 2000 with only 9,000 miles), and thought that I would keep it forever, but all good things must come to an end. I'm getting engaged soon, and one of the toys has to go. It has 64,732 original miles, and it is a real SS...the SS sticker on the radiator support cover and inside the driver's door are intact and legible. The build # is 359. Its a t-top car with factory black paint and the Graphite leather interior, with the 30th Anniversary logos on the seats (all 97s were 30ths). It is still wearing the original 17x9 SS wheels, and other than a black MBA SS shifter ****, a pillar pod gauge, and a slightly lower than stock stance (aftermarket Eibach Springs), it looks original. It still has the original embroidered SS floor mats, and the SS car cover with matching bag. It has the usual power options (drivers seat, windows, locks, tilt, rear defogger, CD), and t-tops.Its not a show car, but it is in very good condition for a 12 year old car that has been driven.

The engine is a fresh (maybe 300 miles on it) 383 LT1(mods listed below), backed by the original T56 . A new Be Cool aluminum radiator and Mezeirre Electric water pump went in when the engine was rebuilt. The clutch is a McLeod Single Disc, replaced when the engine was rebuilt. The rearend is a 3.42 geared unit out of a 2002 (less than 20k on it), with the slightly larger 98-02 style discs. The tires are Nitto NT555 27540ZR17s, which are practically new (less than 2k miles).

The suspension is stock, other than LG Motorsports weld-in subframe connectors (put in by the previous owner, when the car was new);Energy Suspension sway bar end links/sway bar bushings/trans mount/torque arm mount; the x-brace from a convertible; and a 24mm rear sway bar (from a 3rd gen Trans Am).

The engine is an LT1 383, with an Eagle crank, Scat rods, and Wiseco Pro Tru forged pistons. The rotating assembly was balanced. The heads were CNC ported by Lingenfelter, and have 2.00/1.56 valves. They were on the car when I bought it, and the machine shop did a valve job and replaced the springs with stronger Comp springs. The cam is a Gallant Technical Performance GTP 6, with 236/242, .568/.592 with the Comp Pro magnum roller rockers.Compression is 12.3:1, and it runs great on premium pump gas. The intake was also ported by Lingenfelter, and was opened up for a 58mm throttle body. All the internal fasteners are ARP (the heads and mains are studded); external fasteners are Totally Stainless button head allen. All the gaskets are Fel Pro. It also has a Canton Road Race oil pan. The engine was professionally painted with Pewter Metallic base/clearcoat, including the water pump housing and intake (which were both smoothed), and looks very nice but not overly flashy. I also repainted the engine compartment with black basecoat, freshening everything up but still looking original.

The headers are Random Technology ceramic coated 1 3/4 mid length headers (same as AS & M), with a modified Random Technology dual cat y-pipe (to fit with the winged Canton pan) and a Hooker Cat-back exhaust with Hooker chrome tips.

The PCM is an OBD1 unit that was programmed by Brad Brand of Atlanta Chassis Dyno years ago, for the car when it was still a 350 (everything except the bottom end is the same as it was then). The car runs very well with this tune, but I haven't done any further tuning since the new owner is going to have some decisions to make. Obviously, it won't pass emissions with an OBD 1 computer, so some may want to convert back to OBDII. The cats are both gutted, due to issues with speed bumps.There are a lot of decisons to make in the emissions/tuning area, so I leave that part up to the new owner.

That's about all I can think of at the moment...if you have any questions, please ask. I am looking for $9,000, but will entertain any serious offers. Thanks!

Edit: I will be posting pics when weather permits

Last edited by SS Joe; 05-03-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:28 PM

Price reduced to $8500
Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 PM

whats the location on th car?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:42 PM

pics pics pics