Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Help with box decision(cu. ft.)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 11:11 AM

Post Help with box decision(cu. ft.)

I have the chance to get a q-logic box for my Trans Am at a good price only problem is the subs I own are (2) Rockford Power 12's, they are the 1997 model that hold 1200 watts max, anyway they are recommended atleast 1.5cu. ft. of airspace and the q-logic only has .85 of airspace for each chamber, I am going to be getting rid of the car around december so I don't want to drop alot of more money in the car, since my local shop wants $275 to build a box for the subs. I know they won't sound as good as they can in the smaller box, but exactly how bad will it sound in a smaller box? Thanks

------------------
1995 Trans Am Blk on Blk, M6, #7 Procharger with 3 core intercooler, Bosch 42lb. injectors,Autometer gauges(Fuel pressure, Air/fuel ratio, and Boost,) Hot cam, MAC headers, off-road pipe, Custom flowmaster catback, Custom Taylor wires with over the valve cover looms, Star Spec Stage III clutch with unsprung hub, Hurst shifter, 98+ tailights, Dyno tuned via LT1 edit, 17inch Chrome Neeper Syncros w/ Nitto DR
428rwhp @5600rpm
AOL IM:Blown95TA

Check out my Camaro show car for sale. Here's a pic http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/appea...o/pegasus1.JPG
Old 08-13-2002, 11:19 AM

with that much of a difference in air volume they wont sound that good
Old 08-13-2002, 11:45 AM

IMHO, they will sound good enough until you can afford a pair of subs that are a better match for the Q enclosure. Who knows, you might even like the way your RF's sound and not even bother. That's the neat thing about car audio. "By the book" enclosure design doesn't always apply in a car audio system thanks to each individual car's transfer function. Throw a little ployfill in each chamber and see what you think.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:20 PM

I would go with the bigger box IMO. I know that the rockfords sound better in my 1.5 cube (per sub) enclosure than in my 1.0 cube enclosure. So by putting them in an even smaller box will hurt them even more. Rockfords need huge amounts of air for some reason. I just don't think it will hit hard enough with .85 cubic feet each.

I would make a box for ya for the same amount, but the shipping would put the total over what your shop quoted. Course my box is probably better IMO. It would look something like v6maros or 98bird's box on my installs page.

www.subthump.atfreeweb.com/installs.htm

Do whatever you want. If you're gonna get rid of this car and not get another f-body it doesn't matter--save yourself the $$ and get the Q. Food for thought.

------------------
Steve
4th Gen F-Bod sub boxes
www.subthump.com
Old 08-13-2002, 11:07 PM

Well does anybody know of a sub, that only requires .85 in a sealed box, and a pair can be wired to give my Orion 900.2 a 4ohm load?

------------------
1995 Trans Am Blk on Blk, M6, #7 Procharger with 3 core intercooler, Bosch 42lb. injectors,Autometer gauges(Fuel pressure, Air/fuel ratio, and Boost,) Hot cam, MAC headers, off-road pipe, Custom flowmaster catback, Custom Taylor wires with over the valve cover looms, Star Spec Stage III clutch with unsprung hub, Hurst shifter, 98+ tailights, Dyno tuned via LT1 edit, 17inch Chrome Neeper Syncros w/ Nitto DR
428rwhp @5600rpm
AOL IM:Blown95TA

Check out my Camaro show car for sale. Here's a pic http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/appea...o/pegasus1.JPG
Old 08-14-2002, 08:24 AM

Here's a couple suggesions. Not sure about the wiring since I'm not familiar with that amp. Alpine Type Rs, Kicker comps, and JL12w3s might sound good too.
Old 08-17-2002, 07:25 PM

I think you mean the Rockfords require a 1.5 cu space fora ported box..
Old 08-17-2002, 08:14 PM

jlw3 dual 4 ohm, wire each sub to 2 ohms and then series the two subs for a 4 ohm load!! you'll be happy!
Old 08-18-2002, 08:49 AM

I would have to recommend against the 12w3 in that particular enclosure, since the 12w3 takes an absolutly HUGE box to achieve a decent QTC, .85 cubes per sub is just going to be WAY too boomy. The RF power series will probably go better in that size sealed box than the w3 will.

The Alpine Type R goes in a pretty small box, and if you can spend more the Adire Brahma 12 is about as good as you can get for small enclosures.

------------------
Soundillusions.net
The ultimate in caraudio.

Sony, Arc Audio, Infinity, Adire Audio, A/D/S