Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Monsoon 4 wire rear speakers??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 11:22 PM

Monsoon 4 wire rear speakers??

Got some 6.5 " infiniti speakers to replace the ones closest to the back seats.
The stock speakers have 4 wires. the new speaker only have connections for 2 wire. Anyway can't get the new speaker to work, all they do is put out a very small amount of bass with the radio on?? has anyone had this problem? I guess i'm asking how to wire them.

It is a 2001 trans am with monsoon system.
thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:51 PM

those are the factory monsoon subs and they only play bass frequencies. Unless you bypass the amp, that is all you will get out of them
Old 05-11-2009, 06:01 PM

oh ok thanks alot.

So the best thing to do would be replace it with a factory equivelant 4 wire speaker?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:44 AM

probly, if you search youll see lots of diff opinions about the monsoon systems. They did sound prety good for a factory setup but the bigest problem is when components need to be replaced. Its basicaly all or nothing staying factory or gutting it all. Some people do not agree with this so... And its not just being a dual voice coil speaker (4 wires) its also the ohms on each coil

Last edited by Chevyssoccer; 05-12-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:05 PM

Re: Monsoon 4 wire rear speakers??

I just ran into the same problem. There are two wires coming out of the speaker that go to the tweeter. Can I just attach the two car bass wires to the new speaker leads, and attach the two car tweeter wires to the tweeter wires on on the new speaker?
This isn't the exact same speaker, but it shows the wires I'm talking about.
http://www.autostyle.co.za/prodview.php?prod_id=16062

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2010, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by justenhansen
I just ran into the same problem. There are two wires coming out of the speaker that go to the tweeter. Can I just attach the two car bass wires to the new speaker leads, and attach the two car tweeter wires to the tweeter wires on on the new speaker?
This isn't the exact same speaker, but it shows the wires I'm talking about.
http://www.autostyle.co.za/prodview.php?prod_id=16062

Thanks!
It sounds like you're asking if you can convert coaxial speakers into component speakers. I'm not sure how the rear speakers are set up, but it can be done for the front components.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/stereo...t-monsoon.html
Old 12-12-2010, 07:56 PM

I guess what I was asking is if I can convert component speakers into coaxial speakers (i didn't know this at the time, or anything about speakers really).
Here's what I did: there were two little wires coming out of the inside of the speaker which were attached to the tweeter (at least I think it's called a tweeter).
I simply cut those wires and wired directly to the tweeter. It might look a little ghetto but it worked!!! My speakers are all covered up anyway so I don't care what they look like. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.
http://picasaweb.google.com/justend/...59844684902786
Old 12-14-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by justenhansen
I guess what I was asking is if I can convert component speakers into coaxial speakers (i didn't know this at the time, or anything about speakers really).
Here's what I did: there were two little wires coming out of the inside of the speaker which were attached to the tweeter (at least I think it's called a tweeter).
I simply cut those wires and wired directly to the tweeter. It might look a little ghetto but it worked!!! My speakers are all covered up anyway so I don't care what they look like. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.
http://picasaweb.google.com/justend/...59844684902786
Yep, that's what I did and it works fine, especially with my new headunit:

Name:  IMAG0015.jpg
Views: 2033
Size:  42.5 KB
Name:  IMAG0020.jpg
Views: 1961
Size:  61.1 KB

There are several speakers that actually have separate connection that are easier to mod, but like you said, so long as they're behind the speaker grille, they're okay for now until I can afford a good set of REAL component speakers.