Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Bose System w/New Head Unit Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 PM

Bose System w/New Head Unit Help

I have a 95 Z28 with the 5 speaker Bose system. Is there a way to keep all the factory speakers and run an aftermarket head unit? i know that the Bose system runs at 2 ohms (i believe) and aftermarket at 4 ohms. I have read online about an adaptor to connect a new head unit to the Bose wiring.

What adaptor is this and if you can explain how this works? Will the sub in the trunk still work, and will this cause any problems with the amps that are connected to each speaker? What is everyone using to run an aftermarket headunit with Bose speakers??
Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 AM

Re: Bose System w/New Head Unit Help

I think you have it confused with the monsoon systems, the bose will adapt just fine, the radio harness is the same as the non amplified version. When you change the radio, just make sure to hook up the amp turn on wire. It will be the 3rd wire in on the 6-pin plug with the powers, ground, and illuminatino wires.

The only issue anytime you increase the radio output and run through the amp is that the volume increments can be pretty large (it gets loud fast). If that is a problem then you would have to disconnect your bose amp.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:09 PM

So youre saying that an aftermarket headunit will connect to the wiring harness with no problems. The only thing affect is the increase in sound coming from the Bose speakers? Will this cause an distortion in sound quality at low or high volumes? Ive tried doing some research online, but ended up with hundreds of different opinions. Im looking for a straight forward answers from people that have dealt with this.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 AM

I wouldn't do it....

Basically what happens is the Bose amps amplify an already amped signal from your headunit. This really just increases distortion overall, and makes the entire range louder at lower volumes... If you like listening at any decent volume I GUARANTEE you'll hear the distortion...

I choose to bag the entire Bose System (It's actually not that good in the first place), and add amps & a true Subwoofer... Night & Day as to sound quality. If you can't afford/don't like that option, then I would simply run new speaker wires to all four of the mains and replace them with standard 4 Ohm speakers. This will eliminate the 5th Speaker, but it's really not a true sub anyways they just have an inline filter for highs... So any decent aftermarket speakers will provide just about the same amount of bass anyways.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by camar06702
So youre saying that an aftermarket headunit will connect to the wiring harness with no problems. The only thing affect is the increase in sound coming from the Bose speakers? Will this cause an distortion in sound quality at low or high volumes? Ive tried doing some research online, but ended up with hundreds of different opinions. Im looking for a straight forward answers from people that have dealt with this.
Yes, It will cause some distortion by amplifying an amplified signal, with certain radio brands it is not as noticable- Ones that have a smaller step between volumes.
No, it wont just plug into the car's harness. You will need something like Metra's 70-1858, or 80-1858, and make sure the amp turn on wire is used, but this is the same thing that the non bose cars would need too.

As far as speakers are concerned: your car is what 15 years old? You would strongly benefit from replacing the speakers, but if they sound ok now it is something that you could just as easily do later. I dont know why people insist on running new speaker wires. If you are not running a big dedicated amplifier to the door speakers, the factory wire is more than suficient. The Bose amps are on the back of the speakers in the door. There will be 4 wires: amp power, ground (heavy wires), and two signal wires (from the radio to the amp). If you replace the speaker with something aftermarket you can us these two signal wires for the new speaker.

Last edited by Chevyssoccer; 01-05-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the help. These Bose stereos seem to be a PITA. Well looks like Im going to have to save up to replace everything, or find the same Bose stereo used and just replace it so I can listen to cds. i appreciate all your input.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:59 PM

You can use the Bose system with an aftermarket head unit. I have a '95 Camaro with the Bose system running a Blaupunkt MP57 for 3 years now with no problems and it sounds great, much better than the factory head unit.

I ordered the unit from Crutchfield along with an installation kit including an "OEM Amplifier Integration v.4" box inline with the wiring harness adapter. Click on the link below to see it. When you order from Crutchfield the website asks for your vehicle info then after adding a head unit the shopping cart this will pop up as a suggested item.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Popup...px?I=142C4GM02
Old 04-03-2011, 05:01 PM

I put a clarion in mine a few years back with some kind of adapter for the amps to set them to sound better and it still sounded like s%&* so I just put the bose back in. I think I'm just going to ****** it all out n start over cause I want an in dash screen and plus my speakers are rattling
Old 04-12-2011, 11:42 AM

I pulled all the Bose stuff out. Not because it was really that bad, but because I kept having to resolder the board inside the amp in the door. I pulled all the Bose stuff and installed Pioneers in the doors and pillars, and then installed two RF 12's in a sealed box with 300 watt amp. The only factory wires I'm using are the power, constant, and ground at the head unit.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:35 AM

I ditched all the factory stuff and ran all new wires to new speakers too :-P It was quite an endeavor but made 1000% difference in sound, especially since i have dedicated subs and used component speakers. I had to fab up some wood adapters to fit my speakers to the front doors, but it was worth it!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:22 PM

I'm having the same problem where do u run the new speaker wires from do u splice into the wires from the harness out of the back of the radio out to the new speakers I just want to put new door speakers