Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

wiring harness stuff

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 05:19 PM

Post wiring harness stuff

ok well i just tore apart my dashboard. I bought a wiring harness from a local store. well when i went to hook the new blaupunkt HU i grabbed the wiring harness and its basically got the GM plug on it and the other end has a bunch of wires, no plug. how am i supposed to hook this up?? do they make harness that have the blaupunkt plug and the GM plug. or do i have to cut the blaupunkt plug off and solder the wires on??
Old 08-29-2002, 09:12 PM

your blau unit shoudl have a lot of wires, as well as the GM unit having a lot of wires.

solder them together, color for color.

Ryan.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:32 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slow:

solder them together, color for color.
</font>
NO. The colors aren’t always the same. Your wiring harness should come with documentation saying what each wire is. Same goes for the blaupunkt harness. Connect them accordingly.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:00 AM

Each wire from the wiring harness should be labeled as to what they are in little tiny lettering on each wire. This information should also be on the packaging that the harness came in. Identify each wire and then solder it to the corresponding wire from the Blau HU. The plug on the end of the adapter then gets plugged into the factory wiring harness.

If your Blau HU has a Blau wiring harness plug on it you may have to cut it off. I've never seen an after-market HU with it's own plug at the ends of the wires.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:09 AM

ok well i figured out what i was doing wrong. haha i was looking at the cd changer plug i didnt see the wiring harness for the HU in the box, but now i found it. but last night i was making some connections and i wasnt sure what to do with the speaker wires that go into the HU. do i just tape them off and use the RCA jacks or what??
Old 09-01-2002, 10:24 AM

That depends on whether or not you intend to use an external amp or the HU's amp. If you aren't going to be using the HU's speaker level connections tape them off and tuck them out of the way.