Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Need help wiring aftermarket stereo '93 Z-28

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:17 PM

Need help wiring aftermarket stereo '93 Z-28

Just purchased a used '93 Z-28 and am having some difficulties installing a different radio.

The car had an aftermarket JVC Cd player in it. It has just the 2 door speakers and the one hatchback speaker in it. The panels are there for the rear speakers but there are no speakers or wiring behind them.

I unplugged the JVC and plugged in my Sony Xplode stereo and I do get power but no sound on either the radio or the CD. I guess the car originally had the bose set up in it from what I've read in the forums.

I am going to put 6 3/4 speakers in the rear side panels. Do I have to run new wiring to the existing door speakers directly from the radio to make it work?
Old 08-20-2011, 04:55 PM

Re: Need help wiring aftermarket stereo '93 Z-28

It may be too late for a response to the question but I faced the same problem, a Bose system on my 93 two front speakers and one speaker in the rear. all these speakers have built in amplifierrs. I changed everything! new wiring, speakers....ect..Get hold of a GM manual it will have the wiring digrams for the different GM radios..I used MB Quart speakers and a Kenwood,(Junk) 791 unit, and a Pioneer Equalizer .The speakers and the Pioneer eq are excellent but the Kenwood unit is a pice of#2$**.