Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

think i might have fried my PPI PC650....HELP!!

Old 07-21-2002, 08:39 PM

Post think i might have fried my PPI PC650....HELP!!

well i just installed my old PPI PC650 a week ago and didnt have it fastened down very well (D'OH) and it 1/2 slid into the trunk. well, to make a long story short, the power wire came loose and when i picked the amp up it touched the ground. made some sparkies......well i checked the fuses and they look ok. im gonna check the ground tomorrow.........what could i have done to my amp? it doesnt turn on anymore. i am 80% sure the clip that holds the power/ground was OFF my amp when they touched. any help would be great. im also gonna crack it open also and hope for the best....
brian
Old 07-22-2002, 06:38 AM

Why wasn't your amp anchored securely?

When the power wire came undone, why didn't you pull the main fuse? This is RULE 1 of any car stereo procedure, "Disconnect the power".

If the power wire came off, and the ground wire was still connected, how could the amp throw sparks when you touched it to ground? That doesn't make any sense.

At any rate...you may have blown an internal fuse. Or possibly a diode thats used to prevent you from accidently connecting the power and ground backwards. Another possibility is that the fuses "look" OK but have no continuity in them. The tiny filament inside may look good but may have disconnected from the tabs. You need to check for continuity thru the fuse.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:46 PM

well we checked the power, ground, and remote wire with a voltmeter and everything was a-ok, so the fuses must be fine. we then took the amp covering off and everything looked ok. what gives? why wont my amp turn on/get power? any ideas?
brian
Old 07-24-2002, 11:28 AM

could be a quandry of things...

if even some stupid little connection in the amp is off, burned, fried... whatever, at the very least the output stage will not produce... possible that the amp will not turn on...

be it protection schema's or faulty connections/grounds inside the amp, there is something not letting it come on (duh)

you say the power/ground wires were not touching. k, there is still pooled power inside the capacitors in the amp.

i had this same kind of thing happen. the power connection (the amp has 3 power and 3 ground connectors on it) mounting bracket came off and grounded on the chassis of the amp. on this amp, the chassis is used as a ground too so, it sent a wonderful little blast of voltage back through the remote wire lead, and into the head unit, frying the ground trace in the head unit.
try other inputs on the amp... if you have other amps in the car, run their connections to the amp that is bad.

if this does not help, then, you will have to have the amp repaired... and i hope your ppi is nothing like my U.S. because US does not have a repair facility (they dont service, if your amp is in warranty, you get a new one, if not, then they recommend a place called T.I.P.S. that repairs amplifiers)

if you need, i can get you the number for this place. also, you can take it to the nearest ppi dealer and see if they can send it back to the factory. otherwise email the tech help for ppi and tell the the situation, they will help you out most likely.

Lynxis

[This message has been edited by Lynxis (edited July 24, 2002).]