Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Will GM challenge the Challenger before 6th gen Camaro or...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Re: Will GM challenge the Challenger before 6th gen Camaro or...?

Chrysler/Fiat announced 707 HP for the Hellcat. That is impressive.

2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat - Video - Car and Driver
Old 07-02-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlueCruiser
Apparently the 6spd tremec car has run a 10.9

The 8spd auto will be even faster.
Bone stock?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
Bone stock?

That's the word on the Dodge boards.

The auto went 10.58
Old 07-06-2014, 10:00 PM

According to wiki that would make it the 5th fastest production car in the world (at the 1/4 mile) I'm fairly confident in saying the production version will not be that fast on stock tires. That's a full second faster than the 13' GT500 and .8 seconds faster than a ZR1.

(Link)

Last edited by King Moose SS; 07-06-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:37 PM

Well the argument raging over on the Dodge boards is whether it was done on drag radials and whether the cars had the tuning turned up.

But I happen to believe at this point the 8spd auto will be in the 10s off the dealer lot.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:26 PM

Yea, that's possible. On radials I see no reason why it wouldn't be a 10 second car. On street tires... I have my doubts.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:19 PM

Seems like they should include a factory rollcage as I don't think most tracks will let you run 10s without one.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:15 AM

Goodness, no one saw a 700HP 11.2 second Challenger coming lol.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
He said "in a road course". The Challenger is not known for it's handling prowess. The Z28 is international class. Maybe they'll invest some effort in improving the handling of the Hellcat, but it they don't it's a "straight line" car.
On a road course the 1LE will probably be enough to walk away from that silly thing.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by mdenz3
On a road course the 1LE will probably be enough to walk away from that silly thing.
So you must spend a lot more time on a Road Course than an actual street then, right???
Old 11-12-2014, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
So you must spend a lot more time on a Road Course than an actual street then, right???
What are you going actually to do with 700hp on the street?
Old 11-14-2014, 08:34 PM

What are you going to do with a car that handles the track on the street??

In neither case will you use half of what either vehicle is capable of....and in both cases, both vehicles have practical attributes in everyday driving that one can use with a lot of reserve.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:23 PM

I dunno? go fast, that's what I do with 650 whp on the street.

700 horsepower in a street car with a blower and modern engine management is not like riding around in some raw 700 horsepower big block from a few decades ago.

I do it rain, snow (what little we get here in the south) and shine with no problems.

That said, if you see a ding dong riding around on drag radials in the rain with the traction control off prepare to enjoy the show and attendant carnage when they try and slingshot onto the highway.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:09 AM
West South Central Moderator

Talking Re: Will GM challenge the Challenger before 6th gen Camaro or...?

Originally Posted by bossco
That said, if you see a ding dong riding around on drag radials in the rain with the traction control off prepare to enjoy the show and attendant carnage when they try and slingshot onto the highway.
I did that once! In my defense it wasn't raining when I left the parking lot. I literally saw the whites of the eyes of the driver coming toward me as I was doing a 360+ degree spin on the interstate in DFW in my 96 Impala...
Old 11-21-2014, 05:19 PM

The Hellcat, as mentioned earlier, is a Challenger with a very powerful engine. The Challenger doesn't do much of anything better other than go in a straight line.

Chrysler hasn't had anything to boast about in the last 40 years except the Viper and Charger. There's a reason why #3 of 3 is so far behind Ford and GM (1 & 2 in whatever order).

Chevy has decided to make a car that can outhandle the others while still producing quite a bit of power. Ford has made the Mustang somewhere inbetween.

I've seen riders on 250cc motorcycles lap others on 600cc bikes at the track even though the 600's have 3x the power. Put those talented riders on a 600 and they'll lap others on 1000's.

Anyone with the credit can purchase a high HP car, take it to a cruise night, install colorful LED's and chrome plated parts covers. I see circlejerks of Mustangs, Challengers and Camaro's at various car shows and cruise nights monthly. They all have 3 year or newer cars that already have 400-600HP, they throw on some tire shine and think everyone that see's them will be impressed. Not. My grandmother can buy the same car and take it to the same show and look like every other clone.

I'm not impressed anymore with the cars that come stock with 500HP or more. What I want to know is if these people that are driving them are any different than an 18 year old squid that buys his first GSXR motorcycle and rides like a maniac, endangering everyone on the road he's around, and kills himself within the first 30 days.

If you have the talent to drive any high performance car and stay within your limits congrats. Most don't. I see it in Austin whenever the F1 races are going on. Idiots in Corvette's, Lambo's, Ferrari's and such take to racing on the side roads, highways and toll roads. When one crashes because he can't control the car the others keep going. Idiots endangering everyone else. Last year a guy in a Corvette went airborne on the toll road and admitted it wasn't the first time. His Vette had a full roll cage. At least he knew he was an idiot but that didn't stop him.

So why do we need 700HP cars again? Because we're free to purchase them. I'm also a believer in license grades like Europe has. You have to prove you can drive to get a higher grade. But then I'm in the minority. I am for motorcycles legally lane splitting and am in the minority there too.

I prefer a better handling car than a straight line car. I prefer riding twisty roads on my motorcycle than slabbing it on the highway all day. I've been to NHRA drag races and they were great, been to one NASCAR race in Sonoma (road course) and that was great too. Just have the talent and intellect to know where your limits are and ride/drive within them. Also respect others around you (street racing is bad, hmm kay?).

Quick Reply: Will GM challenge the Challenger before 6th gen Camaro or...?