Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Help Please: Stereo Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:51 PM

Help Please: Stereo Wiring Question

Hope someone can help me with this: SOMEONE must have come across this same scenario.

I have the 10 speaker stereo system...I did not see a "Bose" badge anywhere inside my car. I wired in my aftermarket stereo which was no problem, and I am only getting sound in the front door speakers and the very rear hatch/trunk speakers. The sail panel speakers are not working.

My question is this: Do I wire the green wires from this "third plug" into the aftermarket stereo harness "rear speaker" wires to make the sail panel speakers work, or is there another wire I splice into to run the factory amp for the two sail speakers?

Here is a picture of that "third plug" that goes to the back of the factory Delco stereo. Here is the deal: The stereo did not turn on until AFTER I hooked the ground wire from the harness (which I had already connected to the ground wire that goes into the large plug for the stereo) into the black/ground wire that went into the below plug (you can see where I cut it right where someone else had soldered it). Do I have to wire the rear speaker wires into these green wires for the sail speakers to work, or do I have to splice the p. cont (blue and white wire) to a factory amp wire? I heard it was a pink wire, but the pink wire goes to the remote antenna wire which is not used. Plus, someone chopped off the factory plug and also used different colored wires to lengthen the wires that came from the factory...GRRRR Also, I tried splicing into that bare wire on the below plug with the p. cont (blue and white wire) and this did not make the sail panel speakers work. I also tried splicing the blue and white wire into another wire that was hanging there that was not connected to anything, and this also did not make the sail panel speakers work.

It seems that the four dark green wires with the white stripes would run the sail panel speakers, and I have no idea what that bare silver wire goes to. I am confused. If nobody answers I will just cut the green wires and use a D battery to test the wires and see if the battery causes the sail panel speaker to "move."

Name:  harness.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  55.7 KB

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Last edited by new2chevy; 09-29-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:17 AM

Re: Help Please: Stereo Wiring Question

Just put a alpine cd player in my car but I didn't have the bose opp. I still have the
installation kit instructions that has the wire diagram. I think the wires hooked up
color for color . I can list the wire diagram if you need it
Old 09-30-2012, 10:34 PM

Didn't look that closely, but this might help:
1995 Bose Stereo install Guide

BUT: the Bose system does not have 10 speakers...... There is only 5 and the 5th is a worthless 6x9 that is crossed to only produce lower bass levels (And it's actually terrible at that).

It may also be easier to simply run new wires to the sail panels... I actually re-wired all 4 main speakers and removed the "bass" speaker vs. fighting the factory wiring and dealing with the in-line amps.

Thanks to ShoeBox: Bose Wiring (Lists Colors although tricky to read)

Last edited by 96 Z 28; 09-30-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:57 PM

Thank you Parkers and 96.

I have decided I will just re-wire the very rear speaker wires to a pair of new speakers that I will install in the sail panels, since these very rear wires are getting juice.

With the front door speakers, new sail panel speakers, and a sub or two in the back hatch, it will sound great.

I'll fade the speakers to mostly the front door speakers and it will sound great, as those sail panel speakers tend to drown out the front speakers because they are so close to the back of our heads in our cars.

I did this setup in my third gen Camaro (it was much easier because the wires were originally juiced to the sail panel speakers) and only had one 10" sub in the back, and it was plenty of sound my these old ears.

Originally Posted by 96 Z 28
Didn't look that closely, but this might help:
1995 Bose Stereo install Guide

BUT: the Bose system does not have 10 speakers...... There is only 5 and the 5th is a worthless 6x9 that is crossed to only produce lower bass levels (And it's actually terrible at that).

It may also be easier to simply run new wires to the sail panels... I actually re-wired all 4 main speakers and removed the "bass" speaker vs. fighting the factory wiring and dealing with the in-line amps.

Thanks to ShoeBox: Bose Wiring (Lists Colors although tricky to read)