Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

First amp install ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 AM

First amp install ?'s

First off it's not for a fbody if that matters. I'm not part of a audio forum so I'm pleading for some help here.

I'm helping a friend hook up this 4 channel amp http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...Power-760.html

We are trying to run it in 3 channel mode for his front components and single 10" sub.

He has this head unit http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DEH2...ures_and_specs

The headunit only has one set of rca outputs and we are totally confused on how wire this up. We have power to the amp but nothing is coming out of any of the speakers. I am pretty confident we need to do some more splitting of the rca cables but just cant figure out where.

Any help would be awesome
Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 AM

Re: First amp install ?'s

First question. did you hook up the trigger wire to the amp. not just the power and ground wires. You should be able to split the rca's before the amp. looks like you could run channels 1&2 as your speakers. i may be wrong, but you could run one rca for each channel and split off of either of the cables into another channel for the sub. there should be instructions for this with the amp.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:13 PM

From the diagrams in the manual:
- You probably do need to split one of the RCAs and have that as input into the '3rd channel/Sub' Signal Input
- You also do need to hook up the Remote Turn On wire, although that simply ensures the Amp turns on/off with the Head-Unit

I would check that there isn't a setting on the Head-Unit to disable the RCA Signal, some have menu settings to turn it off.

You also may need to adjust the Main Signal Level on the amp, it's possible it's very low.

Lastly - check that you didn't set low pass for the main speakers.

If none of that works review all of your wiring, and make sure nothing came loose or is crossed up.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the help.

We figured it out. It was a combination of noobish errors....splitting one of the rca channels to the sub, needing to turn the gains up, hooking the left channel to right etc...

It is working now. Now we just have to tune it I suppose.

One question about tuning. The amp has a built in crossover and the components came with a crossover. Do we just set the amp to "full" and the component crossover do the work for the front speakers?

Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 PM

I would still set it to High Pass Filter and then adjust the setting dial to ~60-80Hz. Basically you have a sub to handle the Super Low Bass frequencies, so set the Crossover point to stop most of those from being produced by your main speakers. Then set the Crossover on the Components to separate Treble (Highs) from the Mid Range (Main to Tweeter Crossover Point). Just make sure to set the Sub to LPF and adjust it's crossover to ~ the same point.

You can check the specs on the mains, most go down as as low as 45Hz, but the lower you go the more you'll be working the Mids, and the more distortion possible. So if you keep them well away from the lower limits, they'll produce better sound. Same reason you go with components in the first place.... To have specific frequencies handled by distinct speakers... Think of the Component Mains as a Mid Bass / Mid Treble...