Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Stereo and headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:22 AM

Stereo and headlight question

I was wondering if anyone knows this information:

I have a Sirius satellite, typically they just pick up a signal thru an unused radio station, but there's a wire you can buy that hooks right in so that when the station gets weak it wont affect it. You can hard wire it right into your antenna. I'm trying to figure out what this wire is so I can buy one.

I also will need a bracket to hold my sporster5 sirius on the dash, if anyone has any suggestions.

Headlight: I want an HID kit, but I don't know what to get, looking for suggestions. White HID, not blue. I have a 2001 SS.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Re: Stereo and headlight question

For Sirius/XM you;ll need the:
FM Direct Adapter

It's installed in dash, and Hardwired for power. Then it connects inline with Antenna wiring, and just simply uses that to send the signal directly. You do still need to find a "Free" FM Frequency, but it's hard wired, and just uses that frequency as a connection.

As to HIDs:
DDM Tuning is a good source.

I've had their kit in my Subaru for 2+ years now no issue (55W 5K Color). You can probably opt for the 35W Kit though..... And add the install harness, just so there's less drain on the battery on start-up (Harness is required for 55W Kits).
Old 06-17-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 96 Z 28
For Sirius/XM you;ll need the:
FM Direct Adapter

It's installed in dash, and Hardwired for power. Then it connects inline with Antenna wiring, and just simply uses that to send the signal directly. You do still need to find a "Free" FM Frequency, but it's hard wired, and just uses that frequency as a connection.

As to HIDs:
DDM Tuning is a good source.

I've had their kit in my Subaru for 2+ years now no issue (55W 5K Color). You can probably opt for the 35W Kit though..... And add the install harness, just so there's less drain on the battery on start-up (Harness is required for 55W Kits).
Thanks for the help, I'll get that harness for sirius. As for the lights, did you get it for your Camaro? I'm wondering if you got two sets, I assume that's what i'd have to do in order to have low and high beam?
And for the fog lights, is that a third kit or just a completely different thing?

thanks again.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wender
Thanks for the help, I'll get that harness for sirius. As for the lights, did you get it for your Camaro? I'm wondering if you got two sets, I assume that's what i'd have to do in order to have low and high beam?
And for the fog lights, is that a third kit or just a completely different thing?

thanks again.
Don't have them for the Camaro, but the kits include 2 bulbs and would replace each set of bulbs, so yes separate kits for High/Low and Fogs.... Although I would not use them for Highs, as they take a couple of secs to light up, so not instant on like you would want for High Beams.

For High Beams just use the HIR Bulbs

Or if you are simply looking for more light in general vs. HID Appearance just upgrade to HIR Bulbs for both Low and Highs.... I have the 9011s as High Beams in my Subaru, and trust me you won't have any issue with lighting up the road with these guys.... (You won't even need fog/driving lights)....
Old 08-27-2012, 07:20 PM

So I bought the kit from DDM, plugged them in and nothing, the lights dont seem damaged or anything, so i'm not sure what's happening. I emailed them already, but i figured i'd post here in case anyone has any ideas on what I could be doing wrong. I definitely plugged everything in the right place, it's impossible to do it wrong, and it came with instructions to boot, so i'm not sure what else it could be.