Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

new head unit on / off on / off on/ off

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 03:33 PM

new head unit on / off on / off on/ off

New Pironeer head unit changing from a Pioneer head unit without Ipod control to one with ipod control.

Problem is it comes on than shuts itself off, comes on by itself, shuts off and just keeps cycling like this???????

I can get it to come on it did play a CD but out of every 10 tries it may play. Now it just does this stupid cycling on/off thing

what gives????? If it comes on then I put a cd in it then starts this stupid cycle again it is like the unit can't power itself enough????

I have put in a dozen head units in my time and this is no different as in red +, black -, blue is remote on, yellow is clock etc. etc.,,,, again what gives????

any ideas??
Old 12-25-2011, 03:45 PM

Re: new head unit on / off on / off on/ off

Originally Posted by pearlpurple
New Pironeer head unit changing from a Pioneer head unit without Ipod control to one with ipod control.

Problem is it comes on than shuts itself off, comes on by itself, shuts off and just keeps cycling like this???????

I can get it to come on it did play a CD but out of every 10 tries it may play. Now it just does this stupid cycling on/off thing

what gives????? If it comes on then I put a cd in it then starts this stupid cycle again it is like the unit can't power itself enough????

I have put in a dozen head units in my time and this is no different as in red +, black -, blue is remote on, yellow is clock etc. etc.,,,, again what gives????

any ideas??

Thought I would pull the remote on wire and the unit will stay on,, if I re connect the remote on the unit does htis stupid cycling thing,,, the wierd thing is the unit I pulled out was another Pioneer and there was not issues,,,,
Old 12-26-2011, 06:18 PM

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere or the unit is bad.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Found issue.

At first thought maybe too much draw on remote on cirucit (>300 ma) and installed a relay to isolate the amplifiers away from remote on line. This did not work.

After measuring the actual voltage to the unit found that the voltage was like around 10+ volts and when amps were told to come on the voltage dopped too low and that is why the unit kept turining off and then trying to come on. without amps on the voltage was just enough to keep the head unit powered up but when hooking up remote on the draw to the three amps dropped the voltage out.

Found that my battery is defective as normally the car is running so alternator supplies the reuqired voltage and my car has been sitting in the garage for the last month.

replaced battery and all is fine.