Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

stock speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 04:05 AM

stock speaker replacement

the time has come for me to redo my stereo. 2000 z28, monsoon system. my question stems from how many speakers. im perusing crutchfield and it states there are 4 speaker locations: back panel, front door, kick panel, rear seat side panels. back panels are the ones near the hatch supports correct? front door obviously being on the door, and rear seat side panels being the sail panel speakers? what is the kick panel? maybe im just not seeing it? when i bought it the speakers were gone from the back panels (near hatch supports) and the sail panel speakers are kind of blown along with the front door speakers. im gonna eventually get a stealth box/sub and replace the head unit, but for now thats staying as is. i want to replace my stock speakers something good enough so when i install a head unit and sub the speakers wont need to be changed. i want it to be bass heavy and loud, but nothing ear shattering, just a good system. what wattage is decent for each speaker location? dont necassarily need speaker reccomendations, as i will research after knowing what im looking for. what size exactly are each location? front door looks 4" and sail panels are 6 3/4' or 6 1/2"? back panels are 4"? excuse the noob questions as my last z28 had the stock system that was good enough. this is the first time im looking to do any type of audio work, and would like to do as much as i can myself... any input appreciated!!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Re: stock speaker replacement

ugh just went and looked over everything and i realized my amp is gone too! looks like ****e stereo till tax return...
Old 02-01-2013, 11:17 PM

Doors and sails are 6.5 and hatch is 4. You can get a decent single 4ohm around 300rms 600max for a. Decent price. Depends on the music you listen too. Hatch speakers are worthless because sub will drown it out. I'd get a 10 and upgrade from there
Old 02-23-2013, 03:08 PM

I was also looking to replace/upgrade my stock speakers, mainly the sub in the far rear. I also looked on Crutchfield for the specs. It says that all of the speakers (total of 5) are 6 3/4. Is that accurate?
My other big question is two part, what is the biggest size sub that can properly replace the stock sub, and where else would an enclosure fit without using the space for the t-tops in the trunk?
Old 02-23-2013, 03:44 PM

Welcome to camaro Z28 !!! I replaced the stock speakers, cd player and installed a 10' JL audio sub