Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

How to take door panel off (w/ manual windows), also stereo wiring help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 10:06 AM

Question How to take door panel off (w/ manual windows), also stereo wiring help.

I got new speakers for the doors on my car. But, not sure how to remove the door panel with MANUAL windows. I've done it with power windows...but how do I get the manual crank off the door panel without breaking it?

Also, anyone have a wire breakdown or schematic for the stereo? I need to now the color of the wires for the + and - front speakers.

Thanks in advance

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 02-26-2004, 11:35 AM

Get a window crank removal tool and slide it under the handle. There is a clip that locks the handle on the shaft and the tool has notches that release it, or you could use a flat head screwdriver but that is a biatch. The tool is only like $10 and it can be used on any crank windows with the clip style retainer.

As far as the wires go I ended up soldering the connector from the factory speakers onto my new ones.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by mullettour
Get a window crank removal tool and slide it under the handle. There is a clip that locks the handle on the shaft and the tool has notches that release it, or you could use a flat head screwdriver but that is a biatch. The tool is only like $10 and it can be used on any crank windows with the clip style retainer.

As far as the wires go I ended up soldering the connector from the factory speakers onto my new ones.
That helps..... thanks for the info.

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 02-26-2004, 09:57 PM

I jus took mine apart today to put my door speaker. Took me forever to get that window crank off. I was tugging and pulling and then finally saw that little metal clip that holds it in. Got a screwdriver pushed it out. Door panel fell right off lol. Switched the speaker and made the stupid mistake of not trying it out before putting everything back on. I think I crossed the wires cause it is super low. And yes it is a 2 ohm speaker so it's not that 4 ohm problem. But yeah one thing to remember when putting back on the door panel is start from the top and then snap it to the bottom. I kept snapping the bottom in place first then struggled getting the top to seal right. Finally I slid it first from on top then snapped in the bottom perfect. Good luck bro. If it is your first time, just take your time and try things first. Have fun!

Edit: The positive will be the red wire, the negative is red w/black. Keep track of which one is which because I was looking at my old speaker I took out and saw that the top part was red first then red w/black next to it. The bottom was reversed. I think that is where my mistake is.

Last edited by nothingeined; 02-26-2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:23 PM

i've done it a couple of times, just get a really small flat head screwdriver... find the C clip that keeps it on, and carefully pry each side of it off, then it'll pop off... keep these bits safe adn bob's ur uncle... putting it back on, clip the C clip on the handle, slide the handle on and then use the screwdriver to push it back on...

hope that helps

ian