Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Something went wrong.. Help - Kinda long

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 01:11 AM

Unhappy Something went wrong.. Help - Kinda long

Original setup.. Stock Headunit, Stock Amp.. Stock speakers and a 10" Sub with the help of PAC-OEM.. All's working fine...

Today I decided to work on the car...

The install..

I installed a Din HeadUnit Kenwood KDC-MP8017 along with a 1/2 din Kenwood Equalizer... with a custom kit .. Looks perfect... I actually amazed myself.. !:worship: Got that one all fitted ...

Wiring...

Got all the wires connected. I used the Preout of the Kenwood Headunit to the input of the Equalizer... then connected the preout of the eqaulizers to the stock wiring... I realized this mistake after reading one of the threads on this board that the stock AMP only turns on when there's a speaker level signal coming in... I knew something's wrong because when I connected everything.. I only have the Subwoofer working.. all other speakers arent, which gave me the clue that the Monsoon amp wasn't turning on. This is when I found out about the Speaker level signal it needed to turn on. (Can someone please confirm this).

Re-Wired...

Ok.. Switched the wiring setup.. The Monsoon amp is up and running again.. sounds great... I connected the amp of the sub to the headunits preout. For now, I bypassed the equalizer all together until I can get enough cash to replace the stock wiring and the stock Amp. I think I can use the Equalizer to control the sub from the front... but maybe later..

The problem..

The sub won't do what it used to do. There's sound coming out of it but its working like a regular speaker.. I checked the Amp for the sub and its working fine.. I didn't touch any of its settings so It couldn't have been that. Its also Powered ON (for the smart a$$es).

Again, I connected the SUB -AMP to the pre-outs of the Headunit... I didn't change anything else.

ANy idea what I did wrong? Please? Thanks!
Old 09-01-2002, 02:18 AM

Maybe I'm not reading it right, and IM not familiar with the deck, but did you activate the SUB level on the HU? ie, can you adjust the volume seperately from the rest of the system?

My alpine(s) defaulted to having the sub output on IIRC but being a kenwood amp, you sure you dont need to activate the preouts?

Old 09-01-2002, 10:37 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bando:
Maybe I'm not reading it right, and IM not familiar with the deck, but did you activate the SUB level on the HU? ie, can you adjust the volume seperately from the rest of the system? My alpine(s) defaulted to having the sub output on IIRC but being a kenwood amp, you sure you dont need to activate the preouts?
</font>
I thought about that.. but the preouts from headunit are working since I'm getting sound from the sub itself..

The Headunit doesn't have a separate control for the SUB...

Old 09-03-2002, 10:24 PM

We just started carrying Kenwood at my job so I am not sure but I believe that that model HU has a high pass filter built into the deck that is a default preset. So when you wired the sub to the EQ on the sub preout it would have been working fine do the filter on the EQ but when connected solely to the HU it would only play in high pass mode. Now I KNOW that Kenwoods are very hard to figure out at first(my wife has the KDC-MP919) but if you look through your manual it should be in there as to how to get to the filter and switch it over.
That is what I am thinking but again I don't know the Kenwoods all that well.
Good luck

------------------
2001 NAVY Z28
SLP LOUDMOUTH
Painted Interior (Silver)
HU: Pioneer 8400MP
Fronts: RF fanatic components with the tweets in the a-pillar
Midrears: RF fanatic 63/4's
Subs: 2 Punch HE2 12's in Qlogic box
Amps: Punch 700s(subs)& Punch 500x(mids/highs)
5% tint all the way around
so far.........
Old 09-03-2002, 11:45 PM

Use one of your sets of preouts on your deck to connect to your EQ. Now, use the EQ's sub preout to run your amp. It sounds like your deck has only full range outputs or high pass only at best. Use the EQ that way you can taylor the sound of your sub to what you like.

Ryan

------------------
1994 Z28 A4, Vortech, Borla with EBorla, TPIS 52 mm TB, Hooker shorties, Electromotive SDI, LS1 brakes, AAM 3.42 rear, more.