Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Dead battery, now car alarm won't stop.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 AM

Question Dead battery, now car alarm won't stop.

Alright, so my T/A had been having that issue with the engine so I let it sit for a few weeks and the battery died. So, today I went to jump start it and as soon as it got a little bit of charge, the alarm started going off with the lights going up and down and turn signals flashing and everything. I unlocked the door and put in the key in the ignition and nothing. But it did let me turn on the radio. I tried letting it sound for a while but after a bit it would simply restart or lose charge. So I disconnected the alarm sounding device but the lights still kept coming up and down and lights flashing and everything. Now, I didn't even know this car had an alarm system. So, is there any way to deactivated the alarm system so i can attempt to start my car? Or should I call the previous owner and see if they have an alarm remote? Also, is this alarm factory or aftermarket? because the wiring seemed to be just hooked in. Well, any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:38 AM

Re: Dead battery, now car alarm won't stop.

check ecm ign. fuse #5 and ecm batt fuse #4. your car's anti theft module should be behind the radio and to the right, attached to the air bag bracket. if there is another one under the hood it is aftermarket. does the car start? crank? anything other than make noise. i'm guessing that it is aftermarket. My 97 z28 uses the horns instead of a p/a speaker. figure out where/what kind it is.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:01 PM

No, it won't start or crank. But I don't know if it's because the alarm is sucking up all the battery power or because the antitheft system won't let it. And I'm not sure but the thing I disconnected to stop the noise was right behind the drivers side headlight.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:04 AM

does your security light come on the go out during the bulb check when you first turn the key on? I'm also still thinking that you have an aftermarket system. i'm not sure on 94's and i'm also not sure on pontiacs, but my guess is that the stock one would use the horns. you could try tracing the wires from whatever you unplugged and see where they go. likely they'll go under your dash on the driver side to some type of box. if you know the guy that you bought it from or have his number call and ask him. figure out if you have aftermarket or stock and we'll go from there.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:53 PM

unplug the battery while charging. If there is a siren (not the horn) it is definately aftermarket. They dont use enough current to stop you from starting, but they do have a starter disable relay to prevent you from starting. There will be an alarm brain somewhere, more than likely it will be right next to the stearing column and ignition harness where most of the needed wires are. You can find out what kind you have by looking at the brain and get a replacement remote, or you can remove it. Its not hard just follow each wire back to where it is tapped into the cars wiring and disconnect it. The only thing that would need to be repaired would be the starter wire. It will be broken and the two ends going to the relay or brain (depending on the alarm). It will also be a hevier gauge wire. Just reconnect where it was cut in two. what makes this hard is if the person who installed it did a crappy job and everything is a mess.
Most users manuals can be found online so you can learn how it works. There might be a valet button to turn it off without messing with any wiring, Good luck.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:09 PM

Got a replacement battery, had a warranty and Advance Auto Parts and tested and determined the battery was messed up. So should I hook up the battery and see if the problem persist? It appears as if the alarm makes the horn (I think its the horn) sounds and flip all the lights on and off (interior, exterior, etc.). Is that typical of a factory alarm or is it maybe an aftermarket one hooked up to the light switch and horn? Should I try the VATS disable using a resistor, or should I look for an alarm brain near the steering column. Maybe I could follow the cables on the little red blinking light on the dashboard and see where that leads.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:26 PM

It honestly sounds more like it was just the battery tripping out the electrics in the car. try the new one, the headlights do weird things when the voltage is low or the gear is worn. If you still have problems with the new battery, then I would look for another cause. Neither aftermarket or stock alarms should flash the headlights.

Last edited by Chevyssoccer; 03-20-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 AM

Alright, thanks. I'll give it a shot today. I needed to hook it up anyways to bump the engine to adjust the rockers and stuff. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 AM

Problem solved. I connected the new battery and the alarm and lights started going at it again. So, I disconnected it and traced back the cables from the red blinker light in the dashboard to a sort of module for an alarm. It said Omega Freedom 500 Keyless Car Alarm Remote System. It was hooked up pretty good into the lights and everything, but it had two fuses, so I decided to take a chance and unhook them and see if that would work. Sure enough, after I pulled out those two fuses, I hooked up the battery and everything was normal. It even cranked when I turned the key. So, I don't think I should have anymore problems with that. I just left the fuses out and place the module somewhere where it shouldn't be a hassle again. In case anyone is wondering what alarm system it was that caused the horn to sound and all the lights to come up, it was this bastard. I'll probably figure out how to get a new controller or just disconnect the damn thing later on, but for now, it should be good as it is.

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/F...te-System.html