Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Why not a new Chevelle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 11:43 PM

Question Why not a new Chevelle?

I was thinking, that along with the new GTO, why not give Chevy a new Chevelle? It would be the same as the old A-Bodies, with each division sharing the chassis. I saw a rendering of a possible Chevelle design in a Super Chevy mag a little while back, it was based on the 70 Chevelle. Looked good. GM could make some money off this, and thats what they are looking for, right? Granted, Holden probably doesn't have the capacity to make more of these cars, so a factory would have to be tooled up here in the States. Heck, even give Buick one, call it the GS. No 442, obviously. I'm just bouncing ideas around, what do you guys think?

------------------
1994 Polo Green Z28 A4 3.23

Flowmaster Cat-Back, K&N CAI, Moroso plug wires, 160 thermo, LT4 KM, Hotchkis LCAs, Panhard Bar, SFCs, ES Tranny Mount, Cut out, 52MM TB, !Cat, TB Bypass
Coming soon: MAC Headers, BFG DRs

Best time: 13.79 @ 100 (bad traction)

1969 Chevelle Malibu
Le Mans Blue
396 ci, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Comp Cams 270H, Edelbrock Q-jet,Hooker Comp. Headers, 12-bolt with 3.31s and a Powertrax, Cragar S/S
Old 07-10-2002, 11:41 AM

Cool

Because it would look too much like a cavalier. Or a malibu.

<sarcasm may have been invovled>
Old 07-10-2002, 12:15 PM

Why not a chevelle??

Do I have to even explain this....

Next someone will be saying "Why not a Cadillac Cimmaron" Or whatever that POS Cadillac J-body was called.

------------------
Branden-Founder www.GMInsidenews.com
The #1 GM News Site on the Net!
1995 Firebird A4
White with red leather
1979 Firebird Formula SOLD!!! 8/2001
Visit my homepage!
Old 07-10-2002, 12:31 PM
Prominent Member

Actually, I would guess that there is a finite market for RWD V8 sedans and with CAFE standards, etc...this is would be yet another division of sales that couldn't be justified.

I think the availability of both a Camaro and Firebird caused smaller sales numbers for both vs the Mustang...along with the additional engineering / designing $$ didn't help the cost either.

One too many boats in a small lake I'd say.....

Old 07-10-2002, 12:57 PM

I think a chevlle would be nice.But think GM needs to fix some of there fwd to rwd(impala,monte carlo)first.They dont have to be huge performers just the swicth would be nice imo.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:29 PM
cmc

Rear-wheel drive is not the solution to generic never-handled-that-well bread and butter sedans anyway... and a Chevelle would just mean less Camaro money.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:05 PM

I agree with all of these posts. GM is obviously moving away from the "same car, 3 different divisions" lineup that it used to use. Camaro will probably be back but probably not Firebird. GTO is coming with no Chevelle. Heck, even GMC is going off in its own direction somewhat, they aren't just the "rebadged Chevy truck" line that was offered 5 years ago. If it was the Big 3 and No One Else market that it was in the 60's, a Chevelle could probably be justified. Now there's too much competition for sales between 20 automakers, let alone different divisions inside one company.

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.
(Hey, I'm a college boy I can't afford gobs of bolt-ons!)

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:12 PM

You guys make good points. I was also think about Dodge's possible Charger, could it be said that they are having the same problems justifying that car, and thus the on-again, off-again production status?
Old 07-10-2002, 04:00 PM

Chevy already has too many coupes in their lineup. They certainly don't have room for one priced in the $30-35k range. It doesn't make sense to put the money into another front end for a limited production car like this also. I'd take another look at GM's truck lineup before declaring them free of not rebadging the same product. The current MotorTrend even cites this as history repeating itself from the Jbody fiascal.

------------------
-JERRY-
'02 Impreza WRX
'88 Fiero Formula
'90 Sunbird LE For Sale
Formerly owned: '93 Firebird Formula
Old 07-10-2002, 04:07 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jrp4uc:
I'd take another look at GM's truck lineup before declaring them free of not rebadging the same product.</font>
I know there is still a lot of platform-sharing going on (T-Blazer/Envoy/Bravada stand out), but my point was GMC is starting to debut some unique trucks, like the one Brandon posted not too long ago, while Chevy is coming out with the SSR and already has the unique Avalanche. I think we'll continue to see some differences by division. It's a lot better than the old days where everything GMC was a blatent re-badge of a Chevy.

------------------
Mark

Old 07-10-2002, 04:10 PM

I'd like to see a Chevelle, but I'd rather see a Camaro. And as stated before, why bring it back?? Just to look like all the other cars in the already boring lineup they have?? Why make it look like a Chevelle?? When the musclecar thing gets even more crazy who knows what will come back?? I just hope if anything does its done right and not like the GTO.

[This message has been edited by IZ28 (edited July 10, 2002).]
Old 07-11-2002, 12:34 AM

I agree with Al Harrison....they need to fix what they already have. The current Wimpala and Monte Carlo are really boring. They dont have to be top line performers.. just have the potential to be with optional performance packages.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:33 AM

Yes, they do need to fix the current cars and make them what they're supposed to be and use different or new names for these cars thats they currently have the names on. And compete with F**d and the others on every level, I bet they would outsell them and make better cars than their competition.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:09 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z28Wilson:
Chevy is coming out with the SSR and already has the unique Avalanche.
</font>
It's shared with Cadillac Escalade, so not even the Avalanche escaped this.

Old 07-11-2002, 01:01 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by muckz:
It's shared with Cadillac Escalade, so not even the Avalanche escaped this.
</font>
True, the platforms are the same but I guess what I'm getting at is the functionality/setup and looks of the trucks differ. I consider the Avalanche to be different from the EXT, simply because it costs, what, at least 10 grand less?

------------------
Mark

Quick Reply: Why not a new Chevelle?