Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

I know, I know. But what Amp?

Old 09-04-2002, 10:15 PM

Post I know, I know. But what Amp?

I am looking into buying two 12" 2ohm Alpine type Rs and need to know what amp. I am also wondering what box? The thing is, is that I have T-tops and would like to keep the hatch area where they go accessable if at all possible. I just bought a pioneer 8400 HU and am integrating it into factory Bose system with the factory Subwoofer if it makes any difference. Thanks in advance.

------------------
~Rich
95 Arctic White Z~28
Borla, Quictime Electric Cutout, MAC Headers/Y-Pipe/Off Road Pipe, Granatelli MAF Sensor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs, Air Foil, K&N, Trans Go Shift Kit, Digital FP Gauge, Autometer Trans Temp & AF Ratio Gauges, LT1 Scanmaster, SLP Fan Switch, 160 stat, Chrome ZR1 Rims, Nitto 450s, Z~Roc Hood.
Next: Heads, Cam, Intake and Throttle Body!
Old 09-04-2002, 10:42 PM

Well, someone else can help with the amp Q, but I just wanted to let you know that I have a new box design in the works that allows the "you know what" to be stored in the well along with the box. I'm having a hard time keeping this secret. I have pics of my prototype, but not the finished product yet. E-mail me if you want to see those

------------------
Steve
4th Gen F-Bod sub boxes
www.subthump.com
Old 09-04-2002, 10:44 PM

cant go wrong with Rockford fosgate. a 360 should be enough for those 12"s.
its hard to have two 12"s and t tops. you can build a box with hinges that will let the box swing to the front to put your t tops in. or build two seperate enclosures and mount them on the sides like the stealth boxes.
check my stereo pics. i put two 15"s on my car.

------------------
93Z28 A4, MAC headers, 3.73's, 3" cut out, K&N FIPK, Power Chip,ORP,BFDR
's TBB. My Z
Old 09-05-2002, 01:07 AM

Ok, I've already changed my mind. I now am going with two 2ohm 10" Type Rs. What amp would you recommend for 2 10s? Sould I go with a mono amp or a 2 channel?

------------------
~Rich
95 Arctic White Z~28
Borla, Quictime Electric Cutout, MAC Headers/Y-Pipe/Off Road Pipe, Granatelli MAF Sensor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs, Air Foil, K&N, Trans Go Shift Kit, Digital FP Gauge, Autometer Trans Temp & AF Ratio Gauges, LT1 Scanmaster, SLP Fan Switch, 160 stat, Chrome ZR1 Rims, Nitto 450s, Z~Roc Hood.

[This message has been edited by Rich_z28 (edited September 05, 2002).]
Old 09-05-2002, 03:33 AM

I had type R's12's in my mustang and they are damn good speakers for the price. Had them running off a cadence z1200 (750 watts RMS). Look into a 600 watt rms - 800 rms amp. For amps, it depends on what you want to spend, i am a big orion fan. Plus, look into mega's boxes, steve is an awsome box builder, and knows what he is doing when it comes to f-body's

------------------
'02 Red Z28, ebony leather, M6, T-tops, Trac. cont., hurst shifter
Borla (the expensive cut-out), Wisperlid W/K&N, FRA, Cags eliminator, Strange 4.10's, G2 Rear Girdle, Valv. Synthetic 10W-30, Redline gear oil, Fat hurst shift ****, Lead foot

Soon to be:
Alpine Screen, Orion xtr 800.4, xtrpro 1000, Kicker 12L7 in a milhouse, Focal polykev K2's, Focal utopia 6" audiom midrange.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:41 AM

ok, didn't notice you were running 10's, look into a orion xtr500.2. It is a 2 channel amp that that runns 500 underrated watts rms at 4ohms bridged (thats at 12volts so when the car is running its more around 600). So you will series the 2 10's together to get a 4 ohm mono load to get the max potential out of the xtr. You can view one here:

http://www.cbrstereo.com/Merchant2/m...Code=ORIONAMPS

These amps usualy cost around 700 bucks retail. B/c they are so expensive they sell the unsold ones on the internet, for cost. This amp should push them pretty damn good.

------------------
Borla (the expensive cut-out), Wisperlid W/K&N, FRA, Cags eliminator, Strange 4.10's, G2 Rear Girdle, Valv. Synthetic 10W-30, Redline gear oil, Fat hurst shift ****, Lead foot

Soon to be:
Alpine Screen, Orion xtr 800.4, xtrpro 1000, Kicker 12L7 in a milhouse, Focal polykev K2's, Focal utopia 6" audiom midrange.
Old 09-05-2002, 05:54 AM

I noticed on ebay last night there was one. Type in Camaro and search under Consumer Electronics. You see a box and when you go in the page, they give you a website. Go there and they have a few custom enclosures that fit on the flat space between the Bose subs, inbetween the rear seats and well
Old 09-05-2002, 10:37 PM

Does anybody know how the Power Acoustik "****"s sound? They look like a pretty bad azz woofer. I believe it stated that they can handle up to 2500 watts. On a 10" woofer thats insane. Anyway just wanted to know peoples opinions on em. Also what size amp you would recommend with them? Thanks again.

------------------
~Rich
95 Arctic White Z~28
Old 09-06-2002, 04:54 PM

never heard one. but i imagine it's all hype, b/c i have yet to see a review or someone talking about them. There are alot of subs out now that handle near 2000 watts.

------------------

Soon to be:
Old 09-08-2002, 12:00 AM

For those subs you are going to want a someting around 500 watts rms total, I ALWAYS tell people to get an amp that has more than enough power for your subs then you won't be runnig the amp to it's capacity and will have more room for change if you go with other subs down the road. I would also stay away from rockford fosgate amps(I had never heard anything bad about them before) I just sold 2 amps in the past week to people who have fried their fosgate amps. The one kid who just bought a sony xm2150gsx amp says the sony sounds alot better too, and cost him alot less. E-mail me if you would like a certain amp I may be able to get it for you!

------------------
-Brian
'95 Silver TA w/ t-tops
!CAGS, 160 degree thermo, Lingenfelter CAI, PRO 5.0 Shifter, magnaflow stainless steel catback, BMR STB and SFC's, more to come.... Sound system with: Sony Deck, JBL and Lightning Audio amps, 2 Infinity Kappa 12's, and MB Quart rears and fronts.
Please visit my siteFrequency Audio for all your [b]Car[b], Home, marine, and DJ audio/video needs!