Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

When did you fall in love w/the F-Body?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 06:58 PM

Question When did you fall in love w/the F-Body?

Reading Chuck!s thread made me think about when I was a little kid and I first fell in love with the F-body, specifically the Camaro. I can remember when I was about 4 or 5 years old and for Christmas I got a Hotwheels playset and some cars to go with it. One was a green C2 Corvette but my favorite was a black 3rd gen Camaro with a blower sticking out of the top. This must have been around '82 or '83. After that, I knew I had to have an F-body. My uncle also used to have a 79 Trans Am that I thought was the s**t. Alas, I am still F-bodyless (poor college student) and I may never get the opportunity to own a brand new one.

So how 'bout you guys. When did you fall in love with the F-body?
Old 12-13-2002, 07:26 PM

I remember when I was five or six (1974-5), my father had a friend who was getting married and he wanted me to be the ring bearer in the wedding. His name was Roadrunner Louie (he had a late sixties Roadrunner) His fiance drove a 1st Gen Camaro SS 396. I remember seing her launch the SS and it lifted the skinnies off the ground by about six inches. That car started my obsession.

Years later (1983) my cousin bought a 1983 Z28 White / Silver ground effects, red Z 28 stripes, red interior (I think) w/ T-Tops. He had a built 350 installed and spent his spare time swapping out T5's and 10 bolts. That car reinforced it.

Once IROCs came out, I remember walking home from school and hearing a Chevy small block winding out. I turned around to see a Black IROC cresting a hill about two blocks away. The IROC stayed at WOT flew past me, and shot off into the distance. That car cemented it. This is why I can't bring myself to sell my IROC after owning it for 11 years.

Last edited by Ed 2001 SS; 12-13-2002 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:58 PM

My dad had a 1978 Z28 with many mods, it was fast
Since I remember I always like the Camaro since kid

To me you can always tell if it is Camaro, every Gen , even if you don't know about them, they are special
Old 12-13-2002, 10:11 PM

Bobby,

Its funny, that Hot Wheels Camaro you have....I have 2 of the same car LOL. I also have one done up as a "California Customs" somewhere, also a Hot Wheels. I always liked that Hot Wheels too

My first Camaro love? Can't really remember, it was that long ago. I think my first real Camaro memory was the cover of a Motor Trend back in 1987...my dad had a subscription to Motor Trend (I have all back issues dating back to June, 1979 ). On the cover back then was a red IROC convertible...the picture of that car still stands out perfectly in my mind. 2 years later, my mom bought an '89 Camaro RS on September 6, 1989. I can remember that day like yesterday, I was so happy, at age 9. Nine years later, the car was mine, like brand new, with 56k miles. 4 years later, March 2002, I sold it sadly with 96k...I was told recently the car that was so mint just 6 months ago has already been run into a tree Memories can be good, yet painful too...never should have sold it. But if it hadn't been a lousy 2.8, I'd still have it!
Old 12-13-2002, 11:26 PM

In 1992 when I was 16.
I saw some pics of the new 4th generation 93 Camaro Z28.
Never looked back. I knew I had to have one.
I didn't get one until I was 22.
I like my car.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:41 PM

i bought a 79 z28 cheap($150)and i loved it but being 15 it was too much to insure so i sold it and vowed to get anthor so when i saw the one i have now in the paper i knew i had to have it.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:07 AM

I saw a 2001 Sunset Orange Metallic Z28 w/ Ttops at a local dealership 2 years ago and instantly became my favorite car.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:42 PM

Girl I went to school with had a Camaro and I'd ride to school with her some. It was a 3rd gen with a V8, but it wasn't an IROC. Later she got an IROC and I rode in it a few time and I had to have one. Wasn't too long afterward that I bought my IROC. Those were the good ole days!
Old 12-14-2002, 02:29 PM

i was in grade 8 when the 4th gen first came out and i told myself that was the first car i would ever own
well it turned out to be the fourth but it will also be the last i will not own another car unless i also have a camaro in the garage
Old 12-14-2002, 02:41 PM

Location: Carbondale, Illinois (home) Champaign-Urbana, Illinois (school)
I was 15 and I knew I wanted something fast. My best friend had a red 1990 Corvette convertible and he was old enough to drive. We would race down back roads, win drag races, and we even took it to Florida once (road trip following his parents of course). I fell in love with Chevy, and I loved their engines, but the vette was just too small. Well, everyone says its a corrupting influence, but thank God for advertising in our schools. In driver's ed one day, we watched the Armor All car care video. Some guy was using Armor All products (of course) on his polo green 94 Camaro... that day I went home and said "I want a Camaro!" My dad said "Yeah right, we'll never get you that. A few weekends later, my dad and I went out "Just to look and have some fun. We're not getting you anything." We test drove a 1994 V6 with t-tops and over 100,000 on the clock. It was great, but after that I knew I had to have a V8. My dad said "Yeah right! That's too much power, we'll never get you that." I went home and excitedly jabbered at my mom about getting to test drive the Camaro. She was going back to college at that time, and the next day she came back with an ad for a beautiful Medium Patriot Red Metallic 1994 Z28 w/Ttops. My dad said she could take me and have a look, but there was no chance of getting it. The first thing she said when we got back was "Oh Rich, it's SUCH a beautiful car." Hehe, I won. Now I'm in college and making payments on my own Camaro
Old 12-15-2002, 12:53 AM

http://www.mwshowgo67.com/formula99/obsession.htm
Old 12-15-2002, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by BigDarknFast
http://www.mwshowgo67.com/formula99/obsession.htm
I remember when you posted that! One of the best stories I have ever read.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:12 PM

Thumbs up

Anyone remember Knight Rider?

That show got me hooked on F-bodies!
Old 12-16-2002, 01:29 PM
Disciple

I've liked F-Bodies since I was about 8 or 9. When I rode in my dad's car as a kid, my dad would point out a Camaro or Firebird and be like "there's one!" and I'd be all "wow cool!".
So in summer 1992, the time came for me to think about what kind of car to get. I remember saying "If they weren't changing the body style, I'd get a Camaro".
Then I saw a 1993 Camaro in person and quickly changed my mind.
So on May 4, 1994 I purchased my first Camaro, a Red 1994 Z28.
Since then it's all I can drive... and I'm now driving my 5th Camaro.
And I even picked up a 3rd gen Firebird now as a 2nd car, it's awesome!
I'm definitely hooked, I can't imagine driving a car that's not a F-Body.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:41 PM

10/1/89 1990 IROC-Z 5.7 test drive. Wow...this is a fast car.

So...on 10/15/89 (2 days before the earthquake), I ordered my 1990 1LE 5.7 and it was finally delivered on 12/31/89.

Amazing car for the time.....sold it to a collector 7 months later for way more than I paid for it.

Damn...wish I'd kept it!

Quick Reply: When did you fall in love w/the F-Body?