Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Key Fob Programming Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Key Fob Programming Question

Quick backstory:

My car battery gave up the ghost and died on me. My key fob never worked again after I installed the new battery. I know the way to program the key fob. The locks will cycle like its ready to program, but nothing happens when I hold the lock/unlock buttons down. I've held them down as long as a full minute but I get nothing. Thinking that the key fob is bad I bought a new one, but same story.

When I lock the doors the security system still arms. The lights flash and when I unlock it I have to put the key in the ignition and set the ignition at run or just start it to stop the horn.

So my question is why won't my car accept the key fobs? Could something have happened when my battery died that could affect programming? I'm lost and would really appreciate any help.

Thanks in adavnce guys.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:09 PM

Re: Key Fob Programming Question

I dont know if this is the same for earlier 4th gens- when you cycle the key and the doors lock, unlock... do you get a door chime, how many chimes? by pressing the unlock (maybe lock) button on the door it will toggle 4 options (number of chimes). I dont remember the order, something like: Alarm and Keyless off, just keyless entry, both on, passive arming ... You could try messing with that and see if it lets you add the fob. That and make sure the fob battery is good.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chevyssoccer
I dont know if this is the same for earlier 4th gens- when you cycle the key and the doors lock, unlock... do you get a door chime, how many chimes? by pressing the unlock (maybe lock) button on the door it will toggle 4 options (number of chimes). I dont remember the order, something like: Alarm and Keyless off, just keyless entry, both on, passive arming ... You could try messing with that and see if it lets you add the fob. That and make sure the fob battery is good.
No chimes when the locks cycle. There were none when I previously programmed the fob and it worked fine then. Also, new battery straight from the pack.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:42 AM

dunno if you fixed it by now, but check fuses 7&8. if they are good, unplug the body control module, use a test light between the orange and black wire. if it lights up you either have a bad connection or you need a new BCM. if it doesn't you have a broken wire. or you aren't programming the FOB correctly