Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Submit your questions for new FAQ thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 12:46 PM

Submit your questions for new FAQ thread!!

That's right! Camaroz28 is finally making a Frequently Asked Questions thread right here in the car audio forum! So what I need is from you guys to submit some FAQ's!!! You know.... those easy questions that are always being asked. Like "What size are the stock speakers holes?" and "Can I add a subwoofer to the monsoon system?" After we get a bunch of questions together, PureEvil has agreed to make it a "sticky" so it will always be up top. So, that's my two questions...... who's next?
Old 02-14-2003, 12:55 PM

Firebirddude had a great suggestion about a FAQ "sticky" thread. So here is the making of it.

I will include all the wiring colors, speaker sizes, mounting depths etc for the f-body's.

I appologise for not posting and answering questions much. A few months back I left my job as the District Lead Installer for Best Buy Chicago.

Im now at a different position for the company.

I still install in my spare time, and still have many years of expirience. I am also first class MECP certified.

So please throw out any questions you have. I will sit down and answer them in as much detail as possible.

Hopefully we can make this FAQ a great collection of information for fellow f-body enthusiests.

Thanks!

Russ

Last edited by PureEvil; 02-14-2003 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:59 PM

Include stuff on making steering wheel controls work with aftermarket HU's.

How about necessary wire lengths to run RCA's and power wires to the trunk.

That's all I can think of right now.

-Eric H
Old 02-14-2003, 03:27 PM

You can find just about everything you need to know here.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:32 PM

I really don't mean to leech off ls1.com, but they have a very good one here. Most of the questions have already been answered pretty well. We just need it over here! If we could chop off some of the BS and add some of our own questions, we would have the ultimate FAQ thread!!!

EDITamn! LS1 beat me to it!

Last edited by firebirdude; 02-14-2003 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:20 PM

Well the idea is to start our own FAQ HERE. Although the thread/forumn at LS1.com is very well done and accurate.

Im sure the FAQ here will be very similar.

As soon as I get some free time I will draft the first version.

Russ
Old 02-23-2003, 04:48 PM

I guess nobody is interested in this idea.....

Some more common questions....
#1 can I use an aftermarket h/u with the monsoon system?
#2 can I add an aftermarket CD changer to the monsoon system?
#3 Where is the stock sub?
#4 Where is the stock amp?
#5 Will the steering wheel radio controls work with my aftermarket h/u?
#6 Will my factory CD changer work if I use an aftermarket H/U?
#7 Can I replace just the speakers in the monsoon system?

I'm sure there's more.... but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:56 PM

I suppose that it really doesn't have much to do with FAQ for stereos or other things, but it's a cool little trivial thing about our Camaros that everyone should know about the Cruise control.

After you have set the cruise, if you wish to speed up 5mph faster than what you set it, you can tap the "resume/accel" button on the cruise control settings 5 times (less than one second each of the five times) and it will increase the speed automatically 5mph above what it was.

To slow down 5mph, just tap the "set" button on the end of the stalk 5 times. This works with speeds other than 5mph, but that was a simple number to work with.

For FAQ, we should have pictures over here of where things are. Like "where is my monsoon amp?" I don't have a picture of it myself, but I'm sure it would be easy to get ahold of.

I'm certain that most of this will be taken from the LS1.com board. I really don't think they would mind too much but it may be nice to ask them before taking a whole bunch of info directly from the site. A link to it is one thing, actually removing it and copying it is another.

When we're building this, lets please do it in a format which will allow people to click on the question from an indexing page to go to the answer on the follow up pages.

the LS1.com FAQ is not like this and people are too damn lazy to sort through it to actually read through four pages of other worthwhile knowledge to find what they're looking for. Perhaps, we could work WITH ls1.com to simply have a link on both of our sites to a common site containing all of the information, possibly on a third party domain like fbodyelectronicsfaq.com that would have a cross link of something like "didn't find what you were looking for?" with links back to here or over there. Perhaps our little brothers over at the camarov6.com/firebirdv6.com would like this as well.

Of course these are general ideas. If there some way in particular that I can contribute specifics I would be happy to.

Maybe we could have some sort of a feature on the page that will send 10 big guys over to beat the crap out of anyone and **** rape them if someone posts there with out popping in to check out the FAQ before.

The most important thing is to make the information easy to sort through. We also need a link there for someone to add what they would like to see as an FAQ.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by DrMilhouse
Perhaps our little brothers over at the camarov6.com/firebirdv6.com would like this as well.
I was just thinking about that!!!!
Maybe we could have some sort of a feature on the page that will send 10 big guys over to beat the crap out of anyone and **** rape them if someone posts there with out popping in to check out the FAQ before.
I was just thinking about that too!! hehehehe
Old 03-02-2003, 03:35 AM
Banned

i got one....

can i make my radio controls work with aftermarket hu....

how to wire aftermaarket hu?

how to install power antenna....

what size are stock speakers...

i can think of more if u need em
Old 03-02-2003, 11:12 AM

hehehehehe Please do. Seeing as how most of those questions have already been mentioned!
Old 03-02-2003, 09:38 PM
Banned

what do i do when my stereo is locked?

what do i do after i have incorredtly entered my code for the stereo 3 times?

where to run wire thru firewall??

are any of these good faqs

Old 03-02-2003, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by stik6shift98
what do i do when my stereo is locked?

what do i do after i have incorredtly entered my code for the stereo 3 times?
good ones! Not many people probably know about this. I admit, I forgot within about 2 days after I install my aftermarket H/U!
Old 03-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Banned

ya i forgot about it too....but i was thinking about basic questions to post and im like hmmmmmmmm stock stereo...that damn code lock....

also a schematics of speaker wires that are run in the car would be a good thing to have on the faq page
Old 03-18-2003, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

How about:
What Delco/Bose decks will control a Delco changer?

Years of deck and changer compatibility would be great.

What's the difference between Bose and Bose Gold?

Quick Reply: Submit your questions for new FAQ thread!!